21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It's a problem for them:
A loose battery cable (first thread you cited), a rider who forgot to turn his bike off (second thread you cited), and your thread where you may not have been completely stopped before flipping the knob. And they make it a problem??

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A loose battery cable (first thread you cited), a rider who forgot to turn his bike off (second thread you cited), and your thread where you may not have been completely stopped before flipping the knob. And they make it a problem??
Please provide your definition of a problem. I'll provide mine: An ignition system that doesn't turn fully off when you turn it off and that doesn't give you any warning so that when you return to the bike it is completely dead qualifies, in my world, as a problem. The fact that it has happened to more than one person and that it has been written about multiple times so that people know about it makes it a known problem.

In fact, Fred H. says that Honda engineers have told him they know about this, so this is also known to Honda, at least on some level. Does that make it "known" enough?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Please provide your definition of a problem. I'll provide mine: An ignition system that doesn't turn fully off when you turn it off and that doesn't give you any warning so that when you return to the bike it is completely dead qualifies, in my world, as a problem. The fact that it has happened to more than one person and that it has been written about multiple times so that people know about it makes it a known problem.

In fact, Fred H. says that Honda engineers have told him they know about this, so this is also known to Honda, at least on some level. Does that make it "known" enough?
Sure. You win. Since you don't go on other Wing groups, I'll let you know the results of my informal poll on a FB 18/19 Wing group. So far, the results show it isn't a known problem over there, but it is still early. Good to know it is a problem here.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sure. You win. Since you don't go on other Wing groups, I'll let you know the results of my informal poll on a FB 18/19 Wing group. So far, the results show it isn't a known problem over there, but it is still early. Good to know it is a problem here.
Thanks, having been married for 47 years, "You win" is not something I have often heard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dead battery twice in the first 4K. After the second one I replaced battery with a non OEM and have not had a problem in the next 22K. Not sure if there was a poor batch of batteries or not and don't really care.

Twice was enough for me. Replaced and never looked back. Dealer asked if I wanted to put in a warranty claim and I said "forget it." I've got better things to do, like going for a ride.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
dead battery twice in the first 4k. After the second one i replaced battery with a non oem and have not had a problem in the next 22k. Not sure if there was a poor batch of batteries or not and don't really care.

Twice was enough for me. Replaced and never looked back. Dealer asked if i wanted to put in a warranty claim and i said "forget it." i've got better things to do, like going for a ride.
hey remo? Are you there?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
hey remo? Are you there?
I was asleep. Different time zone than you.

On the "problem" being known to Honda...if you recall the post a few pages back, Honda says it is a "feature", not a problem. There is some head scratching as to what the feature is, but anyway.

As for my unscientific poll that was open for 9 hours, I asked "how many of you have failed to completely turn off your 2018/19 WIng and return to a bike with a dead battery?"

Of the 1898 group members, 87 answered the poll. 72 said never, 11 said they failed to turn off the bike completely but caught it before the battery was dead, 3 said it happened to them once, one said it happened to him twice or more. 87 data points with the vast majority never having the "problem" of the bike not turning off.

One VERY interesting post recently in that group was a person who's bike would not shut off at all. No matter what, the engine kept running. Now THAT is a problem, even if it is just 1 bike (so far). Happened to him more than once.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Perhaps I'm the only one, but leaving a key, particularly a spare fob, with the bike isn't my thing.
You can't start the bike with just the key. You need the numerical code that came with the key to start the bike. The key just gets you into the saddlebags, trunk and right storage glove box so you can implement the code and start the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I was asleep. Different time zone than you.

On the "problem" being known to Honda...if you recall the post a few pages back, Honda says it is a "feature", not a problem. There is some head scratching as to what the feature is, but anyway.

As for my unscientific poll that was open for 9 hours, I asked "how many of you have failed to completely turn off your 2018/19 WIng and return to a bike with a dead battery?"

Of the 1898 group members, 87 answered the poll. 72 said never, 11 said they failed to turn off the bike completely but caught it before the battery was dead, 3 said it happened to them once, one said it happened to him twice or more. 87 data points with the vast majority never having the "problem" of the bike not turning off.

One VERY interesting post recently in that group was a person who's bike would not shut off at all. No matter what, the engine kept running. Now THAT is a problem, even if it is just 1 bike (so far). Happened to him more than once.
Unscientific surveys are a known problem.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Unscientific surveys are a known problem.
Claiming something is a problem when there is not enough data to determine if there is a problem is a problem.

Not knowing what might be causing a possible problem is a problem.

Problems are problems.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can't start the bike with just the key. You need the numerical code that came with the key to start the bike. The key just gets you into the saddlebags, trunk and right storage glove box so you can implement the code and start the bike.
Or allows someone to empty whatever is in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. New 2018 gold wing owner after 25+ years on HD. Battery dead. Used the key to get the left saddlebag open, but did not see and could not find the emergency release for right saddlebag. I have 2018 Tour 6 speed. I saw NOTHING in there that remotely resembled the “prong” alluded to in the manual. Help??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello. New 2018 gold wing owner after 25+ years on HD. Battery dead. Used the key to get the left saddlebag open, but did not see and could not find the emergency release for right saddlebag. I have 2018 Tour 6 speed. I saw NOTHING in there that remotely resembled the “prong” alluded to in the manual. Help??
I have circled the cable ring for the left bag. Slide it off the peg and pull the ring.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
For me, the fact that I listen to music while I prepare to leave the bike gives me notice that the bike did not turn off after turning the knob counter clockwise. I don't lock the fork in the garage and I don't always lock the fork for a quick run into a sandwich shop, but I have had a few times of turning the knob counterclockwise and the music continued playing because it did not shut off. On mine, failure to acknowledge a twist of the knob is far more frequent for clockwise rotation than counterclockwise. I sometimes have to turn the knob as many as 8 times to get it unlocked, on, then ACC to start playing music while I gear up. Waiting a couple seconds between rotations do not help; it has to be closer to 10 seconds between. At that rate, I am just as well off to keep turning until I finally get to ACC. I also watch the instrument panel for waking up and I know what is supposed to go out when finally on ACC, so I can see that I am not doing a couple of on-ACC-on-ACC cycles. I also consider this as a "problem", but it is a problem that will never be fixed unless Honda changes from a momentary rotation to a stay in desired position type like a real key; and that change is the very reason it will not be fixed as Honda will never make that change. The only other possible fix would be tied to increased data speed in the CANBUS system but this would mean that the underlying problem is tied to the communication speed as a less than priority signal ends up being lost in overload of primary signals. My need for multiple "ACC" rotations may be tied to the CANBUS system still waking up processing many priority "system checks" after unlocking missing my non-priority attempt to get to "ACC".

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've sat in the garage on my bike a few times listening to the Sirius XM Radio in ACC mode and I remember it turning off automatically at around 15 minutes of uninterrupted use.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts