GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a lot of people post on here to ask if others have done mods or add ons and how they liked them.

I was just wondering if anyone made an modifications that they wish they had not made, or that they immediately removed, and why.

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mods

I bought my bike and didn't have time to add a Utopia backrest before I took my first long trip 6 days after I got the Wing. I bought a Kury-Akyn and although I liked the backrest very much it made getting on and off a Royal PITA. I'd rather fold the backrest forward and swing my leg over then try to hop-hop-hop to get on and off, and possibly scratch the tank paint. I hope my experience helps.

LDM

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I know that a lot of people post on here to ask if others have done mods or add ons and how they liked them.

I was just wondering if anyone made an modifications that they wish they had not made, or that they immediately removed, and why.

Thanks
Very good quetion. I cant wait to see what some folks say. For me there are two things. First is the trunk luggage rack. It was actually installed on the bike when I got it. I have been planning to remove it and plug the holes with bolts and rubber washers.

Second are the passenger arm rest. They do what they are intended for but I only put them on when my wife is going on a ride with me. Any other time they are hanging on the wall.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
items that didnt work out

heat troller brand controls for heated clothing, after 3 probelms, i just gave up, went with gerbings and its all been good since

mick o pegs, i tried them and i didnt like how they worked and didnt like the fact they were not very well made, and had cheesy plastic footpegs on the end

ed sets, i heard all this about them, and lets just say they werent all that, also didnt like the dangley cord hanging out the back, returned them and got j and m elites clampless , what a difference

the golf bag that fits into the trailer hitch receiver, the wind blew my bike all over on the interstate, also the waterproof claim of theirs, isnt true, they did offer a nice return policy

hid light kit, they buzzed all the time on my cb and stereo,and yes filters were mounted correctly, they were installed at ec, by lewis, plus even though they were very bright, i could not see any better at night

so yes i have had some clankers

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Luggage rack. Drilled the holes, put it on and a few months later it rusted at all the welds. They don't exactly enhance the looks of the bike and the weight limit is so low that it was useless. Pulled it off and filled the holes with black plastic fender washers.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I never got the spoiler fever and after 6 years I'm happy I didn't install one.

Some of the chrome could be left off and I wouldn't miss it.

I experimented with a couple seat cushions, but that's about it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Kuryakyn grip covers. I have heated grips and the heat would not come through enough to feel it through light gloves. Took them off after 3 months and put on Grip Puppies. Love the Grip Puppies.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I didn't add the spoiler or the rack and I'm glad I didn't spend the money. On the other hand other riders I am sure, like them both.

I installed the Mic-O-pegs D and since they are mounted to the horizontal bars I touched them down more than once. This could have lifted the front wheel. I e-mailed Jim Mick and he replaced the bars with the CQ that mount to the Vertical bars. (minor upgrade fee) I like the CQ's much better from a comfort standpoint as well. Mick-O-Pegs are great!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kuryakyn grip covers. I have heated grips and the heat would not come through enough to feel it through light gloves. Took them off after 3 months and put on Grip Puppies. Love the Grip Puppies.

Ditto - Had mine a while longer but they are not missed one bit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitely the luggage rack. I installed it myself and it looks nice, but it is virtually useless. The load limit is impossibly low. An empty bag (if you can find one to fit it) and a couple of bungees will put you at the load limit.

I'm eventually going to replace the trunk lid because I don't want hole remnants unless I can find a way to repair the plastic.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I had a trunk rack on all my bikes, and used it all the time when I rode 2 up, never a problem with cracks of the trunk lid of peeling of the chrome of the rack. I had one on my 02 but my wife doesn't ride anymore so I'm not putting one on my 08, I have the spoiler instead, I like the extra brake light on the spoiler.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Add-on heal/toe shifter. Shifter alone, not the shifter/floorboard combo. Didn't fit my boot right, and made it hard to tell when shift was made.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepare ship for Ludicrous speed---Dark Helmit

·
Registered
643 Posts
As much as I like they way they look don't spend the money on the Show Chrome LED Lighted Side Chrome Accent lights. I have had nothing but problems with them. Even replaced the LED strips a couple of times they just don't last.

Another problem with the Opera lights on my second set there also.

The LED bling has been about the only real problem so far with my bike. I thought the LED's should last longer than they have...so much for workmanship:shrug:.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Had some "art work" done on the front lower cowl and exhaust covers. Guy wasn't much of an artist. Guess I shouldn't have even paid for them, but I needed them back at the time. Looks awful and I plan to just paint them out black when I get a chance. Maybe try the airbrush myself next time.

I didn't like the RAM mount for my 2730, and took it off for a Garmin mount.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Woodgrain dash kit....It was ok for the first 5 yrs , but has gone downhill ever since...Trying to remove it a little at a time and I have replaced some of the pieces with the help of Ebay .:-(

·
Registered
355 Posts
addons

Added the Kurakyn arm rest for the wifey. She tried them for the first time today and doesn;t like them. They are too far forward and do not appear to have any adjustments. I may end up taking them off. I am going to give them a few more rides to get the final results.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had installed the Kury floorboards and heeltoe shifter and being 6ft 5 inches tall they raised my knees to the point where in tight slow maneuvers they hit handlebar ends plus made it nearly impossible to shift gears. Off they came the next day and traded back for ring of fire.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The only product that I removed (once installed) was a trunk lid organizer. Nice idea but you loose too much storage capability. I could no longer put my open face helmet in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts