GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t want this to come off like a “rag on a vendor” post but I got my new Ultimate seats delivered today and wanted you all to be aware of an issue in case it happens to you.

They did a very nice job on the build and I ordered mine with the red stitching to go with the red paint. After installing, I took the bike for a short ride and noticed both the passenger and rider heater lights were fast blinking on the dash. Tried turning the bike off, tried disconnecting and reconnected both plugs thinking maybe they didn’t seat properly when I re-installed. Nope, didn’t correct the issue and I had to call Ultimate for guidance.

Spoke with a nice guy in their tech support and he said that most likely the pins in the plugs were incorrectly placed when assembled. He said that this has been an ongoing problem with the supplier of the plugs. I asked why they wouldn’t test a seat before being sent out to a customer, especially for 1850 bucks. He told me they don’t have the ability to test the heater function there at the shop and basically, to test it is to install it on the bike and see if it works. If not, then you got a bad plug and have to arrange a return.

Again, this isn’t a post to beat up on Ultimate, they make a nice product. But I do feel that sending out untested or unverified product is unacceptable.

I also asked if he could instruct me how to place the pins properly as I was willing to do it myself but he said that required a special tool and if done incorrectly, the entire seats garbage. So, if you plan on ordering from Ultimate the first thing you wanna do is verify your heater functions operate upon installation.

Ultimate already sent a return shipping label and I’m totally confident they’ll take care of it, so other than going thru a little bit of a hassle, it’ll get worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
I probably know of 8 people with a ULTIMATE seat on a 2018 + so I question your comment on "that this has been an ongoing problem from the supplier of the plugs " Good luck

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I don’t want this to come off like a “rag on a vendor” post but I got my new Ultimate seats delivered today and wanted you all to be aware of an issue in case it happens to you.

They did a very nice job on the build and I ordered mine with the red stitching to go with the red paint. After installing, I took the bike for a short ride and noticed both the passenger and rider heater lights were fast blinking on the dash. Tried turning the bike off, tried disconnecting and reconnected both plugs thinking maybe they didn’t seat properly when I re-installed. Nope, didn’t correct the issue and I had to call Ultimate for guidance.

Spoke with a nice guy in their tech support and he said that most likely the pins in the plugs were incorrectly placed when assembled. He said that this has been an ongoing problem with the supplier of the plugs. I asked why they wouldn’t test a seat before being sent out to a customer, especially for 1850 bucks. He told me they don’t have the ability to test the heater function there at the shop and basically, to test it is to install it on the bike and see if it works. If not, then you got a bad plug and have to arrange a return.

Again, this isn’t a post to beat up on Ultimate, they make a nice product. But I do feel that sending out untested or unverified product is unacceptable.

I also asked if he could instruct me how to place the pins properly as I was willing to do it myself but he said that required a special tool and if done incorrectly, the entire seats garbage. So, if you plan on ordering from Ultimate the first thing you wanna do is verify your heater functions operate upon installation.

Ultimate already sent a return shipping label and I’m totally confident they’ll take care of it, so other than going thru a little bit of a hassle, it’ll get worked out.

Hummm...

Spend that much money then get a seat that's a crap shoot if the heater works or not?
Then you either fix it yourself with a high risk of damage, or have to immediately send the seat back?
Seriously how tough could it be to test the seat heater connections?

Sorry but it seems kind of a poor way to do business IMHO.
JMHO...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I probably know of 8 people with a ULTIMATE seat on a 2018 + so I question your comment on "that this has been an ongoing problem from the supplier of the plugs " Good luck
You can question whatever it is you want. I simply relayed exactly what was told to me by the man I spoke with on the the phone. You don’t wanna believe me, let your fingers do the walking and give them a call. But you really should make sure before you call me a liar. Give em a call and ask for Russell. I don’t have a dog in a fight with Ultimate. Did I bash them or state their product was garbage? No I didn’t! Was simply trying to help other folks that have one on order or may have recently installed one and haven’t checked the heater yet.

Ya know Laen, I question whether or not you actually know 8 people that bought an Ultimate seat. Thats a lot of seats sir.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hummm...

Spend that much money then get a seat that's a crap shoot if the heater works or not?
Then you either fix it yourself with a high risk of damage, or have to immediately send the seat back?
Seriously how tough could it be to test the seat heater connections?

Sorry but it seems kind of a poor way to do business IMHO.
JMHO...
Yeah that was my feeling about it too. But I’m not bashing them. They’ll do whatever it takes to fix the issue. But the box the seat arrived in was pretty trashed by the shipper and I’ve went thru an entire commercial size roll of packing tape to get the box back together. It’s more of a pain to deal with then anything. The seat IS very nice and I think once the bugs get worked out, it’ll be really nice to have.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I have had two of their seats and each was wonderful. I am confident that you will be taken care of, BUT why can't they learn to use a multi-meter to verify the pin-ins? That is disappointing.

prs

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,085 Posts
I would think it would be trivial to build a test harness to confirm the heater, and read the thermocouple value back. Don't need to "control it" as per a normal install, but make sure it heats up and you can sense a temperature difference.

Hmmm - I wonder if Ultimate wants someone to design and build such a device for them!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,761 Posts
Well sometimes mistakes are made...as long as they jump right on it, make it right and pay for shipping what else can be done...at least its in the winter and you won't really loose much riding time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think it would be trivial to build a test harness to confirm the heater, and read the thermocouple value back. Don't need to "control it" as per a normal install, but make sure it heats up and you can sense a temperature difference.

Hmmm - I wonder if Ultimate wants someone to design and build such a device for them!
I asked Russell why the seat wasn’t tested prior to shipping it out. His response was “do you know how to test it?” I said, “of course not, I just popped the thing on the bike, that’s my test.” He said, “well there ya go.” He went on to say that they have no way of testing them and I kinda didn’t know what to say at that point.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well sometimes mistakes are made...as long as they jump right on it, make it right and pay for shipping what else can be done...at least its in the winter and you won't really loose much riding time.
Depends upon where you live! It's year-round riding here in SoCal... Unless a little rain today scared you off (not me); the Wing is great in the rain!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not concerned about it. I’m in Southern California so it’s not really winter here and we ride most of the year. They are jumping on it. By the time the seat gets back to them and then shipped back, prolly be a week or so.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Idk Dan but if that’s your industry may wanna give those folks a call bud.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,761 Posts
I’m not concerned about it. I’m in Southern California so it’s not really winter here and we ride most of the year. They are jumping on it. By the time the seat gets back to them and then shipped back, prolly be a week or so.

Well I know how you feel not being able to ride your bike...sent my seat to RDL in CA...will be without for about a month with the shipping both ways and all

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I asked Russell why the seat wasn’t tested prior to shipping it out. His response was “do you know how to test it?” I said, “of course not, I just popped the thing on the bike, that’s my test.” He said, “well there ya go.” He went on to say that they have no way of testing them and I kinda didn’t know what to say at that point.

Huh. There's like 12 pins. That's not that many, really. And it is a really simple circuit: 4 thermistors, three heating elements, and a single switch:

So should be simple to make a test fixture. Apply power to heaters, let it run for a few minutes, measure resistances of the four thermistors (make sure they're reading right). Then check the switch activates by placing a dummy weight (100 pound sack, from a pulley) on it. Done.

If you talk to Russell again, tell him there's a guy that can build them a test fixture and define out the test process for like the price of a seat...:)

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
295 Posts
Dan can do it!:cool:(y) If Dan can figure out how to do reverse lights then a test fixture for the seat is a piece of cake!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huh. There's like 12 pins. That's not that many, really. And it is a really simple circuit: 4 thermistors, three heating elements, and a single switch:

View attachment 378614

So should be simple to make a test fixture. Apply power to heaters, let it run for a few minutes, measure resistances of the four thermistors (make sure they're reading right). Then check the switch activates by placing a dummy weight (100 pound sack, from a pulley) on it. Done.

If you talk to Russell again, tell him there's a guy that can build them a test fixture and define out the test process for like the price of a seat...:)
He indicated that the plugs are purchased from an outside source and I think he said either they recently changed vendors for the plugs or their vendor is the only ones that made the plugs, can’t remember. But he did say they’ve had several customers with this issue. I got the feeling this was a very recent problem.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

View attachment 378614

”Passenger Seat Belt Switch”......
Damn, I got jipped.....no seat belt on my Wing, I’m taking it in for an update! :geek:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm sorry that has been your experience with Ultimate Seats. They are a great company which sells great seats. I have purchased 5 myself. They were shut down for several months due to the pandemic and their normal supplier may have gone under. The fact that they are paying for shipping and making it right is a testimony to their brand. You still have the stock seat so no down time just the annoyance of waiting. I get it but life goes on.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts