GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I'm sorry that has been your experience with Ultimate Seats. They are a great company which sells great seats. I have purchased 5 myself. They were shut down for several months due to the pandemic and their normal supplier may have gone under. The fact that they are paying for shipping and making it right is a testimony to their brand. You still have the stock seat so no down time just the annoyance of waiting. I get it but life goes on.
Uhhh yes. And as I’ve said several times the seat quality seems to be fine. I never said life was going to stop or the earth would cease to rotate on its axis. Ultimate is a wonderful company. Super duper. Fantastic. I’m not bashing Ultimate!

And by the way; you make it sound as if Ultimate Seat is doing me a big gigantic favor by paying for the shipping to and from. I’m sorry. For 1850.00, apparently it’s wrong of me to have a reasonable expectation that I get what I pay for. Next time you buy a new car or truck and the engine needs replaced while it’s under warranty, you can take solace in knowing the car company did you a solid by paying for your rental car while your ride was in the shop. I’m sure you have a second automobile and it’s just an annoyance but hey, life goes on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,085 Posts
”Passenger Seat Belt Switch”......
Damn, I got jipped.....no seat belt on my Wing, I’m taking it in for an update! :geek:
I used a few pieces of duct tape, but the wife was not appreciative...

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,085 Posts
I don't have reverse lights...Where are these lights...I'm QFL...
Coming... Been a little project to just satisfy my curiosity.

But now I'm thinking I need to figure out seat belts, too...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I received my Ultimate seat one week ago. The heat in the seat seems to be working fine.

Now, you’ve got me wondering, is this a fail waiting to happen?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I received my Ultimate seat one week ago. The heat in the seat seems to be working fine.

Now, you’ve got me wondering, is this a fail waiting to happen?
No. The way it was described is the pin location on the Ultimates plug was incorrectly put together where the alignment with the Honda plug doesn’t make contact. So if yours is working your good to go. Check both seats tho make sure your passenger seat is hot

·
Registered
587 Posts
Uhhh yes. And as I’ve said several times the seat quality seems to be fine. I never said life was going to stop or the earth would cease to rotate on its axis. Ultimate is a wonderful company. Super duper. Fantastic. I’m not bashing Ultimate!

And by the way; you make it sound as if Ultimate Seat is doing me a big gigantic favor by paying for the shipping to and from. I’m sorry. For 1850.00, apparently it’s wrong of me to have a reasonable expectation that I get what I pay for. Next time you buy a new car or truck and the engine needs replaced while it’s under warranty, you can take solace in knowing the car company did you a solid by paying for your rental car while your ride was in the shop. I’m sure you have a second automobile and it’s just an annoyance but hey, life goes on

I'm not trying to make this sound like anything. You are the one who got an inferior product. ALL I was trying to do was console you and let you know it will be made right. You are so busy being mad and lashing out at everyone who shares their experience that you have not sat down, taken a breath and realized the world is not perfect and this to shall pass. I hear ya, been in the same boat on other products, it's going to be ok. Try to enjoy your weekend. It's a sunny 44* here in Orlando and I'm going to meet some friends for breakfast and ride...riding cures everything.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm not trying to make this sound like anything. You are the one who got an inferior product. ALL I was trying to do was console you and let you know it will be made right. You are so busy being mad and lashing out at everyone who shares their experience that you have not sat down, taken a breath and realized the world is not perfect and this to shall pass. I hear ya, been in the same boat on other products, it's going to be ok. Try to enjoy your weekend. It's a sunny 44* here in Orlando and I'm going to meet some friends for breakfast and ride...riding cures everything.
Lashing out? Lol ok. You got cute and I called you on it. Nothing more to see here. Move along.

And thanks for trying to console me. Appreciate that. However I don’t need your sympathy. I’m letting people know of a potential problem that may or may not affect them IF they purchased a seat from these folks. Simple. People like you wanna make little comments so they appear to be contributing something when in reality your trying to put me down.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
With Ultimate, one's OE seat is not sacrificed. Thus, no riding time lost waiting for a return of your modified seat.

prs

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I wonder how they plan on fixing it if they can’t test it......

Smells fishy to me.......
Not sure if he will do a bench test of any kind or just take apart the plug on each of the seats to verify the contact pins are where they’re supposed to be. Other than that, yeah I kinda wondered the same thing myself.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
So if Ultimate knows what wires to move to which location on the seat plugs to fix the problem, and the wires are color coded why would they not just verify the correct color is in the correct location before shipping it out? Do not need to test the seat, just verify the the pin out.

This is also interesting because the Ultimate seat on my 2013 has quit working and I talked with Russel some months ago about it, he said I could come by the shop and they could test it for me. The schematic shown in a previous post looks to be very similar to the one for the 2013 seat heating system.

Bottom line is, as long as they man up and fix it and pay for the shipping, all should be good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So if Ultimate knows what wires to move to which location on the seat plugs to fix the problem, and the wires are color coded why would they not just verify the correct color is in the correct location before shipping it out? Do not need to test the seat, just verify the the pin out.

This is also interesting because the Ultimate seat on my 2013 has quit working and I talked with Russel some months ago about it, he said I could come by the shop and they could test it for me. The schematic shown in a previous post looks to be very similar to the one for the 2013 seat heating system.

Bottom line is, as long as they man up and fix it and pay for the shipping, all should be good.
You bring up a good point about the testing. One minute Russell mentioned that they had no way of testing the seat, but at the end of the conversation, he said once they get the seat back, they’ll test it and fix it with a same day turnaround. I don’t know if it was just his wording or if I misunderstood, but it got my attention.

I agree with you totally. My question to Russell was how can you send out a product without it being tested. He gave me a few muddy explanations of how it happened to which I wasn’t entirely clear. His attitude was more like we will get it taken care of ASAP but not so detailed in the explanation of how and why.

Yes they’ll take care of the problem and I’m not concerned about it in that regard. But it seems like a waste of time and money for everyone, not just me the customer. Someone’s gotta pay the shipping. They have to pay a worker to correct and fix an issue on a product already paid for. To me it’s just money down the toilet. If things were checked and tested to begin with, then we wouldn’t be discussing this now.

I don’t understand their manufacturing process but I had enough confidence in the product reviews and talking with different people to place an order. In the end it’ll get sorted out.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Had 2 on my Indians and 1 on my current '19 'Wing. 100% satisfied. But regardless of what it is, if it's man-made every once in a while something will screw-up. Just saying . . . . .

·
Registered
169 Posts
Huh. There's like 12 pins. That's not that many, really. And it is a really simple circuit: 4 thermistors, three heating elements, and a single switch:

View attachment 378614

So should be simple to make a test fixture. Apply power to heaters, let it run for a few minutes, measure resistances of the four thermistors (make sure they're reading right). Then check the switch activates by placing a dummy weight (100 pound sack, from a pulley) on it. Done.

If you talk to Russell again, tell him there's a guy that can build them a test fixture and define out the test process for like the price of a seat...:)
Dan you missed one heater. If you build a test fixture be sure to include that test. "C" 18-4.

The Honda manual has a test that shows the correct reading for temperatures for the thermosistors and another test for the heating elements. Using an ohm meter and knowing the temperature it is easy at the connector. I believe Ultimate does not make the heating element and for mine the wire colors are not the same as the stock seat. But knowing most electrons are color blind I usually go by the pin position. I have seen Russel test seats and he knows how. But the real test is on the bike. If the heater pin is pushed back, in the wrong spot or the wire is broken the bike will detect an issue and flash a warning. I have heard of a good number of people that have found heated issues with the ultimate seat. As far as I know they stand by the product and work to resolve any issues. Some too hot, some too cold and some just right. Please update this with the fix for your seat. I do not work for Ultimate seats but did meet several of them when I got my seat. With the cost of this seat I think expecting a fully tested unit is reasonable, but what temperature should the seat be at each setting and for various relative conditions? I'm seeing some of the Honda seats have issues. I would love to know their settings/temperature/environment and testing specifications.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This thread has convinced me that when it comes time to change my seat out for an Ultimate I'm going to take the 2 1/2 hour ride up to Daytona and let them put the seat on at their shop. I would be buying their standard black seat so easy enough to change out right there if something is wrong. Last time I bought one of their seats I did it at Bike Week. They installed it and let me test it out for a couple of days before I made the decision to ride home on it and shipped my OEM seat home for me. Since I'm not doing Bike Week this March because of the pandemic it's probably something I will do at Biketoberfest later this year. Hopefully we will be in better shape by then.

·
Premium Member
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag TRiO
151 Posts
I'm sorry that has been your experience with Ultimate Seats. The fact that they are paying for shipping and making it right is a testimony to their brand." I have purchased 5 myself. They were shut down for several months due to the pandemic and their normal supplier may have gone under. The fact that they are paying for shipping and making it right is a testimony to their brand. You still have the stock seat so no down time just the annoyance of waiting. I get it but life goes on.
Agreed on the " The fact that they are paying for shipping and making it right is a testimony to their brand." Not sure on "They are a great company which sells great seats." Everyone has individual issues which need addressing. But to hear they don't test their seats when they go out is not the sign of a great company. And to know this is not a 1-off issue is kinda disturbing. Setting up a test rig just wouldn't be that complex! We have switched vendors for parts and we test, test, test!!! I hope they get this resolved quickly!

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don’t want this to come off like a “rag on a vendor” post but I got my new Ultimate seats delivered today and wanted you all to be aware of an issue in case it happens to you.

They did a very nice job on the build and I ordered mine with the red stitching to go with the red paint. After installing, I took the bike for a short ride and noticed both the passenger and rider heater lights were fast blinking on the dash. Tried turning the bike off, tried disconnecting and reconnected both plugs thinking maybe they didn’t seat properly when I re-installed. Nope, didn’t correct the issue and I had to call Ultimate for guidance.

Spoke with a nice guy in their tech support and he said that most likely the pins in the plugs were incorrectly placed when assembled. He said that this has been an ongoing problem with the supplier of the plugs. I asked why they wouldn’t test a seat before being sent out to a customer, especially for 1850 bucks. He told me they don’t have the ability to test the heater function there at the shop and basically, to test it is to install it on the bike and see if it works. If not, then you got a bad plug and have to arrange a return.

Again, this isn’t a post to beat up on Ultimate, they make a nice product. But I do feel that sending out untested or unverified product is unacceptable.

I also asked if he could instruct me how to place the pins properly as I was willing to do it myself but he said that required a special tool and if done incorrectly, the entire seats garbage. So, if you plan on ordering from Ultimate the first thing you wanna do is verify your heater functions operate upon installation.

Ultimate already sent a return shipping label and I’m totally confident they’ll take care of it, so other than going thru a little bit of a hassle, it’ll get worked out.

No "ability" to test the heater function"? That is absurd. The seat is on the bench. Turn it over and plug a pigtail in. Geeeezzze....this ain't rocket surgery!

Chief

Reactions: Roadie
21 - 40 of 67 Posts