GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 DCT tour with CB. I purchased the Sierra Electronic antenna splitter and Farka connector to use the CB antenna as a radio antenna as well. Finally got Farka plug in this last week and was able to try the reception out yesterday. Having an external antenna added approximately 30 miles to the range that I am able to pick up my local stations. I rode 2 weekends ago and made note of where I lost reception of one of my local stations. Rode yesterday, and started my trip meter at that point and was right at 30 miles when I lost reception. There has been no degradation to the CB reception or transmission either as I rode with a friend who has a Ultra Classic,( yes, my Harley friends still ride with me..hahaha), and we separated by approximately a mile if not more, and still had loud and clear communitcation.
Jimmy in Texarkana, USA

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I find my FM reception is about the same as my 2003 was with its whip antenna...AM was/is very poor with both models...really miss the weather band that my 2003 had. I used that weather band quite a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't listen to the FM band much anymore either, but I sure would like to be able to if I wanted to. For Honda's flagship motorcycle, I would have expected an internal antenna maybe in the fairing to ensure adequate reception. I considered splicing in a long wire full-wave antenna to my existing connector, but decided against it for now. I definitely wouldn't want a whip antenna like Harley's still have. They get in the way too much.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
The antenna is located in the top of the right saddle bag. That's about as close to it being in a fairing as I guess they could get.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read a post where some one bought a flexable wire marine antenna and routed it up to, and into the back of the passenger back rest which gave them some better reception as it is higher than the stock location. As I already had the CB antenna, I figured it was worth a shot to try and get better reception. For the small amount of money for the splitter and the farka plug, I am happy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have tried the flexable wire marine antenna and it did not result in improvement for me. The FM reception on this bike is the worst I've ever seen.
@jimmydsmith7: Does the splitter change the SWR of your CB? No degradation in transmit or receive?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have read a post where some one bought a flexable wire marine antenna and routed it up to, and into the back of the passenger back rest which gave them some better reception as it is higher than the stock location.
Yep, that's what I did and it improved reception drastically. It's now as good as my Road Glide Ultra got with it's whip antenna, so I'm happy.

I'm actually going to make a video about the upgrade for my motovlog channel soon. It's a pretty simple process to do it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No change in SWR reading after splitter install. I checked prior to install and after just to make sure. I think channel 1 had a reading of 1.8 and channel 40 was right at 2 with or without the splitter if I remember correctly. I figured that was good enough for my purpose.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 2020 DCT tour with CB. I purchased the Sierra Electronic antenna splitter and Farka connector to use the CB antenna as a radio antenna as well. Finally got Farka plug in this last week and was able to try the reception out yesterday. Having an external antenna added approximately 30 miles to the range that I am able to pick up my local stations. I rode 2 weekends ago and made note of where I lost reception of one of my local stations. Rode yesterday, and started my trip meter at that point and was right at 30 miles when I lost reception. There has been no degradation to the CB reception or transmission either as I rode with a friend who has a Ultra Classic,( yes, my Harley friends still ride with me..hahaha), and we separated by approximately a mile if not more, and still had loud and clear communitcation.
Jimmy in Texarkana, USA
What's involved in installing the CB antenna splitter? Do you have to access the CB unit or are all the connections accessible under the seat?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will have to remove the cover to the CB unit in the right saddlebag.You will also have to drill a hole in the top of the saddlebag for the radio antenna wire from the splitter to exit the saddlebag. There are several videos showing you how to remove the saddlebag top cover, I have Fred H's videos, but there is a free one on Max Mcallisters site, ( Traxxion Dynamics). I had a rubber plug from my 05 GW that i used to make the hole watertight. You will have to remove your seat and unplug the factory radio farka connector from the unit. You will have to order the farka plug that has the DIN female end for the antenna to plug into. You will unplug the CB antenna from the CB unit and plug that into the splitter. The splitter then plugs into the CB unit. There is also a antenna wire coming from the splitter ( this is the radio antenna wire now), you plug that into the end of the farka connector that has the female DIN, then plug the farka into the control unit.
So, you have the CB antenna cable from the external antenna coming into the splitter, CB antenna cable coming out of the splitter going to the CB unit, and radio antenna cable coming out of the splitter going to the control unit connected by the farka plug. I just tucked the stock farka plug under the wires there just incase I wanted to go back to using the stock antenna.
I reinstalled the CB unit cover and used 3M auto trim double sided tape to tape the splitter to the saddlebag wall,up and out of the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts