GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if you carry uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance?
and maybe how much more you paid for it?

My son was hit from behind while at a traffic light by a guy on a Harley.
Totaled both bike's. My son although OK today, ended up with his right leg tore up even though he had all the gear on. The driver of the Harley (from PA) got insurance long enough to get his tag renewed and then dropped the insurance.
My son has liability (100/300) but could not afford comp and collision due to his age.

Another issue for us Florida residents is that you are not required to have motorcycle insurance if you are over a certain age. This makes having
uninsured motorist coverage that much more important in our state.

What do you guys think about this coverage.?

Thanks.

RJ

PS. The Harley rider in addition to NOT having insurance did NOT have a helmet. :doorag::eek:4::-(. Dead within 3 days. Oh, he must have missed the DMV rule that says drinking and driving is against the rules.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sorry to here about the accident. Hope your son recovers completely. I'm also sorry to hear about the other rider.

I have Uninsured coverage and have collected once already. Unisured Motorist Coverage is very expensive here in Texas, due to the high number of uninsured drivers. Here it's called Uninsured and Under Insured Motorist Coverage. I am paying over $400 a year just for the this coverage.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think if you have medical insurance, and collision, you don't need it.
If you have medical only, consider getting uninsured property damage.
If you have collision only, consider getting uninsured medical pay.
If you have liability only, then I think you should consider getting both.

..louie

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have it for all my vehicles.....lots of uninsured folks from "south of the border" here. :22yikes:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Cost, South Carolina

Progressive full coverage, yearly cost is $402.87. $46 dollars of that is uninsured coverage.

The only reason I know is I just took the new policy and put it in the drawer.

Underinsured I do not bother with, if I only carried liability I would .

31 bucks a year, is roadside assistance, pays for towing, motel, eats the kind of thing, up to 3 days or 1500 bucks, something like that.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Having it made a HUGE difference for my wife and I when a guy in an oncoming pickup made a left in front of us 2 years ago. We T-boned him at 35-40 mph - 100% his fault. He was "judgement proof" - i.e., was driving an old ford ranger with state minimum insurance and had no assets. Our '09 wing was totalled - over 20K there plus medical bills were nearly 75K so his limit of liability was well exceeded.
We collected our damages on our un/under-insured motorist coverage.
If you don't have it, only your actual hospital bills will be covered by major medical. You will get nothing for pain and suffering - trust me - there will be plenty of that.

As soon as we got a new bike I increased the coverage to 300k/500k.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
My best friend has progressive and thought he had full coverage on the motorcycles he has three. He made a legal right turn and the car coming from his left was in a MUST turn right lane, but decided that oops I did not want to turn here and went thru the intersection anyway. She hit his left elbow with her right mirror. Knocked him off the bike over the windshield. Progressive wanted to pay only 300.00 for part of the ambulance ride and said medicare will pay the hospital so its is not our problem.

She had only minimum coverage as required in texas and that did not cover the damage to the bike let alone any medical or other out of pocket costs. When his lawyers got done progressive paid the bills and admitted that his under/un insured coverage gave him his full 100/300 coverage on everything somewhere close to 25,000. Sometimes you just gotta push back just a little. Make sure you read all the motorcycle policy you might not have what you think !

He now has 6" metal and a pile of screws in the left arm but still rode 200 miles at the rally in russleville yesterday. We are still stuck working with cancer drs with my wife for at least another week. Then we can head south.... Don

·
Registered
64 Posts
Progressive

Uninsured Motorist 16.00 per year
Underinsured Motorist 8.00 per year

I wouldn't be without uninsured coverage. To many people out there with no insurance.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cost, South Carolina

Progressive full coverage, yearly cost is $402.87. $46 dollars of that is uninsured coverage.

The only reason I know is I just took the new policy and put it in the drawer.

Underinsured I do not bother with, if I only carried liability I would .

31 bucks a year, is roadside assistance, pays for towing, motel, eats the kind of thing, up to 3 days or 1500 bucks, something like that.

KIT and all that have responded so far....THANKS
I started with Foremost Insurance when I bought the wing. When I got the policy I was asked to sign the Uninsured Motorist waiver.(did not) Well I thought that was included in the premium. (Which I paid for the year).

They (Foremost) then sent me an invoice for 1500.00 for uninsured motorist coverage, WHAT !!. I have since gone to State Farm which has my other vehicles. State Farm has a feature called stacking. This provides all of the vehicles in the household with Uninsured Motorist coverage for a premium on one of the cars. The premium is much less on a car then on a bike. Kit, $46.00 sounds like a deal.

RJ

·
Registered
405 Posts
This is probably the MOST important insurance to have. And, NOT just the minimums. This pays YOUR hospital and recovery expenses if the other guy cannot.

I pay several hundred $ extra per year to carry the MAXIMUM allowed, not just a few K.

If you get injured bad, spend a couple 100K in hospital, a year or two out of work and in therapy, this is the ONLY thing that will pay all those bills. Unless the other guy can pay, but most likely he cannot.

Total your bike, out say 10,000 with chrome. Two years laid up and hospital, possible $500,000 or much more.

Where are you exposed the most?

MP

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I carry it - like someone said above, here in Houston we have a lot of uninsured drivers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
uninsured/under is worth it . Just too many ilegals around here to mess with it . My biggest fear is to get hit by one and he walks away back to mexico. If you cannot afford insurance dont drive till you can !
pretty simple really

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here in Washington state I pay $540 for full insurance (maximum limits) on my 2010 Wing. I even have an umbrella policy on top of that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have many drivers here who think a drivers license is just another piece of paper to carry so they don't bother. Add that to the group who do actually have a license but think insurance is a "luxury" that they can't afford after sending the paycheck across the border:eek: Makes me happy that I carry uninsured on all my vehicles. Just call me chicken I guess.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
If you get injured bad, spend a couple 100K in hospital, a year or two out of work and in therapy, this is the ONLY thing that will pay all those bills.
Actually, many people have insurance coverage through their employer that pays all medical bills (after a deductible). Disability insurance would pay for any out of work losses even without Uninsured Motorist coverage. In the case of the OP's son, the problem wasn't medical bills, but physical coverage of his motorcycle.

In many states, Uninsured Motorist coverage doesn't cover damage to a vehicle so having that coverage might have been <moot> for the OP's son. In other words, even if he had uninsured motorist coverage it would have made no difference, he still might have been SOL as far as collecting on any damages.

Anyone riding a motorcycle (or any other vehicle) without collision coverage or comprehensive coverage is taking a huge chance if the vehicle is damaged. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I paid $800 for my accident on June 30th, my health insurance (not vehicle insurance) paid the remaining $125,200 or so.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Actually, many people have insurance coverage through their employer that pays all medical bills (after a deductible). Disability insurance would pay for any out of work losses even without Uninsured Motorist coverage. In the case of the OP's son, the problem wasn't medical bills, but physical coverage of his motorcycle.

In many states, Uninsured Motorist coverage doesn't cover damage to a vehicle so having that coverage might have been <moot> for the OP's son. In other words, even if he had uninsured motorist coverage it would have made no difference, he still might have been SOL as far as collecting on any damages.

Anyone riding a motorcycle (or any other vehicle) without collision coverage or comprehensive coverage is taking a huge chance if the vehicle is damaged. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I paid $800 for my accident on June 30th, my health insurance (not vehicle insurance) paid the remaining $125,200 or so.
Florida is one of those states, covers hard medical costs only, nothing else.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Here in Ill-noise we are required to carry uninsured/underinsured coverage. Guess the insurance companies wanted it so they bought the state legislature to pass it.

Here in Ill-noise we have a lot of people that send their paychecks over the border. They don't need it. They got welfare.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts