GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a base model 2008, that I bought new, I noticed an unstable idle, and I found a few post on here about doing an ECM reset.

I started the bike, let it idle until the fans kicked on and then off, and then I turned off the bike.

It did not fix it.

Today, I disconnected the battery, touched the battery cables together, turned the bike on, and then reconnected the battery and did the same procedure for ECM reset.

I think it may be better, but it is not 100 percent stable.

But I did notice that even though I disconnected the battery, the clock, radio settings, opening ceremony, and other things did not reset.

Is there a small battery somewhere on board that keeps these things from resetting? And could that also keep the ECM from resetting?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Well; that is certainly strange. You should have lost your radio presets, your clock settings, your custom sign on and sign off messages; but NOT your ECM current memory. The default ECM memory is the one that typically produced the slow idle hetrodyne. It sounds as if your bike is stuck in that default memory. I have no idea as to why you did not lose the pre-sets -- there is no other battery of which I am aware that could keep a bias voltage upon them.

prs

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the wire connected in the left fairing pocket for an I-Pod, but it was not connected.

I figured thered had to be some internal battery, because otherwise your odometer would reset wouldn't it.

I had it disconnected for a couple minutes, and I shorted the positive and negative cables together, and even turned the ignition switch to on before I reconnected the battery, and I did not loose any of the presets.

It is the base model 2008.

Also, I have not even connected the accessory power outlet yet. I am still waiting on it to be delivered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts