GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of selling my 1999 Honda Valykrie and purchase a new 2004 touring bike. For investment and confort purposes, which is a better bike, the 04 GOLDWING (ABS) or 04 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide? Need help!

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
If your worried about a investment, put your money in a bank, not a motorcycle!

The Wing will out handle and outperform all the HD products, except the Rod. If resale stays like it has for the last 20 years on the HD products, the HD will give you a greater return. That is a loaded answer though because it will cost you more per mile to ride the HD than it will the Wing. A high mileage HD is harder to resell than a Wing with high miles.

Again, if your worried about losing money, don't buy either one! Neither one will make you a dime. They are both expensive entertainment! Do you want one to ride or look at? If you want to look at one the HD will give you a greater percentage of return on your dollar.

A new Wing can be bought in the area of $15k. A new Ultra will cost you in the area of $22k!

It's all personal choice! Good Luck.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
HD or GL

HD has a much bigger group to ride with, better clothes, more lawyers and is a much better chick magnet than the GL. You will be accepted in more places wear all that expensive leather, hang out with guys who put in gruling 100 mile days, look cool and the resale will be better.
Now if you want a bike to ride you can hardly go wrong with a GL1800. It has the ride, power, comfort and support that no other bike has. I get snickers about riding a Goldwing from the HD crowd and I always smile and wave as I blow by them in the curves. There have been some faults with the GL but it is the best overall bike I have ever had. Great for long trips and good for bending corners on weekends. If you like to grind the highway both will do just fine but if you like to ride, the GL is the only choice, plus you can put all kinds of lights on it, spend all day going 50, visit all the DQ's ever built, dress like you are going to a square dance and fit right in.

·
Registered
816 Posts
HD vs Wing

I've had many HD riders complement the wing I have. Had one come up to me the just a few days ago.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for not riding a Harley, but she just doesn't understand that I'm not just interested in "cool". I want to ride long distances in reliable comfort. Besides, I can have almost two wings for the price of one Glide. 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Stealth,

Seems to me you want your cake, and eat it as well. I don't think you can have your investment and comfort all in one package.

HD = Investment

GL 1800 = Comfort supreme

Bulldog

·
Registered
469 Posts
Stealth

Hey Bro, Git th Wing. After ridin 30 years & ownin 12 bikes, 5 of em Harleys. Take my word for it th 1800 Wing is absolutely th best bike on th planet , ya caint go wrong buyin th Wing. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hey Ron,

Is Tennessee on the planet? Hmmmmmmm

You have yourself a Happy Holiday season, and go ahead and spoil them Grand Kids.

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
stealth said:
I'm in the process of selling my 1999 Honda Valykrie and purchase a new 2004 touring bike. For investment and confort purposes, which is a better bike, the 04 GOLDWING (ABS) or 04 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide? Need help!
If you want something comfortable to RIDE, the 1800 is the choice (but then this IS a GL1800 riders board, so I don't know what answer you were expecting).

If you want something comfortable to sit on outside the mall, your favorite bar, or whatever, get yourself a nice piece of butt jewlery... or for that matter, keep the Valk.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

I think the wing is a very cool bike and runs like a scalded dog.... wouldn't change my choice IF I had the loot to get an ultra.

Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Stealth - the purchase of a motorcycle is such a personal decision and in the end can (and should) only be answered by you. If you're as uncertain as I think you sound then might I suggest you go for a test drive on both bikes and get a feel for each (they do allow test drives for Harley's right, and it really doesn't require a $5,000. deposit like I once heard, right??).

Life is short. Forget the investment aspect and take that totally out of the equation. Buy the bike to ride and enjoy, and in the end whatever one you get you'll be happier for it. Personally I think there is only one answer to your question, but then the Ultra Classic was never one to be on my list of choices.

Go ride both and see how you feel. If you get the Wing, I'm confident you'll love it, but do it because that's what you want, not us.

Good Luck,

DaleC

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bulldog

Tennessee is wher i was born & raised, so it's purty much th center of th planet fer me. I hope you got th card we send, i got yaul's & thanks. All th best to you Bro!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Better listen to Skid. If you want to become a Chick Magnet, stick with the Hog. Also, you will never reach the coveted position of "Big Daddy" riding any kind of a Honda Product. If you want to go on long rides and are too old to be concerned about being a Chick Magnet, like me, go with a dependable Wing. Both sets of Bikers dress funny. If you want to look normal, get a BMW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If,you are going to ride around in your neighborhood,bar hop, church festival's,etc go for the H.D. If you are into long disatant,reliable, comfortable, power to burn,riding the Goldwing is the no brainer choice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank U all for your courtesy comments. I have decided to purchase a 2004 Lexus 330, instead of a HD.. Furthermore, I will also purchase a WHITE WING in MAR 04... Have a blessed and safe Holiday....

Steath.............................

·
Registered
596 Posts
Copied from the ZRX list

Hopefully not to inappropriate, but it seemed on topic ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harley is ann investment????
From BlackEcho:

The economics of owning a Harley Davidson

I have heard time after time about how my Japanese motorcycle is not worth the resale value of what a Milwaukee built machine is. I concede that this is true but over the last years I have also been told to me that a Harley Davidson is an investment. I am writing this editorial to answer some of the questions I have about this rather obvious myth.

First, let us first define investment and what an investment is supposed to do for you, and how this term might apply to a motorcycle.

An investment is, to put it simply, a purchase made for the purpose of making money or financial gain in return.
So if an investment is made for financial gain then one of the basic premises is that you should buy the investment at the lowest price possible so that it can start being profitable as soon as you purchase it. Also it would make good financial sense that if you were buying for the purpose of making money at a later date or enjoying a return on your investment that maintenance and upkeep would be two areas that you would try to keep to a minimum if not avoid outright. Any extra cost that is associated with maintaining the investment means that the investment will not be so appealing.

I think these principals will be sound once I have explained them. Lets explore them:

MSRP of a Harley Davidson Superglide $13,499.00
Average selling cost of a Harley Davidson Superglide $17,000.00
Making the negative cost of buying the investment $ -3,501.00

Already we are $3501.00 behind on our investment. This isn’t looking good.
But those who believe that a Harley is an investment will say that they can turn around and sell the bike today or anytime for $17,000 dollars, thus they are not out any money and the bike is a good ‘investment.’ Now the whole point of an investment is to make money, not just break even, so the ‘investment’ theory already fails here.

Ok let’s look at the cost built into the purchase that the buyer cannot recover.

Sales tax. Lets make that simple. Figure 8% $1,360.00
DMV License fees $ 375.00
Set up and delivery charge $ 300.00
For a total amount of $ 2,035.00

Combine that to the amount of advertising the bike for a week at $45.00 and we have a sum of $2,080.00

We now can say you are negative thousand dollars if you sell it immediately. I think we have another problem, lets add the original negative investment of $3,501.00 for a new loss of $5,581.00 on your ‘investment’ which is a 41.34% loss / cost to invest in a Harley Davidson. Let me put it another way, if someone came up to you and asked you if you wanted to make an investment, and it would cost you thirty dollars but you would only get twenty dollars back in the end, if you were lucky, then I wonder how many of you would actually buy into that ‘investment.’ Probably a lot of you, I imagine. The first clue as to if something is an investment or not is if it makes a return.

Now lets look at how we intelligently buy an investment. Cash. But do you have twenty thousand dollars just laying around for this purchase?

Probably not so we will finance.

We are just getting started it seems and we are $5,581.00 dollars down on the investment and we haven’t even managed a way to pay for it yet. Nevertheless, we must have a Harley Davidson so lets go and finance this beast of a fine investment.

How does 9 percent interest sound with 10 percent down?

Purchase price $19,035.00
Minus down payment $ 1,900.00
Total amount financed $17,135.00

payments on that for 5 years at 9 percent (60 payments) would come to $21,341.67. Are you following the math yet? Is it starting to make sense? Now we have a total of $23,241.67 invested into a $13,499.00 bike. Our investment has almost cost us double, and it hasn’t even made a penny back for us yet. Some investment.

So, we sign the papers and we buy the American dream and we ride it to our first meet with the guys, Wow doesn’t that Bike your friend has look good with all that custom chrome and Billet wheels. Not to mention he has $2500 in Screaming Eagle parts so it has the POWER you thought you were buying but didn’t get. So let’s pull out a credit card and get shopping.

Billet wheels $2,500.00
Chrome Accessories $3,000.00
Screaming Eagle parts for motor and style $2,500.00
Total $8,000.00

Let’s not forget to mention credit card interest. I’ll make this simple. I will charge 14% twice representing 2 years of payments $1,120.00 and we add this to the above total for a new total of $9,120.00

Add in bike total and we have $30,467.67. That’s quite a bit of money for a bike that supposedly has a MSRP of $13,499.00. Or we can say we have invested 226% of its retail price just to get into it.

Now we have paid the new DMV Fees with the credit card and its still at $8,000.00
So we are refinancing the home, we include this amount in the house to get rid of the high interest. We do not include the bike, it only has 3 more years of payments and we need the extra money of the refinance to pay off other credit cards and such.

So we take the $8,000.00 at 6 percent for 20 years and get a total of $13,754.40. Add this to our total before and we get $44,222.07.

I am tiring of beating this horse so lets just say we use another $3,000.00 dollars in maintenance gas and tires and arrive 5 years later at $47,222.07, which is over three times the MSRP of the bike to begin with.

Now we go to sell our ‘investment.’

I get out this weeks cycle trader an notice that 5 year old Superglides are going for $14,000.00, which is about what the MSRP was on the bike brand new.

I subtract this from what I have in the bike and get $33,222.07. I am over thirty grand in the hole on this ‘investment’ and there is no way in hell anyone is going to pay me what I have in the bike. I am never taking financial advise from anyone who owns a Harley. I just lost 33 thousand dollars on a bike and it wasn’t even fun in the corners.

Are your eyes open yet? They should be.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Good post Mr. Ed! I went from a '95 SE to a '99 Valk Interstate, then to an '02 FLHTCI. Even after spending $2,000 on motor work for the Harley it still didn't have power I was use to with a Honda 6 cylinder. I sold the HD for $16,995 (msrp for an '04 FLHTC) and bought an '04 GL1800. At 50 I no longer feel the need to look "cool".

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
COOL?

"Cool" can't be bought, you either are or you're not! 8)
a geek on a harley is just a geek on a harley,
me on a 'WING? now that's waaaaaaay 8) 8) 8)
:D
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO Y'ALL, :lol: :lol:
the hobo 8)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I spent two weeks this summer on the road to and from Sturgis with an Ultra. Everywhere we stopped, my bike got more attention, but that was probably because it was more unique.

At the four corners monument, I was waiting in line to take a picture and watched people stop by and look at our bikes - nobody even glanced at the HD, they all liked the wing...

We swapped for a day and he couldn't believe the handling and power I had compared to his. He really enjoyed having all that torque and the ability to pass @ 70 without having to downshift. I was used to my power band and found myself "uncomfortably close" at the end of a few passes before I got used to the whole downshifting issue. We both felt the riding position on his was better.

If it wasn't for the "image thing", he'd probably upgrade. He also can't believe the difference in "running costs", service issues, etc. His bike spends a lot of time at the dealership for tune-ups, etc. and mine just keeps running and running...

My wife would agree with Hobo's "cool" statement - her belief that I wouldn't look right on the HD is probably why I looked at the wing...

Good luck on your choice, as the others stated I wouldn't consider either purchase an investment, but one of the best ones I've made :D

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
stealth said:
Thank U all for your courtesy comments. I have decided to purchase a 2004 Lexus 330, instead of a HD.. Furthermore, I will also purchase a WHITE WING in MAR 04... Have a blessed and safe Holiday....

Steath.............................
Sounds like a great plan!! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts