GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Fellow Gold Wing Riders. My bike was in the shop and they put over 300 miles test driving my new bike. They said that they could not repeat the problems I am having with the bike not shifting into drive. Honda had the shop reflash the software. This did change the shift points and the bike shifts harder than it did. But the problems did not go away. Honda says that no DCT has ever had this kind of problem. I was treated as if I was making the problem up. It is clear to me they don’t have a clue what to do. The dealership really tried to help after we had a strong discussion. They hinted that I just might not know how to push the @#$%^ button. Well I got my first street legal bike at the age of 14 and I am now 61. I have worked on my own bikes and cars all my life. I do know how to read and push [email protected]#$%^ Button.
I have experienced the same not shifting at least 15 times once we got the bike back. I have not had a episode of it taking 45 min to get into gear like happen that caused my wife and I to be stuck 65 miles from no where and cut our birthday trip short and come home.
I am trying to upload one of my videos to youtube of the bike not shifting. We were stuck 3 different times yesterday. Lucky it was only about three min until it went into gear and I rode the 150 miles non stop home.I love my bike, but when it leave my Wife and I stuck somewhere. HONDA needs to fix my bike or replace it quick.
Youtube link

·
Registered
80 Posts
So sorry to read your troubles. Make sure your dealer knows about and sees this video. Also, ask your dealer to give you the name and phone number to contact Honda customer relations. Then give them this video link too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That has to be so frustrating! Is it just a coincidence this time that it went into drive after rolling it back and forth? Not sure why that would make a difference and it probably doesn’t but I didn’t see you do anything different than that.
Sorry you continue to have problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmmm, Looks like after you rolled the bike back then forward and then it went in to gear?
Maybe has something to do with it?
Good luck & keep us posted.

Reactions: thebroz

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That has to be so frustrating! Is it just a coincidence this time that it went into drive after rolling it back and forth? Not sure why that would make a difference and it probably doesn’t but I didn’t see you do anything different than that.
Sorry you continue to have problems.
Yes that rolling was just a chance. I have tried that before and it did not work. Killing it and rebooting the bike sometimes it shifts and then some times it don't. It does it sometimes when the bike is cold but more when it is hot. There is not one thing I can do to make it happen or to make it shift. Like Honda I just don't know. But after the 4th we are going to have a long talk. It is time for them to fix or replace the bike. If you watch close it shifted on the second push of the d after rolling the bike.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am no diagnostician, but I would TRY engaging Drive WHILE HOLDING THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER FIRMLY to see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help the bike engage Drive, wouldn't the next simplest explanation be the Drive/Neutral switch is faulty? I suspect (and hope) your issue is a relatively simple glitch and hope it's diagnosed and remedied quickly.

Tim

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Max, instead of "riding over 300 miles", I would be more impressed if the dealer had said they stopped and re-started it over 300 times since that seems to be the problem.

As for implying that you don't know how to push a button, I'm sorry you have to endure this b*ll sh*t with a brand new and very expensive motorcycle.

I guess I don't have the patience that you and others seem to have regarding problems with this motorcycle.

I just want to enjoy riding with my wife for whatever time I have left. If it were me, I'd probably conclude that "I tried the DCT and it sucks". I would trade it for something else, make the best deal I could and move on. Good luck.

NOTE: To anyone else on this forum who is satisfied with their DCT, I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come. My comments do not apply to you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am no diagnostician, but I would TRY engaging Drive WHILE HOLDING THE FRONT BRAKE LEVER FIRMLY to see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help the bike engage Drive, wouldn't the next simplest explanation be the Drive/Neutral switch is faulty? I suspect (and hope) your issue is a relatively simple glitch and hope it's diagnosed and remedied quickly.

Tim
I have tried holding the front brake in and that did not work. I put the bike in walking mode and walked it forward and reverse, did not work. I have pushed the bike across the parking lot. I have turned the bike off and restarted it. I have disconnected the battery and waited 5 min and then reconnected it. Part of my discussion with the dealer was to replace the switch for neutral and drive. I was told that Honda said that they have never had a failure of these switches and therefore that was not the problem. I have started to ride my 11 year old Kawasaki 1600 Nomad more. That fixes my drive problem. It is not the same caliber of bike but it does work every time.
Thanks for all the help and ideals.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have tried holding the front brake in and that did not work. I put the bike in walking mode and walked it forward and reverse, did not work. I have pushed the bike across the parking lot. I have turned the bike off and restarted it. I have disconnected the battery and waited 5 min and then reconnected it. Part of my discussion with the dealer was to replace the switch for neutral and drive. I was told that Honda said that they have never had a failure of these switches and therefore that was not the problem. I have started to ride my 11 year old Kawasaki 1600 Nomad more. That fixes my drive problem. It is not the same caliber of bike but it does work every time.
I rode a 2007 Kawi Nomad everyday for 3 years. Low tech. Simple. Worked "every time". Wish I had kept it. Good luck with the Wing.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Max, instead of "riding over 300 miles", I would be more impressed if the dealer had said they stopped and re-started it over 300 times since that seems to be the problem.

As for implying that you don't know how to push a button, I'm sorry you have to endure this b*ll sh*t with a brand new and very expensive motorcycle.

I guess I don't have the patience that you and others seem to have regarding problems with this motorcycle.

I just want to enjoy riding with my wife for whatever time I have left. If it were me, I'd probably conclude that "I tried the DCT and it sucks". I would trade it for something else, make the best deal I could and move on. Good luck.

NOTE: To anyone else on this forum who is satisfied with their DCT, I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come. My comments do not apply to you.
Because of one problem one person has experienced? bwahahahaha youre funny. what year is your wing? lets do a search and see if there were any problems associated with it, on a mass scale, not one offs.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts

Tim

The DCT will shift from N to D and D to N regardless if the front brake lever is applied or not. The following are the requirements for shifting from N to D:

1. Motorcycle is stopped and the engine is idling.

2. The throttle is completely closed. The bike will not shift from N to D with the throttle applied.

3. You cannot change from N to D while the wheels are rotating.

4. The sidestand must be up.

The troubleshooting guide in the service manual lists the neutral switch being stuck "on" as one of the possible causes.

:doorag:

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts

Ok, are you saying the forward and rear walking speed modes did not work? If that is true, it points to the neutral switch being stuck on, neutral switch or its circuit malfunction, or a faulty TCM.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, are you saying the forward and rear walking speed modes did not work? If that is true, it points to the neutral switch being stuck on, neutral switch or its circuit malfunction, or a faulty TCM.

The bike will go into walking mode and move forward and reverse. But will not shift into drive after I did that. When working all modes work. When in drive, she drives and shifts flawlessly. The only failure is not shifting into drive with the motor running, kick stand up showing N on the dash, sometimes when cold and sometimes when hot.
The service manager took my bike home over the weekend and said he rode it with no problems. I don't know if I believe him totally because he said he thought that gloves might have gotten in his way once. (I don't use gloves) He said the button had a sweet spot? I told him that we should change it then, Honda said no N/D button has ever failed on the new Gold Wing.. I have pushed the button everyway you can, BS. He said that I needed to wait until the startup screen was complete before trying to shift. Done that too. It sounds to me like he had at least 3 times he had trouble(gloves, sweet spot and boot screen) SOOOO I'm saying Now What. I am going to take it back after the 4th, Short week this week and it will just set in their shop over the holiday. I ride my old bike and pay interest on a bike that might go and might not.
Thanks again to everyone..

·
Registered
794 Posts
The bike will go into walking mode and move forward and reverse. But will not shift into drive after I did that. When working all modes work. When in drive, she drives and shifts flawlessly. The only failure is not shifting into drive with the motor running, kick stand up showing N on the dash, sometimes when cold and sometimes when hot.
The service manager took my bike home over the weekend and said he rode it with no problems. I don't know if I believe him totally because he said he thought that gloves might have gotten in his way once. (I don't use gloves) He said the button had a sweet spot? I told him that we should change it then, Honda said no N/D button has ever failed on the new Gold Wing.. I have pushed the button everyway you can, BS. He said that I needed to wait until the startup screen was complete before trying to shift. Done that too. It sounds to me like he had at least 3 times he had trouble(gloves, sweet spot and boot screen) SOOOO I'm saying Now What. I am going to take it back after the 4th, Short week this week and it will just set in their shop over the holiday. I ride my old bike and pay interest on a bike that might go and might not.
Thanks again to everyone..
Hmmmmmmmm......contact your State Attorney General's office? Sounds like the dealer is jerking you around.

:wrong:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Because of one problem one person has experienced? bwahahahaha youre funny. what year is your wing? lets do a search and see if there were any problems associated with it, on a mass scale, not one offs.
Sorry. I did not mean to get you worked up. I tried to word my post very carefully, so that it was clear that I was describing how I would react if I were in his situation. I'm not saying that my thinking is right for everyone.

I should have sent Max a PM. My mistake.

I stipulated in my post that I have no patience to do what you guys are recommending. Don't want to rock my motorcycle "back and forth". Don't want to turn the bike off hold the dial for 2 seconds and then study the dash to make sure everything is shutdown. I don't even want to "contact Honda customer service". Just saying that Max has already done all that I would be willing to do.

Life is short and I really don't want to spend whatever time I have left fighting a battle with Honda.

As I said, I made a mistake. I should have sent Max a PM. I'm out.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Based on the way it suddenly worked after rolling it, I'd be inclined to think it may be a malfunction of one of the internal sensors in the transmission for the inner or outer mainshafts or possibly the shift spindle angle sensor. I'd also want to insure that the sidestand switch was functioning properly as well as the Drive/Neutral switch and its associated resistor divider network. The D/N and A/M switch uses a single wire to perform multiple functions via a resistor network, and a voltage problem or resistance in the contacts could make it act up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry. I did not mean to get you worked up. I tried to word my post very carefully, so that it was clear that I was describing how I would react if I were in his situation. I'm not saying that my thinking is right for everyone.

I should have sent Max a PM. My mistake.

I stipulated in my post that I have no patience to do what you guys are recommending. Don't want to rock my motorcycle "back and forth". Don't want to turn the bike off hold the dial for 2 seconds and then study the dash to make sure everything is shutdown. I don't even want to "contact Honda customer service". Just saying that Max has already done all that I would be willing to do.

Life is short and I really don't want to spend whatever time I have left fighting a battle with Honda.

As I said, I made a mistake. I should have sent Max a PM. I'm out.
Thanks Steel I am nearing the end of my rope on this deal.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The DCT will shift from N to D and D to N regardless if the front brake lever is applied or not. The following are the requirements for shifting from N to D:

1. Motorcycle is stopped and the engine is idling.

2. The throttle is completely closed. The bike will not shift from N to D with the throttle applied.

3. You cannot change from N to D while the wheels are rotating.

4. The sidestand must be up.

The troubleshooting guide in the service manual lists the neutral switch being stuck "on" as one of the possible causes.

Yes, I am well aware of these prerequisites.

I was merely offering a possible way to test/eliminate another possible cause to the intermittent issue.

Tim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Based on the way it suddenly worked after rolling it, I'd be inclined to think it may be a malfunction of one of the internal sensors in the transmission for the inner or outer mainshafts or possibly the shift spindle angle sensor. I'd also want to insure that the sidestand switch was functioning properly as well as the Drive/Neutral switch and its associated resistor divider network. The D/N and A/M switch uses a single wire to perform multiple functions via a resistor network, and a voltage problem or resistance in the contacts could make it act up.
It shifted into drive on the second push of N/D after moving the bike. That was the first time it has ever shifted after pushing the bike forward and reverse. I have tried that before and it did not work. I thought I would try everything on this video. Early in the video I put it into walk mode and it did shift into walk mode, I just did not move the bike. It still would not shift into drive. I think the problem is electrical not mechanical. but that's just what I think.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts