GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank all of you and yours for your prayers. PRAYER DOES HELP as, the doctor tells me the bacterium is dead & gone! Praise God!

Got a brand new titanium knee and no fusion was done (which would have meant a stiff ‘peg-leg’ for life… thanks be to God!). Did have one other complication, however… the doc tells me when he opened me up and removed the temporary knee, he started removing the antibiotic ‘beads’ that he had installed last May and one had slipped down my tibia bone to about halfway to the ankle and could not retrieve it so he made a small ½” incision to retrieve it… when he went in this incision to retrieve the bead, he noticed that the bacteria had attacked and eaten a hole in the tibia bone (this explains a lot of the pain & swelling) so he immediately opened this 2nd incision up to about 4” and cleaned the hole up, inserted a piece of cadaver bone, inserted a 9” rod and sewed that one up. So, now I have two incisions… one about 12-13” and the 4”. Sore? You betcha!

The problem is that my lower leg is extremely weak and he advised that my leg could break with even a slight twisting motion at the spot where the bacteria had attacked the bone… very, very fragile but will get stronger as the cadaver bone fuses. I have a brace on my leg, only allowed to put a max of 50% of my weight on the leg for 6 weeks (bound to a walker for these 6 weeks), no auto driving for 6 weeks and no motorcycle riding for 3 months. He advised that if I did break it… the leg would have to be amputated with NO other options… am I following his orders? You betcha, to the letter!!!

Still having a lot of pain, bound a lot to the bed, still, except for an occasional foray on the walker to the ‘facilities’, kitchen and a wander around the house and man… one can only watch so many soap operas! I am getting cabin fever so bad that I am going nuts and it only has been little over a week since the surgery.

Should start some limited physical therapy in about 2 weeks…

Again, thanks to all for the thoughts and prayers! I did "saddle" up the walker and went out into the garage to take a look at the worlds fastest Goldwing (white, of course) and got riders remorse... loking forward to the first time I can take a spin... probably in January (Yep, it gets cold here in Atlanta but so what!) and when I do, maybe I can talk some of you non-fairweather, non-warm weather, locals to make that spin with me.

Paul (aka: BugEyedTurkey)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, guys, some of you know about all the surgeries I have had on my leg this past 2.5 years... supposed to have another this past Friday (29th of Sept.).

I DID NOT have my surgery this past Friday the 29th. Seeing as how I am the king of hard luck kings, here is what happened… gospel truth:

Got there at 5:30 am as was instructed, at 6:00 am they prepped me as they normally do for major surgery. Rolled me into the operating room at approximately 7:00 to 7:30 (by this time I have been given the “I don’t care or give a flip” injection). At approximately 8:00 am, the surgeon came into the operating room & said: “Paul, you ready?” I responded, “Yep, lock & load, doc & God Bless you & may God be guiding your hand!” He thanked me profusely & he himself said a short prayer. The anesthesiologist had me set up on the operating table, arch my back, gave a local to the spinal area where the 66 foot long spinal needle goes in (well, darn it, it looked that long) & the only other thing I can remember was him saying: “Paul, you will feel a little heaviness in your legs & Dr. Kress has asked I give you the deepest version of the spinal that is given of 3 that is used & afterwards, I will lay you back on the table & check to make sure your legs are 100% numb”, In just a couple minutes, they were & he said: “Good Night!” & from this point all I can tell you is what I was told.

I came to & an operating room nurse was in my face & said: “Mr. McInnish, I have some bad news!”… Of course, in my drugged & hazy state, I said “What?” She said no surgery was done and the doctor will tell you. Shortly he came into recovery & said (I quote): “Paul, the idiotic blank blank Anesthesiologist started an IV that I had written specific orders to NOT give because it would taint the culture samples & give us false readings & you have been through enough! However, the amount that was administered was very small & my system would be clear by next Wednesday so you are to be back down here next Friday & well go at it again & I am so sorry for you having to go through this without any surgery.” It took up until 7:30 PM for the anesthesia & spinal to wear off enough that I was safe for my wife to take me home. He said he had the scalpel in his hand & had picked my leg up & was looking at it to determine where to start the incision & just happened to look up at the IV tree & seen the UNAUTHORIZED antibiotic IV bag. One of the surgical nurses came into my room & told me he was absolutely livid, told the Anesthesiologist to get out of my sight & never come into my operating room ever again! My wife & family told me when he came out to tell them what happened, he was so mad that the blood vessels in his neck & forehead looked like they were ready to burst!

Thank God it was not a dangerous drug or poison; every senior level person at the hospital came into my room & apologized about 50 times; NO, I did not sign a release (they made one effort to get me to sign one) & I made them give me a copy of the written doctor orders for the OR and sure enough – exactly as the Doc said. I also told them if I or my insurance company got a bill for Friday for $.01, my attorney would come into play, very quickly! The only person that tried to “white wash” it was the chief Anesthesiologist & tried to lay it off on the surgeon. I told the doc and whoa… he went ballistic, again!

Saturday, I was so ‘wasted’ I just did not feel like calling or sending an e-mail to anyone PLUS, the wife had to be admitted to the hospital for possible heart problems, Saturday morning! She seems to be doing OK & they are probably going to keep her until Monday for observation & they seem to think the stress of Friday, all my leg problems & her having back surgery twice in 10 months just simply caught up to her.

SHE IS NOT TO HAVE ANY PHONE CALLS OR VISITORS AS THEY WANT HER TO HAVE ABSOLUTE REST!

My doctor sent me home for bed rest this entire next week to help get me ready for a more successful surgery & here is what he is going to do: Remove my temporary knee (that was put in this past May when he had to remove the titanium knee) & insert a long rod IN THE BONE from mid thigh to mid shin & put a glob of epoxy in place of my knee which will make me a straight peg leg for a month, go back in & remove the rod (& ‘the glob’) & install an new titanium knee in about one month. Can you believe 5 major surgeries to the leg in just less than 3 years???

So, the saga of Paul McInnish (aka BugEyedTurkey) & his knee continues! Keep me in your prayers! Reckon the GW will be parked for a few months!!! (darn it!!!)

All the best!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Turkey,

Glad all turned out (almost) for the best. We will keep you in our prayer for the up coming Friday's surgery.

All the best.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
BET,

Seems you are none the worse for your trials. Good on Ya.

Prayers for both you and the Mrs. For a successful journey and end to all this medical stuff.

Bulldog

·
Registered
552 Posts
Man O' Man... you really need to submit that to Wing World magazine. I'm sure the readers would appreciate what you went through. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
On the bright side, you have a surgeon who is paying close attention to your enviroment. Hope all turns out well and I hope to be back on a bike in time for the next Bug-Eyed Turkey Run.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Holly crap, Paul.
You have to remember though that I told you to delay the surgery and attend Wingstock... :wink:
Glad you're not damaged any more than usual; hug your sweetie for me. She'll be fine once you're done being cut open.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hello Brotherm,
I know what you are going through. I had an TKR back in 97. After the installing the knee joint,everything went fine for about 9 months,then it starting hurting. I told them that I was having pain in knee,but kept telling me it was in my head as the mind has to overide the knee pain.
After a few months of pain ,they statred to look for the problems,but no answers.
On a sunday nite after eating greek dinner with wifey l,I was not able to get to car. The next day I went to the doctor. He said lets take a sample out of scar,and what happens,puss comes out .
that when he said,go striaght to hospital and the next day ,they removed the joint.
I went almost 9 months without a knee,joint cemented together.straight legged , out of space (from drugs,,overdosed by doctor one time with 5 different pain drugs at one time) ******* living in the nursing home,hospital,wheel chair and hospital bed in family room
I just hope you do not go thu the pain thats involved without joint. nerves and swelling causing hell from the word go.
it all came down to the i had inside bone inferction that the testing did not pickup.
when they replaced the joint ,the damm doctor made several mistakes,covering it up for 7 years,have to learn to live wth it !!!
before i had the right leg TKR ,I went to duke in nc and they told and showed me there was 5 mistakes that was made in the left TKR operation.
!
keep your head up for the better half wifey!!
mine was an angel as no other woman would have stayed with me during that hard time in life.
I hope you will turn out for the best,brother as you know where to turn for help in the EAST
edmund

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Bill and I were just talking about you. Prayer will continue to be offered and we look forward to seeing you out and about when this is done. I still have another 6 to 7 weeks in bed/walker/wheelchair and know what you're feeling...except I imagine your pain is worse than mine. Keep the faith.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Paul:
Good to hear you are doing fine, and nothing untoward happened despite their best efforts..HA! I am the Deputy Command Surgeon at US Central Command, and my wife is a medical malpractice attorney. I could tell you some stories about errors and cover-ups that will make you avoid hospitals like the plague!! I only say this to you Paul because it seems your surgeon is conscientious and competent...one of the good ones! Good luck!! :lol:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Paul,

I just found this as I had no idea all of this was going on.

You and your wife are in my prayers.

Keep healing..........................

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm glad you're feeling better, if a little sore. Look on the bright side, you can play unofficial board moderator here while you're convalescing. lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glad to hear things are going in the right direction! Yikes what a tale - feel for ya! Hope things continue to improve for you. You are in our prayers!

I am right down 78 from you in Loganville and sympathize with you. Have had 2 scope type surgeries on my rt knee (one in 1988 to remove meniscus and the last one on June 15th) for chronic arthritis. Have had it drained about 8 or 9 times since April/May and recently tried these new super duper Synvisc shots which are supposed to help postpone knee replacement a few weeks ago. Doc says they take 4-6 weeks to see if they help & we are crossing our fingers. If they don't work we will have done everything possible to fix it and it will be time to replace the knee with artificial one.

Hopefully they will help so I can get about life, and go riding the wing with my wife. She is going nuts seeing it collect dust in the garage, & wants to ride as much as I do.

:) I hope my Doc is as good as your Doc :wink: :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts