GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to shop for some chrome to add to my dark red '06 to brighten it up some. After reading about all the problems with lighted trim, is anyone running unlighted chrome trim?

Brand? Opinions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have both top & bottom unlighted chrome trim
brakes it up nicely

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Yes I have it . It does look nice but caution. The chrome seems to be a little soft. (lack of anything else to call it.) I will scratch real easy.

In my opinion all of the plastic chrome is a little soft. I have some scratches all in various places on all of mine. But I have to factor in the fact the bike now has 53,000 (s)miles on it and it has been wiped down several times. Usually I go over it first with leberal amounts of warm water on soft rags.

Ross

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
I've used the Big Bike, as seen in pic, on a couple of my 18's. I don't hook up or install the lights. Less Hassle! LOL... I've also used the Hondaline & Big Bike chrome trim. I think they are the same thing. :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
I also heard stories about the reliability of the lighted trims and went for the chrome ones. I agree with 5Ross, the chrome does need care if it is not to scratch.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Now I know why the license plate area is so big...Is that the normal plate used in England???

·
Registered
231 Posts
Unlighted trim is nice touch if you don't want extra lighting on the bike. It adds the contrast to the paint without any extra work except to remove the old trim and install the new. Just make sure to clean the area where the two sided tape joins the bodywork for good adhesion.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Un-lit chrome for me too!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got advice from the guy behind the counter of a major Goldwing accessory store that the lighted trim is more hassle than it's worth. They're problematic enough that he advised against them.
I went with unlit chrome, and haven't regretted it a bit.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,753 Posts
I was using the chrome trim for a few years with my bike. I never had any problems with my chrome trim. I washed my bike often with soap and water and used Honda spray wax on it. I just recently removed the chrome trim and went with the new Kury chrome lense LED lighted trim. They install easy and look like chrome trim during the day, but at night you are much more visible with the LED lights. I wire all my lights to a switch so I can turn them off during the daytime.

I

·
0 Posts
Here is an option for the bottom of your trunk.

It is available lighted or unlighted. As you can see, mine is unlighted.

Let me know if you want to know where to get it. Ain't cheap!

Ride safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts