GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were heading home from a great 3 days riding in Southern WI when (on a two lane road) I hear the roar of two HDs. I looked in my mirror as they flew by me prob 15 mph faster than we were going. Thing was they used my lane to pass. I happened to be riding twards the outside of the lane. Is that common? It got me thinking about what "perhaps unwritten" rules there are while group riding. I realize I should have been paying more attention to my mirrors..............still.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If you motion me to do so I will.

Otherwise I will treat you just like a car and pass when safe.

·
Registered
654 Posts
In Va a pass like that would be illegal. Although I've had motorcops do it to me here so not sure how much they would enforce it.

·
Banned
350 Posts
In CA that pass is legal (as lane sharing is legal) but probably not safe, I would not pass you in your lane unless you indicated I should or you were moving very slowly

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was me ,they would never pass me..;)
Thats kinda my nature too:agree:

My question was also about safety when riding in groups. We've never ridden with others. I've seen 2 by 2, staggered, seem many stop ann go together from stop signs. Just figured there were do's and don't when riding in groups.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
No they never should have passed you in your lane.......

As for group riding.... at least in Maryland. Stagger as per Maryland Motor Vehicle hand book.

Riders in groups should be staggered.

1st bike, Left wheel track
2nd bike, Right wheel track one second behind first same lane
3rd bike, Left wheel track 2 seconds behind first bike, one second behind second bike
4th bike, Right wheel track, 2 seconds behind 2nd bike, one second behind 3rd bike
and so on........

So you should always be 2 seconds behind the bike in front of you, and one second behind the bike in the other wheel track.

Keeping in mind this is only when the road and lanes are wide enough and straight enough for safe staggered riding.

Smaller tighter roads should be single file for safety's sake....

You would NOT pass the bike in front of you in this formation. The formation might tighten up when stopped but should roll out in staggered formation not all at once.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My wife and I were heading home from a great 3 days riding in Southern WI when (on a two lane road) I hear the roar of two HDs. I looked in my mirror as they flew by me prob 15 mph faster than we were going. Thing was they used my lane to pass. I happened to be riding twards the outside of the lane. Is that common? It got me thinking about what "perhaps unwritten" rules there are while group riding. I realize I should have been paying more attention to my mirrors..............still.
There's no cure for stupid! :wrong:

Tim

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would wait for you to motion for me to pass and if that didn't happen, I would fall into group riding formation with you until we parted ways ( it's always fun making new friends).

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
One should be riding in the left wheel track ( left center of you lane).
Of course then the idiots will pass you in the right side of your lane:shrug:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am not going to pass another motorcycle unless I am SURE he sees me. I have had friends in my riding group pass me in the same lane on the left and right and it scares me. Not only did I not see them, but what if I was going to move over in my lane?? If I am riding behind another motorcycle, I give them plenty of space 2 or more seconds. I tend to move around in my lane and I don't want to have to worry about another rider crowding me. Same goes when I ride my atv's, don't ride too close to me, I may need to break suddenly and I don't want to get hit from behind.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
just throw open your door...that will get their attention.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I ditto others who would not pass in your lane unless motioned to do so.

Riding in groups varies. Each group has it's own rules. if you get yourself into a group ride, talk it over with them before heading out. That's the only way to know how that group rides.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Not one but Two Harley's passing a 1800.Man that is the funniest dam thing I have read all week.

Surely the wing was parked.That's the only way this makes sense.
I looked in my mirror as they flew by me prob 15 mph faster than we were going

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
Just can't be sure what people will do. This reminds me of an incident I witnessed a couple of weeks ago.

We have a highway that goes immediatly to a passing lane after going through a stop light. It is a rural uphill passing lane with a paved shoulder. A cage was in the right lane traveling at about the speed limit with two motorcycles behind it riding side by side. They decide to pass one on the left using the passing lane, and the other taking the right shoulder to go around. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not one but Two Harley's passing a 1800.Man that is the funniest dam thing I have read all week.

Surely the wing was parked.That's the only way this makes sense.
If EVER 2 HD's FLY BY ME anytime, i'll NEVER admit it, either in private or on a public forum,:roll::eek:
good luck to you,
the hobo

1 - 20 of 42 Posts