GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about the national monuments and parks. But there are thousands of other wonderful things to see. What are some of the "must see" attractions that you know about? For example the XXX Root Beer Drive inn in Issaquah, Washington, or the New River Gorge Bridge in Beckley, West Virginia.

·
15 year Member
6,998 Posts
Theres always Pedros "south of the border" Yes thise billboards work .... I haven't been down there in 10 years but cant get those images out of my head!!!!

Anywho.... The enterance to Yosemite Park has to be without a doubt the most "unusual " place to see , only because is does not look real..

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The Loveland Castle in Loveland Ohio is kind of unique, and attracts toursts that know about it. (especially folks going to Kings Island from out of town)

My grandfather lived just up the river, and was buddies with th man that built it. As a kid, I used to spend afternoons there as my grandfather would go there and visit often.

It was neat watching him make these bricks out of milk cartoons.

http://www.lovelandcastle.com/

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Jan,don't know if these are "must sees" but IMO are worthwhile stops if you're in the areas.
Wash,DC area:
1. Mt Vernon estate,home of George Washington. A good motorcycle ride along the Potomac river on the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
Parkway deadends @ the estate. Favorite time to ride it for me is a Sun. morning in the Springtime 6-7 A.M.. Not much traffic,good scenery.

2. Great Falls Park on the Potomac river. Accessible from either Md. or Va.,as 1 side is on Md the other in Va.. I'm partial to the VIRGINIA side myself. :lol: Wild rapids on the Potomac. A favorite of kayakers.

Virginia:
1. Natual Bridge,Va.,just So. of Lexington,Va. on RT. 11. Great motorcycling roads all thru this neighborhood.
2. Luray caverns,Luray,Va.. Good scenic roads,Luray is small quiet town to relax in. River rafters & outfiters are available here.
3. Jamestown,Va.. Take the FREE State run ferry to Jamestown on a clear day.

Maryland:
Eastern Shore. St. Micheals Island, Maritime musem. Chincotinque/Assateage(sp?) Islands. Lots of stuff to see over here.

Kentucky:
Louisville. Gotta go to the Louisville Slugger bat company.

Canon City,Co.. Skyline drive. A 6 mile roadway that is a must do.

Hanksville,Ut.. Goblin Valley state Park. You'll think you've landed on another planet.

Nevada. Ghost towns all over the State.
I coulda posted more,but these should keep y'all busy for awhile.
It's a BIG Country!! :D
the hobo

·
Registered
524 Posts
Jan

The New River Gorge Bridge is in Fayetteville,W.Va.
Not Beckley.
Don't forget to ride down to the old bridge crossing on both sides.
Nice drive. :D
Than run up to Pineville and stay at TwinFalls State Park.
You'll love those roads.
I use to work back in Beckley as a Lineman(C&P) and been all over those mountains.Great Places and People.

Dave

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Caves in Missouri and Surrounding
Lake of the Ozarks
Missouri is truly the cave state, with over 5,380 registered and mapped wild caves. 300 of the wild caves are in the counties of Camden, Miller, and Morgan which surround the Lake of the Ozarks.

Show Caves are wild caves that have been "tamed" through tremendous work and expense. Paved walkways, bridges and hand rails have been constructed and lights have been installed for the convenience of viewing nature's underground beauty with little effort and very safely. They are for the whole family, from small children to grandparents. No special clothing or equipment is necessary.
You Can't see these unless you get off the Wing Though!
Hazle

·
Registered
2,675 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
Isn't there a place in Ohio that is a huge basket?
Yes...It is quite a site to come around the bend and see the huge basket handles so high in the air. Don't realize how high it is till you get up close to it. If the Mrs likes baskets don't let her get off the bike in Dresden or it will cost you a fortune... :lol: :lol:

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Car Hinge in Alliance NE, this guy build a replica of Stone Hinge out of junk cars, cool....

Not sure where some of these are, but:
Cadalic Ranch, big ball of yarn somewhere, worlds largest rocking chair, Corn Palace in Mitchell SD, Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC, Silver Springs in FL, Tony Packo's in Toledo OH,

·
Registered
806 Posts
The Don Garlits "Drag Racing Hall of Fame" in Ogala Fla. is very interesting along with the thourgh bred horse farms in the area to get to it. Right in Jans back yard.

"Grotto of the Redemption" in West Bend Ia. is very interesting, if you are ever in the area. It's hand built by a priest with rocks from all over the world, featuring the Stations of the Cross amoung other religious themes.

In Fruita Col. just west of Grand Junction the "Colorado National Monument" is a must see ride. It's not advertised but the locals will put you on to it. Well worth the time to see it.

The "Arbuckle Mts." around Davis Oklahoma are very interesting along with the ride on top of "Rich Mountain" on Hwy 1. in the Quachita Mts in south east Oklahoma. I think it starts at Meha Arkansas.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Check out BIG BRUTUS in southeastern Kansas.......a HUGE scoop shovel used for strip mining!
You can go inside of the body of this machine & walk around, then climb to the top of the boom, ( if you are brave enough....its really high )!!!!!!

Not much else to see in that area though.

Mike

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This doesn't really qualify as a 'tourist attraction' since it's private property, but it would be an interesting place to grab a quick photo of the bike while riding through a beautiful part of Washington state. It's up near Discovery Bay. I haven't been there yet, but I plan on making the ride someday. Got these pics off the 'net.

I wouldn't mind living in that house. I'd love to see what the inside looks like.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
We all know about the national monuments and parks. But there are thousands of other wonderful things to see. What are some of the "must see" attractions that you know about? For example the XXX Root Beer Drive inn in Issaquah, Washington, or the New River Gorge Bridge in Beckley, West Virginia.
Whenever I plan a motorcycle trip, I go to Roadside America and research each city that I plan to go through. It will point out anything of interest in each town, many that you would never think to check out. Makes the photo journal much more interesting to look back on.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts