GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it required to have the CB in order for the SO to either hear the music or have intercom?

Otters aka Fluffy

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
No but she will need a headset and mic for in helmet listening and intercom. J&M, Edsetts, are the most popular.

Congrats and happy hunting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that was going to be my next question.. as to where and approx cost to get 2 helmets with the headsets installed?

Fluffy

·
Registered
466 Posts
J&M Elites and Edsets 3G will run around $200 each for the system and cables. Helmets are your choice but some are more difficult to install the com system in.

You should decide what com system and helmet you want, then call around or surf the web to find a dealer that can integrate the system into your helmets. Many dealers will install for free if you buy the gear from them. You should expect to pay between $600 - $1000 for the pair, new, not including shipping, tax, or possible installation.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
You can listen to the radio on the outside speakers and need nothing, but if want to use the intercom then you need a headset. CB doesn't have anything to do with either. CB is great if you ride in a group. Price depends on kind of helmet you want and quality of headset. Open face helmet of full face or flip up. Headset run from $79.00 to over $200.00. Check around because prices vary a lot. Check for sale board also, sometimes you can get a good deal on a slightly used helmet with headset.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Sierra Electronics will sell you the helmets and do a nice install job with the J&M headsets and mics.

I got my Shoei RJ Platinum from them. And the helmet price was very competitive.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

J&M will sell complete systems from a variety of helemt manufacturers with the J&M stuff installed. But they don't seem to sell the Shoei helmets, which is why I went to Sierra.

I like the J&M headsets, but lots of people prefer the Edsets.

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
got mine here, and tehy were an absolute peice of cake to fit.
good instructions with them too

good quality and sound better than the others i heard by certain manufacturers.

less than half the cost too :thumbup:

http://www.starcom1.com/goldwingheadset.htm

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
No but it comes in handy when caught in tight traffic. Go to channel 19 and find the best route from the truckers, you also get to interact with other wingers when traveling together.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have been dawdling about installing my CB. Do the Wingers hang out on a specific channel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts