GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I now have 6,500 miles on the 70 series Z rated tires on my Wing.

They are Z rated Stones that are sold for the VTX1800C on HDL site.

The rear tire has 1/32 left before I hit the wear bar. The front tire has 3/32 left before the wear bar. I would say I will change out the rear in 1,000 miles for total of 7,500 miles. On the front tire I will make the call on changing it out then.

I do most of my riding in the mountains of NE Tennessee, Western NC and Southwest VA.

The Z-70 Stones have 7/32 tread on them when new. Where most other MC tires have 9/32.

This is the second set of 70 series tires on my Wing. The first set was Metzs. I got 8,700 miles out of them.

I have a new set of Z-70 series Stones ready to mount again. When HDL has a 10% off sale you can get the Z-70 Stones for $212 for both front and rear.

I see no reason to go back to the 60 series tires on the Wing.

40ford
:drive1:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Your opinion, your money, your life.

Have fun!! 8)

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Less than 9,000 miles on a set of tires either indicates you ride fairly hard, underinflate them or they are a softer compound compared to others. I ran multiple sets of both OEM Dunlops and aftermarket Avons on my Valkyrie's and Wing and got between 12,000-14,000 (a bit less on the Valks than the Wing but then the Valk was a hot rod). And AZ is supposed to have very course asphalt in comparison to other states.

·
Registered
17,041 Posts
40Ford;

Thanks for the report. That milage is pretty similar to what I got with regular B-stones, but our sea-salt 'n flatlanger pards may figure different. I've used the Avon VTX1800C fitment on the GL1800 for quite some time and have no complaints A-tall and get even a bit better milage than the OE B-stones.

prs

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
When I run motorcycle tires on the Wing, I always run the 180/70 size. Better handling, better ride, lower RPM !! I know it changes the handling a bit, but for me it is in the positive direction.. It reduces the top end from 131 MPH to 126 MPH and of course it reduces my quarter mile times a bit.

I also like a 195/55 winter sport car tire on the bike even better :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
40 Ford - you are running about the same as I am with the 850/851s. Mine will last to about the 9500/10000 mile mark, but our roads are quite a bit slower along the coast. I did marginally better with the ME880 VTX 70 series tires, and quite a bit better with the ME880 60 series wing tires for mileage, but prefer the handling I am getting out the 70s.

Cost per mile is about a push - the 850 series are cheaper, do not last as long, but stick better, ride better, are smoother, more road clearance, and I just like the ride a whole lot better. They have a higher load rating and higher speed rating than the wing tires, also.

Next set is another pair of 850/851s that I have squirreled away in the garage. See no reason ever to go back to a 60 series. My bike. My life. I value them both.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
40ford said:
I do most of my riding in the mountains of NE Tennessee, Western NC and Southwest VA.
I could never get much more out of my Dunlops. Switched to Metzlers and get closer to 12K. Riding this area explains it. If'n you was a flatlander, you prolly would want ta keep on usin' them fatter tars. These kind of low mileage reports of hard mountain riding are why I've never been interested in the 70 series. But I sure would like the added height and speedo correction they give.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
I wish I knew you guys secret to gettin that kinda mileage outta them. I have had two 70 series. First was the stone 850 and in 4800 miles it was as slick as KA7W's head. LOL. Second is the Avon I have on now. It got 6500 on it, might get another 3 or 4 hundred out of it, but basically it is toast. I really do like the way they ride and handle, but sheesh.....

·
Registered
991 Posts
I like the Stones 70 series, too. I think they 'pogo' more than the 60s, but, they are better all 'round. I run 40/40 psi.

I'll get another set of 70s when these are gone. I'm running VTX1800 rear tire from HDL (our sponsor).

Don't think I'll ever go back to 60s.

BAGGER

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
galute

Come on, that's not fair, when you asked to touch my head and you promised you would never tell anyone... Just can't trust anyone these days !! I hope you don't let the rest of it out !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
369 Posts
new darksider

hi ka how do i get my darkside number ? puttin my dunlop run flat on today max :twisted:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
mitymax1

Nanda passes out the numbers, he can do it for you. Just call 1 -800 NANDO and he will do it...

Nando, give him a Darksider number

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I'm still planning on trying the 70 series rear Bridgestone in lieu of my chosen best of breed G704 rear 60 series tire as soon as I use up my stock pile, but I can't see any advantages to changing and going away from the G709 front tire that is made for the GL1800 as it pretty consistently gets me over 15,000 miles of virtually trouble free - cupping free mileage with rather aggressive riding on Northern California's best of motorcycle roads. Even the G704 is always good for pretty consistent 11,000 to 12,000 miles on any kind of road and does an amazing good job (as in no slipping or loss of traction) on wet pavement (unlike those Dunlop round things). I have good friends raving about the 70 series rear Stone, but my desire, aside from a good dependable high traction quiet and smooth riding tire, is more than the normal 11 - 12,000 miles not thousands less. If the 70 series can't do better in most every way, then I may have to go back to a pretty consistent no surprises G704.

Time (and a lot of miles) will tell,

DaleC

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Aw come on Tom, you know I would never let the secret out about the Honda polish. :lol:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
galute

How old is that little guy on the gas tank now ?? You even look young in that picture so I know it is an old picture LOL

Yep, you let it out, I knew you couldn't keep that a secret... Still using it and the city still uses me at night at the airport !!

JMHO 8)

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Tom, the little guy is now 6. He was a little less than two when the pic was taken almost 5 years ago. That was just before I got my wing. Damn! See what this old mans bike is doing to me? LOL

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Galute
Why do you wear tires more, are your rims straight? roads? pack a lot?

EVERYONE, HOW BOUT 200s
Has anyone had any luck the a 200 motto rear tire?...more footing?...fitting on the OEM rim?

You guys are making me think about trying the 70 again...I thought the 850 had an excellent grip...I just never wanted to be that high on the rear...I get the feeling the lower the rear the better grounding I get on freeway speeds...

What psi do you guys run on the 70 besides 40psi?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nando-Tire pressure answer

I run 42psi in the Z-70 Stones front and rear

40ford
:drive1:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
44 in all of my 70's ,, 40 in my last car tire :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
What da heck is a Z-70? Who makes that? what does it look like?...is that supposed to give you better grip? does it grip better in rain?...If it does, I am all ears....and does it keep your jacket dry? Cause I have been coming back home soaked...damn monson again over here!

200? not a soul has tried a 200?

TOM,
I know you are a sneaker expert...could it possibly be you have not tried a 200 yet?...know anyone who has?...
On another note: I thought you were fed up with airplanes already? You are already riding on a Wing, ah?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts