GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing alot of GPS looking and study lately but the whole idea of preloading a specific route evades me. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction regarding preloading of defined routes? These may not be the fastest or shortest but my favorite round about paths. I'll probably wait on the Zumo but would feel better if I could iron out these simple questions. Garmin is my preferred device.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
ipete, there is nothing magical or mystical about creating routes on your computer and then loading them on your GPS.

Garmin has a program called Mapsource that allows you to use the Garmin maps (City Navigator now up to ver. 8 ) to create, modify, share with your friends and save routes. So creating your own routes to use in your GPS is just a matter of point and click. Mapsource is what I would call user friendly and can be learned in a minimal amount of time.

So how is it done? First select the Route tool in Mapsource and click on your starting point in the City Navigator map display. Next click on your destination. Now depending on whether you selected fastest or shortest route Mapsourse will draw the route on the map. You can now modify this route by clicking on the route with the pointer or inserting vias. Now you can d/l this route to your GPS unit or save it for later use. While this may be an over simplification of the route creation process it is not difficult. For example a day trip from you home to wherever and back can be created, modified, saved to your computer and d/l to your GPS in less than 15 min.

According to Garmin the Zumo comes with City Navigator built in and the ability to create routes on your computer with Mapsource and d/l these custom routes to the Zumo.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
iPete said:
...Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction regarding preloading of defined routes?...
As stated above, the mapping program (MapSource) that comes with most Garmin units is what you would be using.

Maybe someone locally has MapSource loaded on their computer and you could take a look at it. A few minutes with a knowledgeable user will get you comfortable enough to start your own routes.

If you don't find someone near you, let me know when you get your unit and I'll come down to show you how it's done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the explanations! I will try to find someone with MapSource so I can play around with it, sounds fairly simple. I see alot of Streetpilot 2720 owners in the motorcycle arena however I'm impressed with the Nuvi 350 due to size, battery support and bonus features. Any words of wisdom from the user community? I know it's not waterproof but thinking I could live with that, considering it's compact design. Thanks again for the feedback on MapSource!
Pete

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I think MapSource only works with the Garmin...maybe I'm wrong

·
Registered
788 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
You are correct - it only works with Garmin products.

·
Registered
424 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
a friend of mine has a garmin and I have a magellan roadmate. The software for both is identical except for the file extensions each uses. The way the software interfaces with the GPS is different but I believe that is because of the memory constraints of the magellan. (takes longer to load maps) The software is called by a different name but it's written by the same company and they work identical to each other. Anyway, thats my observation.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Neil-In-Seattle said:
... You are correct - it only works with Garmin products.
As far as downloading directly to a Garmin GPS, this is correct, but routes created with MapSource can be loaded into many different brands of GPS units if they are converted to the appropriate format.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are there any Nuvi users out there willing to weigh in on the prerouting capability of MapSource. I'm assuming, as Tex explained earlier, this is a compatible feature from device to device. Nuvi is a Garmin if there's any confusion regarding the name. I would just like to hear from someone who uses the Nuvi and loads predetermined routes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Jon said:
Neil-In-Seattle said:
... You are correct - it only works with Garmin products.
As far as downloading directly to a Garmin GPS, this is correct, but routes created with MapSource can be loaded into many different brands of GPS units if they are converted to the appropriate format.
Darn! I should have added that caveat to my post. :wink:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
iPete said:
Are there any Nuvi users out there willing to weigh in on the prerouting capability of MapSource. I'm assuming, as Tex explained earlier, this is a compatible feature from device to device. Nuvi is a Garmin if there's any confusion regarding the name. I would just like to hear from someone who uses the Nuvi and loads predetermined routes.
The Nuvi does not support downloading routes to the GPS, but you can download waypoint files. Unfortunately, you can only create a simple route (from here to there) with only one intermediate waypoint.

This is definitely not a unit to consider if pre-routing is a requirement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent feedback! I appreciate the answer....I've downloaded the manuals and read most of them but your pointed response is hard to determine from reading through this stuff without being able to tinker (hands on). Thanks, this is timely and you’ve saved me a huge disappointment!

·
Registered
594 Posts
iPete,

The Garmin MapSource program is a FREE download at the following URL:

http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

The program can be used as a stand alone mapping tool whether you actually have a Garmin GPS or not. If all you want to do is "tinker" with the program to familiarize yourself with its operation you can just download and install MapSource and play away.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hydor said:
iPete,

The Garmin MapSource program is a FREE download at the following URL:

http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

The program can be used as a stand alone mapping tool whether you actually have a Garmin GPS or not. If all you want to do is "tinker" with the program to familiarize yourself with its operation you can just download and install MapSource and play away.
From the above mentioned URL:
WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.
The upgrade is free, not the program. Therefore, you cannot just install it and "tinker".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good catch on the warning, I don't have a Mapsource product.
I've been kicking myself for the last three weeks. CompUSA had a Streetpilot 2720 on sale for $499 with a $100 rebate. By the time I saw it they were completely out. Maybe it was a mistake by the retailer and they were all pulled off the shelf? Anyway, this has been good information thanks to all for the great input! Patience is a virtue and I'm trying to cultivate.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
iPete said:
Good catch on the warning, I don't have a Mapsource product.
I've been kicking myself for the last three weeks. CompUSA had a Streetpilot 2720 on sale for $499 with a $100 rebate. By the time I saw it they were completely out. Maybe it was a mistake by the retailer and they were all pulled off the shelf? Anyway, this has been good information thanks to all for the great input! Patience is a virtue and I'm trying to cultivate.
They pulled it because it was mispriced...was suppose to be $699 with $100 rebate...I know cause I called... :(
Ended up buying mine from eBay...a little over $500... :D

G

·
ipete,

We have a garmin quest II and mapsource on both our laptops. We're headed to Aiken, SC (in the car) for the weekend. Let me know if you want to zip over and have a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for this generous offer. My weekend is full and I won't be able to break away. Enjoy your weekend!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts