GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to move over this annoying plastic cover that covers the forks, in order to open the fork cap without going thru the whole process of removing forks?
Why Honda has always complicate things...

·
DSI Keeper
9,170 Posts
There are two phillip screws that hold that plastic cover on. You need to at least remove the meter cover to get to them. As a side note. the fork service has been one of the easier forks to service, compared to Honda bikes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are two phillip screws that hold that plastic cover on. You need to at least remove the meter cover to get to them. As a side note. the fork service has been one of the easier forks to service, compared to Honda bikes.
Yeah, I saw that philips screw hidden inside, about an inch below a metal plate over it. Not sure what meter cover you're talking about

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The grey cover over the speakers, ignition switch and gauges . You don't list what year it is. The meter panels come off differently for different years.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The grey cover over the speakers, ignition switch and gauges" - sounds a lot as well...
Sorry, it's 2008

·
Registered
470 Posts
"The grey cover over the speakers, ignition switch and gauges" - sounds a lot as well...
Sorry, it's 2008
Very easy to remove on a '08. Two pins on either side of the ignition and two up by the speakers. You have to remove a connector that's under the cover and in front of the ignition and the two connectors for the tweeters.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The top clamp cover is easy to remove as already noted but it's even easier to lift it up out of the way and get a 17 mm socket on the cap. I've dropped the forks twice now without removing the cover. The plastic cover bends up and out of the way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank all, but I still may need to take the forks apart as the left one leaks oil. Have to replace the seals.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If your seals are leaking then you will have to remove that fork to replace the seal.

Ron

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I assumed you were taking the forks out for maintenance when you originally posted.

It doesn't change anything for me, I've dropped the forks out twice and just lifted up the black plastic cover over the top clamp to loosen the top cap before dropping the forks out of the clamps. Once for a fork oil change and once to replace the seals and bushings.

The service manual says to remove the combination meter assembly and the handlebar center cover but the fork caps are accessible without doing this.

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
Depending on the year, the meter panel will not need to come off to get the 2 screw out that hold the plastic fork cover in place. Moving the bars from side-to-side will allow more access to the screws.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll take the forks out for replacing the seals. Just wanted to loosen up the cap, but that's ok, will do it in the jaws. Still will need to have the caps on to undo the lower bolt.

On a side note, I read about the seal leakage problems on a GW and it often happens even on a low mileage bikes...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I backed off the top pinch bolts, crack the caps loose while the lower clamp pinch bolts hold the leg in place, then loosen the lower clamp bolts to slide the legs out. The oil seal bolts (up inside the lower leg) came loose with the leg held in a padded vise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts