GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the HM for about a month, and have gotten the usual reactions: oncoming cars who flash their lights at me, or people who pull over, or an occasional driver who motions me to come along side, and says something like, "your lights are flashing." But last week I pulled up behind a 4-wheeler stopped for a light. When it turned green, he went about 1/2 block and stopped in the street! (We were on a city street with 4 lanes plus center turn lane and because of traffic, I couldn't go around him.) I had no idea why he stopped, but it soon became obvious when he got out of the car and started walking towards me, reaching for his billfold which persumably contained his driver's license. Meanwhile, I was watching the traffic in the inner lane plus those who were stopped behind me, just in case someone would attempt something dumb. I motioned for him to go on, but he didn't understand. Finally, when he got close enough to hear me say "headlight modulator," then I think he saw his mistake, smiled (probably relieved!), walked back to his car & moved on. I didn't think I looked like a Law Enforcement Officer, but then, what do I know?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had kind of a weird experience also. Performed a tune-up on my Wife's
scoot, added a modulator per her request, and went for a quick ride.

2 Blocks! Lady in an El Camino pulls right out in front of me! I came
to a stop about 3 feet from her door as she simply stared!

Yup, it worked, she saw me and could not take her eyes off that flashing
light :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
crazy biker said:
...last week I pulled up behind a 4-wheeler stopped for a light. When it turned green, he went about 1/2 block and stopped in the street!...
Here in Georgia, people do some pretty weird things when they see one of the modulators. I've seen drivers literally pull off into a ditch or, like you, slam on their brakes in the middle of traffic nearly causing an accident. Apparently they're thinking we are LEO's or maybe a funeral.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Actually, I can understand somewhat. Sometimes the modulators are very annoying (I personally do not like them on my bike, nor on the ones that I meet). I guess they serve their purpose, since I take note of them and they annoy me.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
crazy, what color is your bike? I had someone pass me on the superslab last year, then immediately pull off to the right. My bike is red; go figure.

G

·
Headlight modulators are as annoying or worse than load HD pipes. Add these to the list of why people frown on motorcycles. We as a community are drawing some pretty negitive opinions from the general public, through noise, dirt bag dress and now the in your face headlight flicker.
Actually I think the headlight flogging is worse than the ear blast. No wonder all the odd reactions.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
swipter said:
Is the modulator on your low beams?
The mod was on the highbeams at the time; they are now on the lows, which seems to be less confusing. It may be irritating to some, but so are the soccer moms and teenyboppers with the cell phone stuck to the side of their head. When I'm driving the PU, I've used the air horns more than once to wake up these peeps at stoplights or signs, because they get engrossed in their phone conversations. Air horns also work on the bass bombers; pull up to me at a stoplight with the bass rattling my windows, and I blast them right back.

I left work yesterday afternoon at the same time as one of the tech men, and we both went on the same rural highway, with me in the lead (in my van). He would come right up on my rear bumper, then fall way back. I noticed this happened a couple times (my van was on cruise at 57 mph), before I noticed that he was on his cell phone. People shouldn't try to drive and talk at the same time. :roll:

Headlight mods...ON.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer your questions, my bike is white & the modulator is on the low beams. When using the modulator I try to remember to use the HEADLIGHT ADJUST knob & keep the lights adjusted about halfway up, but don't remember if I did that in the situation described in my post.

Regarding your observations about cell phone useage, I've often wished I had some sort of attention-getting sign I could deploy saying HANG UP AND DRIVE or something like that!

Cheers.......

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
You better be prepared for drivers to do just about anything when you use a modulator, cause it confuses them.

Personally, I won't put one on my bike. I think their chances of causing an accident are just as great as preventing one, as this case clearly illustrates. What if the driver who got out of his car had been hit and killed by another vehicle?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I got my GL1800 I had installed a home-built modulator on my GL1200. The setup was, admittedly, not in compliance with the federal regulations regarding modulators but frankly, I liked it better than the one I purchased for the 1800. My homemade unit kept the low beam on all the time, and flashed the high beam, but at less than 100% maximum brilliance. In my opinion, it was less annoying than the present unit, but still commanded attention.

Personally, I'd like to see the federal regulations changed to allow modulation between full-on to about half-on. I think this might be less confusing/annoying to others, yet still get their attention. I just may do some experimenting..............

JMHO.....

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Why would someone have the modulators on at a stop light behinds somebody? Why would a rider have them on with other riders ahead? There are times to use them and times to shut them off.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I have a hard time when I see them, I tend to focus on them and head for them..

If you just drive very defensively, you would not need stuff that could get you killed.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Headlight Modulator

I have had a Modulator since 03 and find them to be very useful when apporaching intersections and you get a group of cars not paying attn I then turn on my high beams and it works great. I do not run full time high beams with the modulator, It causes more problems then good.

·
Registered
694 Posts
May I suggest that any person who is not paying enough attention to differentiate between a LEO's bike and mine, is the type that's not going to pay enough attention to see me before they pull out in front of me.

The way I see it, riding is a one card game. If I or "they" make one mistake my (use any of the following words here...kid's/wife's/employees)lives are over or changed forever.

There is one item that absolutely increases the odds of getting seen. A HM. Can't get "them" to be alert, killing a biker because you were in a hurry, on the cell or tired..no crime there (at least in AZ). Learned that tired thing first hand 2 years ago.

Oh so someone is annoyed. F'em. I think my life is worth their minor annoyance. I will turn it off when "they" start looking.

Boy that felt good.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I dont have a stake in it either way...I just know I wont put any HM on my scoot...

·
Registered
267 Posts
The very first ride I took after installing a HM demonstrated to me how effective they are. This may not be scientific proof but I believe it to be true.

Here in southern cal our HOV lanes are marked with double yellow lines. The only time you can enter or exit an HOV lane is at the area marked with the white lane markers. When traffic backs up in the regular lanes people will jump the double yellow and pull right out in front of you. Nothing is more scary than traveling at 60 mph and see someone from dead stop jump the yellows 100 ft in front of you. If they look at all they will never see a bike.

I was in the HOV lane and traffic was stopped in the regular lanes. Some fool decided to jump the yellows in front of me. ( He did not have 2 people in the car either. He had not right to be in the HOV lane in the first place.) He got half way over the yellows then stopped and moved back into his lane. I have to believe that he saw my HM!

As far as annoying other dirvers in front of me, I agree with Austennn 100% F'em. How annoyed am I going to be in the back of the ambulance on the way to the ER becasue some fool driving with his head up his azz did not bother to look to see me.

OK it's time for a ride..........WITH MY NEW HEADLIGHT MODULATOR!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I don't have a HM on my GW. I don't feel one way or the other about having one. I understand that when you are riding in a group that it can be annoying to the person in front of you.

One thing that the GW has going for it is the appearance of the headlights, even when on low beams. The dual low beams or the quad high beams are very distinctive to a driver of a car.

When I travel that HOV lane on the 91, I stay to the left of my lane and I keep an eye on the regular traffic. There are stupid people everywhere. Sometimes they are just trying to look at the traffic in front of them; sometimes they are looking to break the law. In a situation like that, I think it would be wise to run with the high beams on.

When the regular traffic is very slow or stopped, I lower my speed in the HOV lane so there is more capability to get out of their way. Just my way of being careful.

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
shuckaduck said:
Modulators are annoying, try riding in front of someone who has one. Tim
If you are too timid to ask them to turn it off when they are behind you then you have a problem or the person behind you is an inconsiderate group rider. For the past three years I have been the lead bike in our group rides. If someone in the group has their HM on or has their High Beams on, I always ask that they turn them off. Being the leader, I run with my HM on and turn it off/on depending on traffic situations. Just MHO

1 - 20 of 36 Posts