GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little update on Café racer build. Been awhile since working on the bike, life just gets in the way sometimes.

So here we go The gas tank is clean .....rust free with no liner what so ever. We are going to weld a plug to the old petcock hole and re locate it. New Mikuni carbs are in the way.

Engine rebuild is started.........so far everything looking surprising good for a 42 year old engine. Someone really took care of this motor.
Picture time,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pictures. We will be tearing into the bottom next week.

Lee

Attachments

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Wonder "what kind of oil" was used? >:)>:)>:) :joke:

Just pulling your chain a bit, Lee. :agree: the internals do not look bad for 42 years. You will have to ride that "bad boy" to the Dells! :wink2:

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to manual Murf the oil is to be changed every 1500 miles and clean oil screen, no filter just a oil slinger.:surprise: Internal do look good and top end looks great. They do have some problems with oil starvation to the top end on some of these motors. I think because people don't change oil enough and clean screen.

Cams and cam followers look good too. It is a torsion bar valve system no springs and tight tolerances.

Lee

Attachments

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Wow just looking at the pictures Lee, that is pretty amazing. Things look very good. If the bottom looks as good as the top you are in business. Just wondering how many miles were on that bike? I think you mentioned it somewhere before, but I don't remember. I had a dream one night about riding of those through the Grand Canyon.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
I remember coming home on leave in May of 72 and there was a group of guys in town who thought they were the Droogs. (not sure if that is right) Had to do with a movie that had come out a few months earlier.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Well Lee, anymore updates?

Reactions: murf and cycledude

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Not to much George. Just sanding cooling fins and prep heads and jugs to machine and paint.

Lee
It's a good thing you are not retired. You wouldn't be able to get anything done. Keep up the good work buddy. See you soon. Roads gotta get better soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts