GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three years ago I started riding again and I have done a lot of riding. First on a couple of bikes and more recently for the last 13 months on a GL 1800 trike. Have ridden about 30,000 in the past three years including a several month hiatus because of a collision with a deer.

This is one of those topics that will be totally ignored unless it is pertinent to the reader. On June 15 I had hemorriod surgery and for the last 11 days have at times had the worst pain that I have ever suffered. I have had broken arms, legs, many ankle sprains and more shoulder dislocations than I can count.

All childs play to the pain of recovering from this surgery. Nasty. :eek:4:

Of course, I am not going to give up riding and the many friendships I have made while riding, including this website, but would not consider undergoing another one of thses operations either. Guess I will have to have a detailed talk with my surgeon about what to avoid when riding and how to keep from aggravating my bottom again.

I will report here what he tells me to do.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Stay away from nuts of any type! Having gone through this myself I do understand your pain. A blow torch or branding iron touching my butt come to mind!:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Well, a lot of us are getting up in age and may have to experience some of what you are going through. It will be interesting to see what recommendations come out of this. However, be prepared to be the butt of many a joke, even though I'm sure things will work out in the end. Butt don't take this lying down, sit up for your right to ride. :joke: (okay, enough of my bad puns, time for someone else to have a go at you)

Take care of yourself my friend.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have had one of those hemaruuds since I built the house in 1976. Probably from heavy lifting.

Anyway I was haveing a pre-exam for my 2nd colonoscopy last summer and I told the proctologist that I want to get rid of my hemroid. So he looks at it, takes hold of it with a surgical tweezer like instrument, stretches it as far as practical and puts a tiny rubber band on it. 2 weeks later it was gone and I have not been bothered since. Pain free from the get go.

Using a knife nowadays for hemroids is barbaric when several other techniques are available. Banding and cauterizing laser to name 2.

Just sayin

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had one of those hemaruuds since I built the house in 1976. Probably from heavy lifting.

Anyway I was haveing a pre-exam for my 2nd colonoscopy last summer and I told the proctologist that I want to get rid of my hemroid. So he looks at it, takes hold of it with a surgical tweezer like instrument, stretches it as far as practical and puts a tiny rubber band on it. 2 weeks later it was gone and I have not been bothered since. Pain free from the get go.

Using a knife nowadays for hemroids is barbaric when several other techniques are available. Banding and cauterizing laser to name 2.

Just sayin

:thumbup:

My surgeon did the rubber band a few weeks ago. I thought this is too easy. Then I had a significant flare up. He took a peek and said the banding was just putting a band-aid on the problem.

There are different catagories like any other affliction. I just had a badder kind.

I thought there was a laser that does the same thing with much less pain, but not at that hospital. Should have goine to a different doctor.

Will if they ever return.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
How well I remember...

Right after they packed me I had to have a bowel movement and at that instant I pushed the call button in the rest room and said, "Get down here, I'm bleeding to death!" Turns out that was "normal." My advice is to watch what you eat of course. You may want to stay on tomato soup or something, milk shakes, etc. and STAY OFF THE BIKE to avoid pressure on your anus. Once you do heal you should be good to go riding again. Good luck friend.

:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the well wishes. Today was the day I had to see the nurse practitioner. A nice woman in her late 40's.

We discussed the pain and she mentioned that all of this surgeon's patients have the extreme urge to kill him. I agreed and we talked a bit more. Finally, she said, "Let's have a peek." I thought nothing about dropping them and leaning over a table as she is a professional. She proclaimed me OK and told me to get dressed.

After I had pulled them up and was fully dressed. She told me I had taken her senior photographs 30 years earlier. :nojoke: She said she remembered me and that my daughter was in her graduating class.

Oh, the ills of living in a small town.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Thanks all for the well wishes. Today was the day I had to see the nurse practitioner. A nice woman in her late 40's. She told me I had taken her senior photographs 30 years earlier. :nojoke: She said she remembered me and that my daughter was in her graduating class.

Now that's funny - gave me a chuckle for sure. :thumbup:

And dang you're OLD !! :joke:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Thanks all for the well wishes. Today was the day I had to see the nurse practitioner. A nice woman in her late 40's.

We discussed the pain and she mentioned that all of this surgeon's patients have the extreme urge to kill him. I agreed and we talked a bit more. Finally, she said, "Let's have a peek." I thought nothing about dropping them and leaning over a table as she is a professional. She proclaimed me OK and told me to get dressed.

After I had pulled them up and was fully dressed. She told me I had taken her senior photographs 30 years earlier. :nojoke: She said she remembered me and that my daughter was in her graduating class.

Larry, that is too funny if it did not bring back memories. I certainly did not have the pain you suffer. Oh, I did not do any line dancing for a few days, but did wait three weeks before getting on my Honda Nighthawk 750. IF your MD did a good job, there should not be a "second" time....hang in, my friend. It is hell getting old. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today a friend met me in my town and we rode together some 25 miles each way to have some work done on my trike (Belly pan replacement)

I was going to buy him some ice cream for riding all that way (40 miles to my town and then both ways with me) He saw I was very uncomfortable riding and pulled over before I had a chance to ask him for a treat and told me to go home and rest. He did not have to say that twice.

I am going to stay off the bike until July 16 when our club is riding to the Hawaiian Shirt Festival in Carlos, TX.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Depending upon the "grade" of the hemmoroid treatment may vary...can be a simple a Prpeartion-H and watching your diet to the surgury.

As I recall there are three areas of the anus that can develop hemmroids....I had them in all three and they were all Grade 4...surgury was the only option.
To declare this barbaric is to me misinformed.

I can empathize with you....it is indeed the worst pain I have ever experienced...and it takes a good long time to heal.

However, given my symptoms prior I would do it again.

I now have no trouble riding the motorcycle....actually no pain whatsoever.Take your time to heal and all will be well.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
guess Jonny Cash had them too...ring of Fire.....my rear end Doctor is a Dam good looking lady, make you feel funny to drop them pants, more like pay back from her teen years...:eek:4:.....oh well, she said to keep them....:bow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts