GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a seat from Mayer in October of 05 and when I called the last week of June 06 and explained that the foam was bunching up in the crack of my ass and that there was a ridge that was pressing on my tailbone (the same complaint I has with a stock Wing seat), he was very nice, said it would take about an hour to fix. But, he was going on a 3 week vacation "in a couple of weeks" so to give him a call after that. After repeated attempts to call and e-mail him we finally talked on Tuesday. I told him that in the meantime I had a friend who is a (boat) upholsterer partially remove the cover so I could see what was causing my discomfort. He told me "that's what I do" and that I must be the only on in the world who was uncomfortable on his seat because "that's the kind of foam they use in hospitals".

When I sent an e-mail saying that I was disappointed with his attitude he replied giving me **** for having looked under the cover of the seat, said "it was as comfortable as I can make it", suggested I try padded bicycle shorts or beaded seat covers. What a dickhead!

BUYER BEWARE!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Both Rick and his brother Rocky are reknowned, at least in the BMW community, for making super comfy seats. So if you have the same problem with a Mayer saddle that you had with OEM, perhaps there's something about your anatomy or the way you sit on the bike that's causing the problem. BTW, the symptom you're complaining about is usually caused by the seams of briefs or bunched up boxer shorts. Calling a business owner filthy names in public isn't likely to resolve your issue, and it tells me alot about how this transaction actually went down.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I commissioned a Rick Mayer Saddle for my Concours a few years ago.
I explained my height and weight, leg length, etc.
I got a very pretty seat in the mail.
But the foam was as soft as a marshmellow. When I sat on it I squashed all the way down to the pan and slid forward 'til my knees hit the fairing. I couldn't go more than 30 miles on it.
I called Rick and explained the problem. He cussed me out and said that he was one of the world's leading experts on comfort. He told me that I was comfortable, that I didn't know I was comfortable, that I didn't even know what comfortable was. He cussed a few more times and told me I could send the seat back and he'd rework it when he had time. Then he hung up on me.
He called back in a few minutes and said he was sorry, that he was under stress. He said that he might have mixed my seat up with somebody else's that was much smaller.
I send the seat back and got the same one mailed back to me; it had been somewhat flattened but was still very narrow and very soft.
I called him again, he cussed again, and he said to return it for a refund.
I got a check in a few weeks and it bounced.
He said to redeposit it; I did and it didn't bounce again.

I had to pay for shipping twice and the bounced check charge. I never met this yahoo but I'd consider him emotionally unstable and a bad business risk. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, Stu, I was EXTREMELY courteous to Rick during this discussion. I've been riding over forty years and I know about bunched up shorts, etc., and that's not the problem. I wish it was 'cause I'd a lot rather change my shorts than my motorcycle seat. As a matter of fact on my last long ride I was wearing totally different shorts and that didn't make any difference.

Maybe Rick's expertise with BMW seats doesn't translate real well to GL 1800 seats. The seat's too soft!

As for my language, I'm sorry if I offended you, but this ain't church, so step down from your pulpit and quit preaching about something you don't know anything about.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I think you're being nice about it, Smitty. Having been "Ricked" myself, I know what it feels like.
I treated Mr. Mayer the same way as I treated Diamond Custom (who has built me 3 great seats), Lewis Preston, Hal, AirRider, Sierra, Gerbing, & Aerostich. I maintain a cordial and sometimes friendly relationship with most of the owners of those companies.
Not Rick Mayer though. He's an expert.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ABB.
Stu - I'm not posting here in an attempt to "resolve" the problem. Rick Mayer made it abundantly clear that he has no intention of doing anything. The seat "is as comfortable as I can make it" to quote his e-mail. And that may well be true, for all I know.
His problem seems to be that I had the unmitigated gall to look under the cover of my own seat and see what is causing the discomfort. To quote his e-mail again, the seat is "protected intellectual property". Huh?

·
Registered
221 Posts
There have been similair grumblings re. his business practices over on the ST1100/ST1300 boards. Some folks there have had good experiences and like his product, while those that were less than satisfied have been met with a smug/arrogant attitude when attempting to get some resolution to their problem.
Smitty, I found no fault with your post - you were simply letting other's know of your problem and how you were treated.

Ed W.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I know quite a few of the older members of this board will remember "MY" situation of sending my seat away to be re-done and having to call repeatedly for weeks on end with no answer, 20+ e-mails with no relpy. The seat finally did arrive a month and half overdue and I was e-mailed the day it shipped. I also got I'm going on vacation and the whole routine. Everyone asked me who did my seat , but I never told them because I never wanted anyone to go through what I did. Once a person has your money you are at there mercy. And they can do as they wish, when they wish. It's a very helpless feeling I tell ya. I was very close to purchasing a ticket to California, I was "Very" upset......... :x
Be very careful with whom you entrust your money and seat with..........

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
To quote his e-mail again, the seat is "protected intellectual property". Huh?
Sounds like he needs some intellect needs protecting. I know who not to call!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Although Rick Mayer Cycle makes a beautiful seat and is quite popular in many segments of the sport bike and long distance riding and sports touring communities. I've talked to owners on both sides of the fence that loved or were unhappy with their seats. Usually, those who were the most vocal were the ones that had unhappy experiences when additional corrective service work on their seat was required and many of those were Wing owners. At that point, since I was doing some research on an after market seat for my 1800 and had narrowed my own choice between Rick Mayer's seat and Russell's Day long seat, I made an assumption (which could be right or wrong) that Mayer's seat might not be best suited for the Goldwing. I also had my own questions about the level of service they provided when extra followup work was required.

I'd be the first one to agree that achieving a high level of comfort in an after market motorcycle seat depends upon a number of variables and may or may not always be possible, but there should always be an understanding (and agreement) between both parties on what will happen when things do not go right. I could be wrong, but I've heard and seen enough to make me suspicious of Mayer's seat for the Wing. I believe for the 1800 seat requirements you probably would have had better luck with the Russell folks up the road north 22 miles.....

DaleC

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I, too, waffled about whether to go to Mayer or to Russell. I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer and obviously made the wrong decision. Looks like I'll be talking to Russell this winter. Do I get extra points in Honda heaven for buying two custom seats? Nah, I didn't think so.

·
Registered
598 Posts
While I had Russell build me a seat for my Concours, and find it very, very comfortable (I had it done at a ride-in to assure it came out as I wanted it to), for my Wing I would also consider Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle. Many riders in the LD community have had seats done there and have been very happy with the results.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a Rich's seat and I have been very pleased with it. When after 50,000 miles it got uncomfortable I went back to Rich and he made it all good again.Great service and Rich is a real great guy.

Redeye

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
things , will and do go wronge . its what you do about it when it dose . but then ...that FREE seat i got from you . ive got a few complaints on it . you try to work things out , but some are never happy :coolit:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
If you want to have a seat fit you...do it yourself.

I have modified many a stock seat from 1980-2005.

If you are interested and have some time to work on it. I can explain to you how to be more comfortable with your stock seat.

·
Registered
973 Posts
No matter which business you choose you will find someone who had a bad experience with them. I have never done business with this Rick Mayer but I have been screwed by Russell Daylong out of Shasta, California. The short version is I'm out over a thousand dollars, two trips to Shasta and back (From Washington St.) and I ended up with a seat that really looked like it was put together by a 5 year old. It was not only amazingly uncomfortable (many people sat on it and hated it) but the fit was atrocious with large gaps on both sides exposing he tops of the side covers and a large gap at the front. This was the fourth and final version. I gave the seat away for free and don't know what eventually happened to it. I also had the passengers back rest done but let’s not even go there.

I wouldn't recommend a Russell at all. If you get a good one, great! If you get a bad one you are on your own. Money back? Yeah, right!

·
Registered
83 Posts
This sure is interesting as I sent several emails to Rick Mayer in August and September in an attempt to make an appointment to have a seat made. I received one response informing me that they would get back to me of course that did not happen. I was unaware of Rich’s Custom Seats in Seattle so I will contact them about making a seat for me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rich's Custom Seats has a very strong client base in the LDR community.I think that his seats are as good as it gets.

richscustomseats.com

Redeye

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I sat on Redeye's seat about a month ago, comparing it with my Russell. We are roughly the same misshapen size, and I would think I would be as happy with his butt rest as well as my Russell. Both look very well made, both are good looking, and, at least to me, both are comfortable.

I picked a Russell after getting a Diamond, which was a less expensive very good looking well made seat, but did not fit worth a damn.

Only thing I know about the Rick Mayer seats is that when I was shopping for a seat, they do not reply to inquery emails, so figured their customer support was of equal quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts