GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an ultraguard 1/2 cover. Has anyone had a problem with the metal hooks scratching/gouging the plastic on a wing? I might buy some of that liquid plastic dip for tools and dip the hooks.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've used one for over 4yrs with no problems with the hooks. I hook them on the foot rest for securing the cover. When I take it off I fold up the hooks and straps inside the cover so they are out of the way.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a couple of wire ties that were looped trough the tabs to the size that they will slip over the foot pegs
That won't work for me because I have the Kuryakyn Iso Wing pegs.
I'm just afraid that if I "toss" the cover on one of the hooks might gouge or scratch the plastic...I can't believe the knuckle heads at Ultraguard used metal hooks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have the half cover with the metal hooks and I don't like them, I'm thinking about getting 'Liquid Electrical Tape' and coating the hooks with it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
That is one of the reasons I went with the Tour King cover...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
My ultragard half cover has rubber tips on the hooks, bought in 04, maybe they changed that. :shrug:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I removed them, I just pull it over the windshield and front of the farring, and the back over the trunk.
It's never come off yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had ordered an Ultraguard 1/2 cover last week and picked it up today. That was my first thought when I opened it up that I would have to cover those hooks with heat shrink. It will be done tomorrow. It does seem that they would use plastic hooks, but I suppose they would be prone to breaking.:shrug:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heat shrink...never crossed my mind. Thanks for that idea. I'm off to the hardware store as soon as they open.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I took the metal hooks off and I stretch the elastic they were attached to over the foot pegs to hold the cover on, works great for me

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put the heat shrink tubing on about an hour ago. Works great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts