GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drilled some holes in the rear of my mufflers experimenting for sound. Would like to undo what I've done now. Want to go stealth again.

Aside from have them welded are there other options? I have about 3/8 holes now but can always go larger for a suitable plug device.

Am I correct in thinking they are stainless steel should I get them welded?

BTW- the bike sounds really strange with the mufflers off. Hehehe had to hear it and didn't run more than a few seconds that way.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
How about a stubby sheet metal screw? You could coat it with muffler sealant.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you want to go stealth, just paint the bike black & smoke, like Hedo. Then, even if it's loud, no one will SEE you!!

This idea makes so much more sense than simply repairing the exhaust system. I'm only trying to make life easier for you!!

Oh, here's another useful tip. Did you attempt to run the drill in reverse, to notice if it will refill the holes??

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
H-man said:
If you want to go stealth, just paint the bike black & smoke, like Hedo. Then, even if it's loud, no one will SEE you!!

This idea makes so much more sense than simply repairing the exhaust system. I'm only trying to make life easier for you!!

Oh, here's another useful tip. Did you attempt to run the drill in reverse, to notice if it will refill the holes??
I lost the chips so can't reverse drill and it's too cold to paint.

·
Registered
353 Posts
stuff it with steel wool
use screws to keep it in there.
j b weld will burn if it gets to hot.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
j b weld will burn if it gets to hot.
Where are you buying your JB Weld? You need to buy the real thing. LOL....

You can repair manifolds with it, so the heat of a muffler is a piece of cake for it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Like others, I just had to drill holes in the end of the mufflers to see what it would sound like. It sounded like a car with a hole in the muffler. Imagine that!!
After running the bike for 0.003 seconds, I realized that I'd made a mistake. What I did to seal up the hole was to buy some hollow wall anchors. The kind that are spring loaded, and form a "T" when the spring has relaxed. I put a fender washer on the end of the screw, so as I tightened it up, it brought the fender washer up snug against the back of the muffler.
Then, to keep anyone from seeing what I'd done to an otherwise perfect bike, I bought turn down exhaust tips, so my handywork can't be seen.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Great White Wing said:
Red said:
Drill the hole out to 1/2". Buy yourself 1/4" pipe plugs and some JB Weld. Good as new.
That's a decent idea. Thanks Red.
This work perfectly. And JB weld will not burn out it's very tough. Red told me about it, I tryed it, it's easy to do and puts you back to stock with no problemo!!! Terry

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Similar to Red's idea is to puy metal cap locks; the little top hat shaped pieces that drive onto the ends of 3/8" or 1/2" rod to hold wagon wheels and such on. Using them backwards works too to fill holes in sheet metal. I got mine at Lowes in the specialty hardware bin and the one's I got fit snuggly into 9/16 hole. I coated them with JB Weld too, but that was likely unnecessary.

prs

·
Registered
196 Posts
I drilled holes in my muffler and didn't like it. I went to Lowes and brought a metal electrical outlet box ($1.07) and used the little circular pop-outs with some JB Weld. You might have to hold them on the muffler for a few minutes while the JB Weld sets up. Works great and is inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Goldwing_Midland_TX said:
On mine, I used some stainless steel plugs for holes that you can find at Home Depot type place. They have little fingers that snap inside the hole with the little plug cover staying on the outside of the hole. I have had them on for about a year now, and none have fallen off. Decided really quick that I didn't care for the new sound.
Didn't think they would stay in, surprised.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Caddy Rider said:
I drilled holes in my muffler and didn't like it. I went to Lowes and brought a metal electrical outlet box ($1.07) and used the little circular pop-outs with some JB Weld. You might have to hold them on the muffler for a few minutes while the JB Weld sets up. Works great and is inexpensive.
Just sticking on to the end of the muffler? Didn't think that would hold either.

All you guys are full of good ideas. Thanks. Now if I had some daylight to do something I'ld be all set. LOL

Someone said we still get daylight but I sure can't tell.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
if you don't mind the way it looks, you can clean the surface really well and use JB WELD on it.

Just start building up a small amount of JB WELD around the hole until it's closed.

After it dries real good you can use a Dremel Tool to smooth it out.

Looks like someone else already suggested JB WELD.

I'm confident that it will work if you get it clean.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had drilled out my exhaust and didn't like the sound. I installed snap in metal buttons for a 1/2" hole as has been suggested. I covered them with JB weld and have had no problem also. JB Weld can handle some pretty high heat. I think it's amazing stuff. I keep some on my bikes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts