GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my throttle was getting a bit slack again and when I adjusted with the top link, correct free board was obtained with the adjuster almost all the way out. So I turned it out all the way and shot some Teflon lube into the casing, then I set the top adjuster all the way in and grabbed the Honda Service Manaual.

"Remove top shelter" was the first step. Why? The adjuster is under the frame just below the left steering stop. I got my 8mm and 10mm wrenches and flash light and sure eough, the lower adjuster was right there in plain sight behind the left fork and just inboard of the left pocket. So I loosened the lock nut and backed the aduster out about 7 or 8 mm and reset the lock nut; total elapsed time about 10 minutes not including the top adjuster. That bottom adjuster and cable looks a bit fragile, so take care to not bend or kink it.

Then I used the top adjuster to set throttle play just the way I like it - just a few mm of free travel. Following the book, I would have not even had teh top shelter off yet.

prs

S

·
0 Posts
Following the book, I would have not even had the top shelter off yet.

prs

Aww , come on PRS your not supposed to give Honda secrets away like that or they will go broke in the service departments . :eek:4:

No matter what service manual you get on any product , there is usually a way to take a short cut . Glad you found out before you had the shelter off . :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Hope you knocked on wood. If not, something is going to break that will make you take the top shelter off.

Thanks for the tip. You reminded me of one more thing I forgot to do in my spring maintenance. I don't work well in tight places, (no jokes please), but hopefully I will be able to get to it easier than I did trying to do my shock without removing the tank.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I ruined mine through excessive bending. I haven't worked up the courage to do the new one yet.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew! Dang! I jest got in frum removing th' shelter an' puttin' it back on an' knockin' on wood 'n sech. I got to ride a bit today with the new adjustment and it was real nice.

Karl, the top most connection of that lower adjuster does seem to be very frail and I lifted it forward ever so gently to get the 8mm on it.

prs

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's still alot more fun just tearing everything down.......:joke:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts