GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks...

Does anyone have any FIRST-HAND experience with an Ultimate Seat on a Wing? I'm familiar with them on my Valkyrie and Intruder, but they are both 2-piece seats, wile the Wing (driver and passenger) is a 1-piece. Also, comments on the regular height passenger backrest vs the higher backrest. Im no interested in any comments about other seats..., just the Ultimate. THANKS!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Brain,

Well I don't have an Ultimate, never sat on one, never saw one, but I'm an expert on nothing so that makes me qualified to answer your question and my Corbin is the bestest seat ever........just kidding :wink:

I had one on my Valk and now have the Midrider on the Wing, what a wonderful seat for my backside. NOTE: the usual disclaimer...."seats are subjective!"

Put it on just days before leaving for Nova Scotia for approx 3 weeks. Did just under 3000 miles, never had a single complaint or sore butt. My wife also had no complaints and she loved the Ultimate on the Valk. We now have over 8000 miles and several 10 hour days with the seat and no regrets.

Not sure how to respond to your question on the passenger backrest, we have the standard height. To my knowledge they only offer the standerd or Lowline not a higher version. The standard is the same height as the OEM but leans a little more forward.

I'm 5'9", 31" inseam and 195lbs, the Midrider fits my perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
975 Posts
Brian,

I purchased the Ultimate mid rider last summer and LOVE it. It feels like the top layer of padding is a little softer than the OEM seat but the lower layers are firm enough to not let you sink all the way in. The OEM seat felt like a flat board to me after a few hours.

I also ordered the driver backrest for myself and the rider back rest for the wife. She now sits up a little straighter and stays more comfortable during the long days in the saddle. I even sprung for the red ostrich leather (simulated ) inlays. Very good workmanship and a very comfortable seat.

Not sure where you are located, but there is a Honda dealer in Henderson NC, just south of Asheville that has 30+ Goldwings on the showroom floor. I saw lots of seat models that you could check out.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Brian:

I heard alot of great information about Ultimate seats from Valk owners, so I bought one. I had the Low Rider. It was the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had. It was so bad that after 30 minutes, I was trying to stand on the footpegs to relieve the butt-ache! I tried it for about 1000 miles, and it never got better. I was VERY disappointed, as the comments on the Ultimate website made it seem like I would be amazed at its comfort. Others may have had a different experience with the Ultimate Goldwing seat, I don't know. To their credit, Ultimate did take the seat back and refund my money, although I had to pay postage. The seat was very well crafted and looked great. if you buy one, I hope you have better luck than I did! Regards, A06

·
Registered
115 Posts
Brian:

I got the low rider when it first came out. It was very comfortable but not designed for my inseam. When the mid rider came out I met Des at Honda homecoming and tried riding on it. It made all the difference in the world. I also have their driver back rest. I left the passenger back rest as stock since I rarely ride 2 up.

For me this is the seat. To each their own. I do not think you will be unhappy with the quality of the product nor the service you get from Ultimate. Between the seat and the Mik-O-Pegs I am very comfortable riding all day long.

George

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased a Mid-Rider last spring. I was very impressed when I opened the box and saw the quality of this seat. This seat looks like it belongs on the Wing and installs much easier than the stock seat, no spacers to fall out! I was not happy with the comfort of the Midrider. They agreed to take it back and send me another Midrider with a more dense foam. The denser foam was a definite improvement but I still could not get comfortable. The seat base just seemed to be too short to me and I could never get the driver's backrest to hit me in the right place. I wanted this seat to work really bad because it was the best quality built seat I had seen for the Wing. I ended up sending it back and getting my money back. These were great people to work with and the quality of their product is the best I have ever seen but the comfort just wasn't there for me. If you give them a try the worst case is that you are out some shipping money and time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

First and foremost - Des and all the folks at Ultimate are an absolute pleasure to work with. They will bend over backwards to accomodate your needs.

I have the Ultimate Big Boy on my Wing and it is currently the seat of choice. Sitting in my shop are a stock with Wingsoft upgrade and a Hartco Pro Tour, but the Ultimate is the one that stays on the bike.

Additionally, I have the cut down back rest which my co-rider loves and I think improves the look quite a bit.

If you can get on that fits your posterior, you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
I have an Ultimate Big Boy on right now. Put in on late last winter. I bought it because the Ultimate on my VTX is a GREAT seat! Very large and comfy. The Big Boy Wing version is also a delight for the passenger; BIG ole Butt area and firm support, the passenger back rest is top notch too. BUT, the driver's seat leaves much to be desired. Its just too small. I am not overwieght, 6'4" and 238# with 40" waiste. My butt hang over both sides- the only support I get is on the tail bone area. The seat also tapers in so quickly toward the front that my under legs have no suport at all. The stock seat was way worse, but the Ultimate is not as good as it could be. It needs to be 4 or 5 inches wider in the pan and with molded in under leg support going foreward. WIth the stock seat I was saddle sore in two hours, with the Ultimate I can ride four hours without a stretch, but it would be even better if it supported my whole ars and under thigh area. I don't know if it would be possible for Des to that or not. On the positive side, it looks great, it goes on very easy and the pasenger is in 7th Heaven. Maybe I need to steal the seat off of an old hay rake.

prs

G

·
I would pretty much echo what Pigeon Roost had to say. I also have one on my VTX and that is what prompted me to get one for the Wing. I also agree with his view regarding shortcomings of the seat, but overall it is worlds apart from stock. Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but the Big Boy seat moves you up about half an inch and also back an inch and a half or so, and that makes for more leg room. Quality is great and so are the folks at Ultimate.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kevinrlbd said:
Hey Brain,

Not sure how to respond to your question on the passenger backrest, we have the standard height. To my knowledge they only offer the standerd or Lowline not a higher version. The standard is the same height as the OEM but leans a little more forward.

Kevin
Sorry..., you're right. I must have been standing on my head when I was looking at the backrests <smile>. Thanks for the comments...

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay Hoover said:
Brian,

I purchased the Ultimate mid rider last summer and LOVE it. It feels like the top layer of padding is a little softer than the OEM seat but the lower layers are firm enough to not let you sink all the way in. The OEM seat felt like a flat board to me after a few hours.

I also ordered the driver backrest for myself and the rider back rest for the wife. She now sits up a little straighter and stays more comfortable during the long days in the saddle. I even sprung for the red ostrich leather (simulated ) inlays. Very good workmanship and a very comfortable seat.
Glad to hear that you like your Ultimate. I believe they use that "memory" foam in their seats, so it ultimately keeps its shape better..., even after a lot of use. Des (at Ultimate) hand built me a seat for my Suzi Intrruder, and I got the blue ostrich inlays..., very nice indeed.

And how about the driver's backrest..., does it suit you? I've never really used a driver backrest, but it seems like it would be nice on a long trip.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Airborne06 said:
Brian:

I heard alot of great information about Ultimate seats from Valk owners, so I bought one. I had the Low Rider. It was the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had. It was so bad that after 30 minutes, I was trying to stand on the footpegs to relieve the butt-ache! I tried it for about 1000 miles, and it never got better. I was VERY disappointed,
Im glad to hear good AND bad comments..., it makes things more objective. Sorry you didn't like it, but did you think of trying the MidRider seat, as it give a bit more room.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geogyporgy said:
Brian:

I got the low rider when it first came out. It was very comfortable but not designed for my inseam. When the mid rider came out I met Des at Honda homecoming and tried riding on it. It made all the difference in the world.
Good comment. I had originally looked at the LowRider, as it was a bit snugger (on me) than the MidRider..., but Im starting to think that the MidRider might be the way to go. Fortunately, Ultimate is just up the street from me in Toronto (I spend summers up north and winters in Florida), so I'll likely give Des' shop models a good try before I decide. Your comments (and the others here too) are at least pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fiftysomething said:
I wanted this seat to work really bad because it was the best quality built seat I had seen for the Wing. I ended up sending it back and getting my money back. These were great people to work with and the quality of their product is the best I have ever seen but the comfort just wasn't there for me. If you give them a try the worst case is that you are out some shipping money and time.
Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. You're right..., Des and his crew are great folks, and if they cant make a seat fit you, probably no one can <grin>. Fortunately, if it turns out that I DON'T ultimately like the seat, it's only a 5 minute drive to their shop, so I wont even have to pay for shipping.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rikkitik said:
Additionally, I have the cut down back rest which my co-rider loves and I think improves the look quite a bit.

If you can get on that fits your posterior, you won't be disappointed!
Great to hear that you like the cut-down backrest. I have been sort of leaning that way, but hadn't heard any other comments on it. I do most of my riding 2-up, so "honey" has to get some consideration too... <grin>

And you're absolutely correct..., fitting your butt is most important.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More replies later..., thatnks for all the comments so far..., keep them coming...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I tried the Big Boy (being 6'4 and 290 pounds, it seemed logical), but I have to echo PR's comments about it being too narrow for the driver. I have not butt to speak of, and still it hung over the sides. I let Des talk me into trying a mid-rider, and it was a better fit; I just wish it were taller. The ARE very well made seats, and my wife thinks it's the best we've ever had; she LOVES the backrest.

I wish I could say I wasn't thinking of replacing it, because it IS a very nice seat... but if I had the money and found a seat for a tall heavy guy with no butt....

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
X-Wing said:
I would pretty much echo what Pigeon Roost had to say. I also have one on my VTX and that is what prompted me to get one for the Wing. I also agree with his view regarding shortcomings of the seat, but overall it is worlds apart from stock.
I guess almost any aftermarket seat is better than the stock saddle..., but I really appreciate all the comments..., good and bad. I'm just about 5' 11" and tip in around 215lb..., so I think the MidRider will be right for me.

For anyone else who is thinking about an Ultimate, Des usually brings a whoe trailer load of demo seat to various bike fests, such as Biketoberfest and Bike Week (in Florida). Being able to sit on all the different sizes and shapes, one after the other, might help.

Thanks for alll the input...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.