GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any others out there experience very uneven break pad wear. My 05 with 21,000 miles has pretty sever wear on the front left pad set, both pads, but the front right looks to be barely worn. I would estimate the left side about 75% gone, the right side about 20% gone, the rear about 50% gone. I know the front and rears breaks are linked but I find that I generally use the hand lever more than the foot pedal. All rotors looks to be in very good condition. Looks like normal wear.

Used the weight on the pedal trick and tied the hand lever back last night. Both now feel much firmer. I have a new set of OEM pads ordered and will replace all that the same time.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your wear pattern is fairly typical.

Replace all the front pads and be on your merry way.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would just swap the left and right side pads and get maximum wear out of the things. My '02 has a wear pattern similar to yours and I assume it has something to do with the linked braking system and how it applies the brakes. I also use the front brake lever 99% of the time. I think that if my rear brake pedal fell off while I was riding it would take me several stops before I even noticed it was missing.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I think you guys might be using your rear brake more than you think. The left pad goes down faster because of the rear brake. The front lever only does one cyclinder (or whatever it's called) on the left, and two on the right. If your using the front brake mostly then your right pad will wear down faster.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
FUSE said:
I think you guys might be using your rear brake more than you think. The left pad goes down faster because of the rear brake. The front lever only does one cyclinder (or whatever it's called) on the left, and two on the right. If your using the front brake mostly then your right pad will wear down faster.

That is how it would be in theory but, real life tells a different story. That is why they have test pilots for airplanes. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered a complete set of pads today. I will hold on to any that have more than about 2/3 remaining. Might need a spare one day.

·
Registered
578 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
I would just swap the left and right side pads and get maximum wear out of the things. My '02 has a wear pattern similar to yours and I assume it has something to do with the linked braking system and how it applies the brakes. I also use the front brake lever 99% of the time. I think that if my rear brake pedal fell off while I was riding it would take me several stops before I even noticed it was missing.
DON'T DO THAT. NEVER SWAP THE RIGHT AND LEFT PADS ON YOUR 1800.
NO!NO!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am curious about wrenched's comment also. I was initially concerned about the rotation, but swapping the pads from the left rotor to the right, everything is the same. The pin that releases the pads is at the bottom, basic orientation on the bike is the same. Just the rotor is different. Might take a few miles to seat in like a new set of pads, but that is to be expected.

That being said I would not normally install a used set of pads. Cost is nominal and time and safety are premium. However, if I found myself or another GW rider down to the metal on the pad, I would slap the used set in and try to save the rotor or prevent something bigger going bad.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
wrenched said:
MotorcycleBoy said:
DON'T DO THAT. NEVER SWAP THE RIGHT AND LEFT PADS ON YOUR 1800.
NO!NO!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY NOT???? WHY? WHY? WHY? I have been reusing my old sets for short trips and local use without any issues. Once they wear into the rotor you cannot tell, without looking, if you are using old or new pads.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
must b something different about right and left pads because Honda uses different part numbers and has them marked for left or right use

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
cycledude said:
must b something different about right and left pads because Honda uses different part numbers and has them marked for left or right use
I believe that is because of the thin metal shim on one of the pads. The shim can only be used on the right or left side if in the correct position. It can, however, be removed and replaced onto a different brake pad.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I believe that is because of the thin metal shim on one of the pads. The shim can only be used on the right or left side if in the correct position. It can, however, be removed and replaced onto a different brake pad.
I bought some Honda pads a while ago and they packaged the wrong shim on one set. I just took it off and used an old one. That is the only difference between the two.

And yes, I have swapped the front pads to increase their life also.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I raised the wear issue to my dealer and he mentioned that the pads were different and could not be swaped from left to right. Is this not the case?? Can and what must I do to swap the pads??

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Your dealer is wrong.

Swap the pads after moving the perferated back to the correct positions. That is the only difference between the pads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts