GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an 06 Wing and in April 2010 a local Honda dealer came to my house and paid cash for it. I had it in my mind to buy a 2010 model from a dealer in Tennessee. My wife said she would like to ride a Harley this time!!! We have always rode Hondas, VTX, Valkyrie, and Goldwing.
I thought what the heck I can always trade later and within a couple of weeks we had a new Ultra.
Well I have ridden it a year (4000 miles) and I still can't get the urge for a new Wing out of my head. My local dealer (same one) has three 2010 xm/Nav bikes on the floor. I have tried four times in the last month to trade my Ultra for one of the bikes. No deal. Guess I will have to ride it for another year or two.
Don't get me wrong, the Ultra is a great bike, but I is no Goldwing.
Tracker

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you are stuck with an Ultra, that ain't a bad place to be stuck. I rode a new one at the HD's open house a few years ago. I thought it rode nice. You can't beat the looks of the HD.

In my search for a touring bike, I also rode the BMW 1200LT, and thought that was nice too. Then I rode an 1800 and decided on that for 2-up riding. I bought new in 2008, level 3 because I wanted the ABS brakes. My wife and I now have about 25,000 miles on it and I still love it. Have to admit though that the Ultra still catches my eye. Enjoy it for the years you have it. Maybe next bike will bring you back to the 1800. The 2012's are growing on me and I like some of the new features.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was up in the air for a year or so between the Ultra and Wing while I was saving up for a down payment. I went with the Wing but have to admit I can't keep my eyes off the Ultras :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ultra Wing

Just traded by 2009 Ultra on a 2010 Wing. I thought the deal was very good. There is a dealer here with 2010 Wings that can do the deal.

Moon Motors
Monticello MN.

Ask for Marlin.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
As many guy's that we have right here that brag up the Harley, maybe someone will trade you. :shrug:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I sold my 08 wing and bought a 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Classic limited with the 103 motor with a 6 speed trans. It's a great combination for the big Harley. The wing was a great bike but I like the H.D. just as much as the wing. Two great bike but different in there own ways.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I'm liking my GW more all the time. I don't think I would part with either one, so I could get the other one, but. At this point, riding 2 up, pulling a 5 to 6 hundred pound camper around. I believe the GW is better suited for what I want to do.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
We had an 06 Wing and in April 2010 a local Honda dealer came to my house and paid cash for it. I had it in my mind to buy a 2010 model from a dealer in Tennessee. My wife said she would like to ride a Harley this time!!! We have always rode Hondas, VTX, Valkyrie, and Goldwing.
I thought what the heck I can always trade later and within a couple of weeks we had a new Ultra.
Well I have ridden it a year (4000 miles) and I still can't get the urge for a new Wing out of my head. My local dealer (same one) has three 2010 xm/Nav bikes on the floor. I have tried four times in the last month to trade my Ultra for one of the bikes. No deal. Guess I will have to ride it for another year or two.
Tracker

4,000 miles in 12 months....you need to rearrange your priorities. :joke:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
4,000 miles in 12 months....you need to rearrange your priorities. :joke:

That is typical miles for a HD rider, hard to rack up the miles riding sat. to the HD dealer and wed. night to the local bar.

DanL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry If I gave the wrong idea about our riding style. It's 90 mmiles to the nearest HD dealer and we don't frequent the bar. Until just before we sold the Wing we were ridding 12000-15000 miles per year. In the 6 months pryor, I retired and we got married. We thought we would ride a lot more. Then she found she has stage 4 colon cancer. Lots of trips to St Louis to the doc for treatment and several surgerys. We ride when she feels like it and I ride a little more with my buds. We hope to ride more this summer.
Tracker

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That is typical miles for a HD rider, hard to rack up the miles riding sat. to the HD dealer and wed. night to the local bar.

DanL
I have a friend with a 2008 Wing, last time I asked him, he had between three and four thousand miles on it. Dang, I didn't know he was a bar hopper.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a friend who just bought a 2005 Goldwing with 1400 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Tracker
A used Harley is worth more than a new wing, this is a quote from two of our local Honda dealers.:agree:

·
Registered
374 Posts
A used Harley is worth more than a new wing, this is a quote from two of our local Honda dealers.:agree:
Need their names..I had been wondering what to do with this old Ironhead sportster in my garage. :joke:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Tracker
Sorry to hear about your wife. My wife and I miss our 2010 Ultra, we had 12K miles on it when I sold it. I like our wing for travel but we miss short trips with the Ultra.
How much are you selling the thing for?

·
Registered
583 Posts

DanL
So how you fell about your smartazz comment now!!

GM

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your wife.
Prayers sent from Michigan, for her and you.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
OMG.... LMAO...Got a frienld that just took my Wing for a ride last weeken and he is now looking for a new Wing..By the way he has a 2005 Harley that was $30,000 in 2005 and is now worth $15,000..Not a real good value anymore..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts