GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
":evil:Going To The Dark Side".
Being a short time winger I am ready to replace the rear tire of my 05. I had been reading the many posts here and have decided to "Go to the Dark Side". Actually a couple of my friends have been running CT's for awhile with no problems.
Today I ordered a Perilli Eufori 195/55/R16 87H.
Any hints anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
I can't wait to slap that Bad Boy on the back and give him a spin.

Thanks to all the great Threads here. :cool:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Stop somewhere and buy a roll of duct tape. You will need it after about 100 miles on your new tire. I used mine to pull my smile back into my face.

I am sure you will enjoy the new tire and new feel. Much better in my opinion and I much prefer the CT.

Hints........hum.......when you take the tire to have it mounted, make sure they have a machine that does not clamp the inside of the rim, or it will leave little teeth marks, try to fine one for sport car tires, etc, one that holds the rim and not clamp the tire on the inside of the rim. Some bike shops will mount them, just depends.

Kit

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's a hint for ya, PUT IT ON AND FORGETABOUTIT!!!!!!!! tire pressure around 30 or so, won't take ya long to adjust, just a little more counter-steer in corners, I know I'm not going back to m/c tire.
Welcome, and be sure to get ur number from murgie. :yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Frmnted, are you going to mount the tire yourself or farm it out? The Eufori RF is a handful and it goes a little easier if you have some help. The NoMar XtraHand was very helpfull keeping the bead pushed down into the center of the rim. I only have three, needed one more, but used a C-clamp on the tire instead.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
":evil:Going To The Dark Side".
Being a short time winger I am ready to replace the rear tire of my 05. I had been reading the many posts here and have decided to "Go to the Dark Side". Actually a couple of my friends have been running CT's for awhile with no problems.
Today I ordered a Perilli Eufori 195/55/R16 87H.
Any hints anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
I can't wait to slap that Bad Boy on the back and give him a spin.

Thanks to all the great Threads here. :cool:

"Welcome to the Darkside"

Here is a tip I tell Rookies about getting a CT in the hole!

Put the bike on the center stand,
Remove the center fenders outside four corner Allen head bolts.
Remove the bolt behind the License plate.
Remove the Round tire.
I let the air out of the car tire,It makes getting it past the wheel studs so much easier.
I then held the rear cross bar (where the electrical plugs are) and used my knee to pop/push the wheel past the wheel studs,Holding that bar stops the bike from rolling off the center stand.(you really don't want that to happen)
Then turned the wheel a bit,(as if the tire was making a right turn) and popped/pushed it past the inner fender,and then mounted it on the studs,Filled it with air,and put the center fender back on..

But it's not a bad idea to tie the center stand from letting the bike roll forward on you!!.

Tying back the inner fender.

It has to do with the way Honda stuffed the wiring behind the battery box,just above the Reverse resistor (Finned aluminum box w/red wires coming out of it) box as you look at the inner fender with the wheel removed..

Seems that some were neatly packed,thus not needing the fender tied back,and the ones that were jammed in there,need the inner fender tied back...It isn't much either..

Tied back it gives you an extra 1/8-3/16 of an inch,to what is already there.which will keep the fender from rubbing on the sidewall..
The sidewall of the tire doesn't flex in this area,so the extra width you are creating is piece of mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great posts. I do plan to mount it myself, not that I'm an expert but I have hand mounted many tires in the past both car and motorcycle and a couple truck tires. I have used the c-clamp method before so I will give it a try. I'll post the results here once I get it installed. Can't wait to get my number and decal.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Be careful bringing the front end down when you take off. The Eufori is one of the stickiest tires available. You will be able to power out of corners and off the line like you never knew. Solo wheelies will definately be a possibility.

The downside is, you will wear it out a little faster. Trialsman burned one up in something like 10,000 miles. I've gone over 30K on my UltraGrips. Then again, he spends more time on dry twisties; I've had to contend with snow. :twisted:

You'll get a kick out of it!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hello all,
I have my Kuhmo and e-bay spare rim ready, will be doing the install in the next week or two. I have a Bushtec hitch, will that make it any harder getting the mounted tire up??
Thanks,
Rich K ( WingSki )

·
Registered
775 Posts
While I have let the air out of the CT to help slide it in, last week after I took my Goodyear Eagle off of my silver powdercoated rim and remounted it on the new Gloss Black powdercoated rim, This time I just reached up and smeared a little tire lube on the inner fenders where the tire would touch, and that baby almost jumped into place.:yes1:

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
Frmnted,
:congrats: ! Welcome to the enlightened "Darkside" :biggrin: ! Be prepared, it only gets better from here on out :yes1: !

G

·
Be careful bringing the front end down when you take off. The Eufori is one of the stickiest tires available. You will be able to power out of corners and off the line like you never knew. Solo wheelies will definately be a possibility.

The downside is, you will wear it out a little faster. Trialsman burned one up in something like 10,000 miles. I've gone over 30K on my UltraGrips. Then again, he spends more time on dry twisties; I've had to contend with snow. :twisted:

You'll get a kick out of it!
Why are people always trying to get me in trouble? :lol:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hello all,
I have my Kuhmo and e-bay spare rim ready, will be doing the install in the next week or two. I have a Bushtec hitch, will that make it any harder getting the mounted tire up??
Thanks,
Rich K ( WingSki )
...some folks lay the bike on the right side, suspension to 25 and some towels or pads (or grass) under the crashbars and get at it that way, eliminating the need to disassemble the rear stuff/hitch.

Bartman showed me how to do it, and last weekend Wassup and I completed this maneuver in his garage, no problems. 2 people work better than one but one can do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts