GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a parking lot mishap with a two-wheeled trailer on my first Goldwing, ball hitch slop, etc. the sight of a single-wheeled trailer coupled with a universal joint that would permit the trailer to lean with the bike seemed like a great idea whose time had come.

We purchased a Uni-Go from the BMW dealer in DePere, Wisconsin - just south of Green Bay during the last year of production in New Zealand.

We enjoyed the trailer during a 4400 mile trip to the rockies, Grand Canyon, Brice, Zion etc.

This year with a new 2005 GL1800 and the Bushtec hitch things looked pretty good as we departed for the Blue Ridge Parkway and other points east from Wisconsin.

As we passed through Indianapolis we noted that they were grinding the top 2"-3" of asphalt off in order to repave. We hit a bump so deep that coming out of it I was unable to stay seated and was stood straight up. We made it out of there and in Beckley, WV my wife started shouting in the intercom that the trailer was dragging. I stopped and sure enough, the point where the tongue is attached to the trailer was starting to pull away. We called GWRRA towbusters and the tow truck they sent was big enough to put a RAM 2500 pickup on. (they got there within 45 minutes)
We put the punkin seed on the long flat bed and continued on our way with what we could get in our side bags. Friends mailed the rest back to our home.

After our vacation ended I called Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories (the new owner of Uni-Go production) to discuss what would be needed to fix it. If you look on their web page, the spare part is the entire lower frame at about $645. Mark Huffman (owner) knew exactly what the problem was. It seems that the last year of production in New Zealand, someone convinced the manufacturer that a 1/8" plate between the frame members that the tongue is attached to was sufficient in lieu of the 1/4" plate formerly used. He said if I could get it there it could be repaired for around $100.

I drove to Beckley, WV to get it - dropped it off at Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories north of Cincinnati. I came back a month later and picked it up. Repair was $150.

Bottom line is Mark could have easily taken my $645 for the lower frame but went the extra mile to get it done right with minimal cost to me. I'm tickled I have a company to contact after the New Zealand operation closed its doors. He believes in the trailer design and is making subtle improvements in reliability and manufacturability by standardizing alot of things that were tweaked in New Zealand on every trailer off of the line.

I know I've read some posts from discouraged/disappointed folks but can tell you I've seen that they're improving every day. They've moved from their garage to a small production shop with more capacity, etc. than before. Heck, Steve Jobs and Wozniak started Apple in a garage too!

I am not affiliated with Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories, was not paid for this post, etc. I'm just a customer who appreciates good service.

·
Registered
253 Posts
uni-go

---Woodstock. Sorry to hear of the failure. Good to hear some positive news from the Schoolhouse. I have one of the last New Z's made. I have pulled it behind my FJR and now my 06 Goldwing. Approximately 10,000mi worth. Stuffed full of gear and clothes. We have really injoyed it. Have had no ploblems at all with it. Pepacked the bearings one time. Just have to get it painted black now to match the wing. I'd do it again!! 8)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Bob - thanks for the report. I too, have one of the last from New Zealand. I'm only about 75 miles from Schoolhouse. I may give them a call and see what they recommend as I sure like my unit and wouldn't want what you had happen, happen to me. Glad things worked out for you!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
woodstocker said:
Mark Huffman (owner) knew exactly what the problem was. It seems that the last year of production in New Zealand, someone convinced the manufacturer that a 1/8" plate between the frame members that the tongue is attached to was sufficient in lieu of the 1/4" plate formerly used. He said if I could get it there it could be repaired for around $100.
Seems like the trailer was defective in design. The fix should have been free even if out of warranty. IMO, it doesn't matter if the current owners were aware of this defect or not... they bought the business, warts and all. I'm gald you're happy, but I'd be ticked and wouldn't buy anything from them again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have travelled about 15,000 miles with the Unigo behind so far (28,000km). I too have noticed that the connection between the trailer and the drawbar has moved a bit. Thanks for the suggestion to get a thicker plate. A good winter project.

The biggest problem I experience is that the Unigo can only jacknife about 20 degrees before the universal joint binds up. If the universal joint was rotated about 45 degrees before being welded, I could do tighter turns before the universal joint binds up. Oh well, I guess I can cope.

I am not likely to sell it. Heading out for a trip with it again as soon as spring rolls around..

·
Registered
120 Posts
It was great to hear a bit about uni-go I've been waiting patiently for them to get some of the bugs worked out that they inherited. Reading your post reasures my discission to go with them.thanks again glenn in phx

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you turn the yoke 45* it lock when you lean into one of the turns.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bob,

Just so you know, if you pull a Bushtec trailer with their heim joint hitch you can lay the Wing down with the trailer attached and nothing gets hurt but your pride.

This is not hear-say. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
HHHmmm??? I've never "out turned" my Unigo trailer - even when doing the tightest U turn I can without falling over :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
253 Posts
uni-go

---Charlie. I think he was talking about backing up with it. I to can lock it up when backing. I just pull up just alittle to straighten it out some. David 8)

·
Registered
713 Posts
DOH !! My bad. Ya - that's probably what he meant :D :D
That's why they don't let me play with scissors - everything goes right over my head :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Roadking522 said:
HHHmmm??? I've never "out turned" my Unigo trailer - even when doing the tightest U turn I can without falling over :shock: :shock:
I am still waiting (after months) for a satisfactory resolution to my uni-go problems.

Roadking - I have noticed a specific situation where I have on 2 occasions "out turned" my uni-go and it has caused a little concern for me, but doesn't seem to cause any damage.

The situation is this- low speed, parking lot. I find an entire row of spaces open and ride perpendicular to them, inside the spaces (far to the inside), then pull a tight left to line up with a parking space (I'm now inside one spot facing outward). One time the turn was made walking the bike through it.

Both times after getting off the bike, I go back to find the u-joint clearly binding. It doesn't seem like it is binding by much, but it is clearly touching at it's limit of movement. I generally grab the uni-go and straighten it out, and it does seem like there is a little stress on the joint when I move it.

I don't think I can out-turn it while riding around, it seems this may only happen at very slow speeds coming to a stop after a tight turn. I think the answer would be to extend the arms coming off the trailer drawbar (to the u-joint) by an inch or so. This would allow the arms from the receiver adapter to swing inside the span of those from the trailer and I think would solve all the problems including limited movement while backing up.

Chris

·
Registered
128 Posts

I find that the trailer will lock up if I ride forward into a parking space, and then put the Wing on the sidestand. I can see the U-joint has bound up. This is also a problem when backing up. It locks up almost before I can see it in the mirrors.

This can be solved using the SAME universal joint fastened in the same location on the draw bar. Magic??

The current design is like the blue image. A turn uses ONLY the vertical shaft. The horizontal shaft is for up/down motion.

The white picture shows the same universal joint, but no shaft is vertical. The joint is rotated 45 degrees. So BOTH shafts would be involved for left and right turns. Each joint would bind earlier, but their combined cooperation would allow a turn almost 40% tighter without binding.

1.414 greater angle actually (root 2).

You could try this out with a real universal joint for amusement. If the new company incorporates this in their new drawbar, I will probably order one to replace the one the Uni-go came with.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rate the Uni-go for me. Is it a thumbs up or down? It seems as though several have had turning and or backing issues. Are those problems only with the units produced in New Zealand, or with the units made in Ohio as well? I've been thinking about ordering one. Practically speaking how much stuff can you fit into one?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hey Metric - I'm about 50 min. or so from you. Feel free to come look at mine. If the weather was better, you could pull it around but we're supposed to be getting a foot of snow tomorrow so that could be a bad idea :shock: As for size - picture a standard 4 drawer filing cabinet. Now get rid of two of the drawers and what you have left is close to the carring capacity of the Unigo. A bit over 4 cubic feet. Another way to think of it is this - pack everything you can into a Walmart shopping cart (I'm thinking groceries, here) and you still have room left ! Anyhow, if you want to stop up, you're welcome to see mine - although - it's not much further down to Lebanon to where they're made :D If you don't buy one by spring thaw and are still in the market, you can pull mine around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Charlie: Thanks for the gracious offer. Yes, we are to get snow so we may have to postpone things for a while. In any event, the offer is gracious and I greatly appreciate your response. It helps to visualize the capacity based upon your description. Based upon parameters set up by the wife, I'll be looking to get my 2007 w/ABS sometime after the first of the year. I'm thinking about the silver paint scheme, and might consider color matching the Uni-go. I can't tell from the photo, what options did you get on the trailer itself? (things like powder coat, chrome, etc.)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Metric4me said:
Rate the Uni-go for me. Is it a thumbs up or down? It seems as though several have had turning and or backing issues. Are those problems only with the units produced in New Zealand, or with the units made in Ohio as well? I've been thinking about ordering one. Practically speaking how much stuff can you fit into one?
Thumbs up, two thumbs way up.

I have a colourmatched Uni-Go, and that is definitly the way to go.
Very tight turns are a minor issue, as is backing up, but then I have no experience backing up any type of trailer.
And if backing up becomes a problem, I just lift up the trailer and move it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just got my Uni-Go trailer a couple of weeks ago so I have yet to take any long trips with it so I am no expert. I did tow it back home from the factory ( 250 expessway miles ) and around town for a total of maybe 750 miles. During that time I had no problems with tight turns going forward but backing up is a different story. Because I cannot see the trailer in the mirrors inorder to backup I will purposely turn the bike in one direction until I can see the Uni-Go in the mirror and then turn the bike the opposite way until I see it in the other mirror and then I keep repeating this until I am where I want to be. Kind of like a snake in reverse. These S-Turns are getting smaller as I gain more experience. Turning while backing up, like pulling out of a parking spot, is fairly easy because I can see the trailer in the mirrors and I treat it just the same as the two wheel type trailer I have used. It is also nice in that the bike and trailer can easily fit in a single parking spot. I think one of the best things to do is to set your bike on its center stand and pick up the trailer ( easy to do ) and crank it all the way over to the side and then sit on your bike and look in the mirror to get the sight picture of full travel so as to try and not excede this angle when backing up. Going forward it's like everyone has said " I can't tell it's there". Because of its unusual design I have gotten a number of other bikers come over and look at it each time I stop at a gas station or parking lot. As is with all new parents I am happy to show the thing off and without exception they all remark on how much the Uni-Go could hold once they look inside the trailer. My wife and I are not campers and as such I figure we can easily motel-it for 2 weeks without have to spend a day doing laundry and are looking forward to better weather to put it to the test. If you plan on buying one figure 3 months from the date you place the order to the day you can hitch it up to your bike.
Ride Safe
Ken

1 - 20 of 23 Posts