GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 72 hrs have not been fun here. We lost power on Friday night about 2 a.m. and just got it back. Some whole counties are without power, and for folks in the country that means water too. Bad thing is that it's going to be in single-digits with minus windchill for a couple days.

We've had a pretty mild few weeks, but this is making up for it

For those of you in the path of this thing, be careful.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good luck to all of you! Been there, done that, and it isn't fun!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yaaay we have sunlight this morning. :yes:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Fill your bath tub(s) with water. At least you will have that if your pipes freeze or electricity goes out.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Rastoff said:
Fill your bath tub(s) with water. At least you will have that if your pipes freeze or electricity goes out.
Rastoff, Good idea but if it gets cold enough to freeze the pipes and the electricity goes off what do you think will happen to the water in the tub? Ice fishing might fit this bill if you have any goldfish :wink: :wink:

A house that gets cold, stays cold. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I sure am thankful for the wood stove and a supply of wood. The bath tub is full of water in case we loss power. At least I can keep us warm and flush the pot.

This area is lucky however. We only have 1-2 inches of ice here but some parts of the state East of us is at a stand still with inches of ice breaking up trees and power lines.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
One word for you, Generator!!! We bought a good Honda one years ago and have had to use it for up to a week at a time when the power goes out. Just plugs into out main service and will power everything except the hot tub. I wouldn't own a house with out having a generator. Good Luck to you and your neighbors.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
You're right Ross, but usually the inside of a house is warmer than the outside. So far I've been able to keep my house above freezing even when we lost electricity.

We are having the coldest winter in memory here. Usually it only gets into the 20s for a couple of weeks. It's been at least that cold every night since early December this year.

My main H2O inlet froze last night. Fortunately it didn't break. I've got a heating pad wrapped around it now. I'll never understand why they bring that out of the ground before it is under the house. If they just ran it under the house it would never freeze.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Rastoff said:
You're right Ross, but usually the inside of a house is warmer than the outside. So far I've been able to keep my house above freezing even when we lost electricity.

We are having the coldest winter in memory here. Usually it only gets into the 20s for a couple of weeks. It's been at least that cold every night since early December this year.

My main H2O inlet froze last night. Fortunately it didn't break. I've got a heating pad wrapped around it now. I'll never understand why they bring that out of the ground before it is under the house. If they just ran it under the house it would never freeze.
Would you believe Rastoff I even saw Snow Flakes in San Diego! I really need those heated grips!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
We've been out of power since before dawn last Staurday and finally moved to my mother's today to wait it out. They say it'll all be back by Wednesday night, but it's getting down to the teens tonight and lower tomorrow night.

Our neighborhood looks llike a tornado hit it with so many trees and limbs down. But unfortunaltely, not a single walnut tree in my yard suffered any damage. I hate walnut trees.[/code]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts