GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my 6369 mile cross country odessey. We spent 3 days in the hill country riding your fantastic roads. Wish we could have stayed one more but my buddys bike had a part failure and we had to go to Albuquerque to get it fixed. None of the Honda dealers within 300 miles of Kerrville had the part or could get it within a week. BTW I want to put a plug in for the Yamaha/Suzuki dealer in Kerrville for all his help. He came and picked up the broke wing at a local gas station and took it to his shop and figured out what was wrong with it. Made a bunch of calls trying to find the part. Called the Honda shop in Albuquerque and made an appointment for us to get the part installed on Friday morning (this was Wednesday). Only charged us $45 for his effort. The service manager rides an 08 GW himself and a really great guy. We stayed at the city park and campground in Fredricksburg. It was a pretty nice place for a couple of nights to camp. You guys that live in the area are blessed with some really great MC roads. We wished we could have brought some of them back with us. We saw the adopt-a-hiway signs. Is that how it works? I will trade ya'll two for one of our Florida roads for yours. We did two of the three sisters but it was getting dark so we passed on the last. We will get to it next time.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Just curious. What was so broken that the Texas Honda dealers couldn't fix but the one in N.M. could?

(And you are right about the Hill country. God DID bless Texas!)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I go just about every weekend and try a new route even if it's out of my way. My most recent find, which I can't believe I have been missing, is 16 between Kerrville and Medina.
I'm surprised the three dealerships I know of (New Braunfels, JHMS and Alamo) didn't have what you needed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My most recent find, which I can't believe I have been missing, is 16 between Kerrville and Medina.
That's a great stretch of road. I hit it everytime I'm in the area. When the SO & I go there for a weekend, we stay the first nite in Fredericksburg and 2nd nite in Bandera. And, I also want to know what was broke that a Texas Dealer couldn't fix...:shrug:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I JUST rode 16 between Kerrville and Bandera Saturday for the first time. I need to go back when I have more time to do the 335,6,7 roads!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know they have Fedex everywhere! Hell I probably have the darn part in my garage.:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious. What was so broken that the Texas Honda dealers couldn't fix but the one in N.M. could?
In answer to the question about what parts was needed? The starter stayed engaged and turning even after the bike started. The only way you could stop it was to disconnect the battery. It turnned out to be two starter selinoids under the seat. They work in conjunction with one another. One is for reversing the starter motor and one is for normal starting. If either one fails this happens. None of the dealers in Texas had one. Bike Bandit, HDL or any of the parts places had them either. The best any of the Texas dealers came up with was 5 working days. We were headed to NM anyway so the Albuquerque dealer said he could have one by Friday. It was overnighted from Honda in California. It seems the Honda dealers around the Kerrville area only want to sell and work on 4 wheelers. They told the service manager at Yamaha/Suzuki that they had never seen this before and did not know what it could be. The Yamaha mech. traced down the probable cause by looking at a wiring schematic for the starting system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i want to second this comment

. BTW I want to put a plug in for the Yamaha/Suzuki dealer in Kerrville for all his help. quote]

I'm from Houston and had problems on a weekend ride and my bike got hauled to him. Very up front and helpful; also very fair on the prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts