GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have and use a Garmin 2610 for my 2003 Goldwing. I have the device harness, power harness,single set and intercom harness. If I purchase a 2820, can I just connect it like the 2610 and have everything work? Are the sizes the same? Thanks for any information.

John

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yes, it would function just like your 2610 does now (at least as far as the voice prompts and mounting goes).

The voice prompts sent over the power/audio connector are switched off if you plug a cable into the stereo output jack on the side of the unit. You'll need to add a couple of Kennedy parts if you want to connect the mic signal from the intercom to the 2820's mic input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon,
Thanks for replying so quickly. If I wanted to use the MP3 function of the 2820, would I need anything else? At this point I won't be using any of the other features except the GPS and MP3 player. Thanks again.

John

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
If you want to use the MP3 player output, you'll want to install a GLI filter and an extension cable to reach your current installation position. In this arrangement, you'll only get the GPS audio when the AUX input is selected (the unit disables the audio output to the power/audio connector when it detects a stereo cable plugged into the unit).

You can shoot me an e-mail if you want some part options and pricing...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jon:
So on the 2820 - if the voice prompts and MP3 are coming thru the AUX and then I want to listen to FM, I have to unplug the AUX cable from the GPS which would temporarily route the voice prompts thru the intercom and let me choose FM1 or FM2 or even WB?

Is there some electrical hookup thing that will make the intercom dedicated to the voice prompts? Or is the unplug method the only way?

I want the voice prompts to come thru the intercom so that when I hit the transmit button on the CB everyone in the group can hear it. The CB won't transmit the AUX audio. But I also want the music to be AUX for the stereo sound quality.

Are the 378/478 and 2730 the same way?

Rick

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
RickM said:
Jon:
So on the 2820 - if the voice prompts and MP3 are coming thru the AUX and then I want to listen to FM, I have to unplug the AUX cable from the GPS which would temporarily route the voice prompts thru the intercom and let me choose FM1 or FM2 or even WB?
Correct - assuming you've got the 2820 cellset module... All of the audio output will be routed over the intercom connection, not just the voice prompts.

Is there some electrical hookup thing that will make the intercom dedicated to the voice prompts? Or is the unplug method the only way?
No, Garmin doesn't provide a dedicated voice-only output. When it detects a cable plugged into the headphone jack, all audio goes there.

I want the voice prompts to come thru the intercom so that when I hit the transmit button on the CB everyone in the group can hear it. The CB won't transmit the AUX audio. But I also want the music to be AUX for the stereo sound quality.
Sounds like you'll have to get used to unplugging that cable...

Are the 378/478 and 2730 the same way?
I haven't tested these units yet, but I would expect them to operate the same way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts