GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to visit with Steve this afternoon. He's in a fair amount of pain and "hurts all over". Even his hair hurts! Known injuries are broken right arm (both bones pinned last night in surgery), multiple breaks of the pelvis and multiple breaks in the right hip. Plans are to put two plates in the pelvis tomorrow morning and then operate on the hip Monday.

He will be in the hospital 1-2 weeks then transferred to a rehab hospital a few blocks away. Unknown how long he'll stay there as an inpatient. The docs say he'll be confined to a wheelchair for perhaps 3 months. Hopefully, he'll make a sooner than expected recovery.

Please keep up with the prayers - they're working (as they always do)! He and Annette are very appreciative of them.

Several haave expressed a desire to send a card or note. I'll be happy to be a collection point and then give them to Steve or Annette, Please email me at [email protected] and I'll return my mailing address to you.

I expect that as soon as he's able to sit up a bit he'll have Annette bring up the notebook computer and be in touch with you directly.

More to follow ...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds like a long row to hoe but he can do it. I will add him to my prayers.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
Steve went in for surgery on his pelvis this morning at around 9am. They are putting pins and a plate on his pelvis, as it was shattered. He should be out of surgery in about an hour or so. His next surgery is for the hip, and that will be on Monday if all goes well.

They also found some cracked ribs on the chest X ray. Sounds like he really took a pretty hard hit.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Bottom line, he's alive and god willing will make a full recovery. My prayers will be with him and his family.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
Steve called me this morning and we talked on the phone for a bit. He is still in a lot of pain. He told me right off the bat, that he was done riding. Considering his injuries, I am not surprised by this statement.

His bike was broken in half by the collision, if that gives you any idea of the force of the impact. The other vehicle came completely over into his lane and he impacted on the passenger side, which shows how far over the vehicle was.

I told him we all were praying for him, and he said he appreciates it, as he knows the power of prayer works. Please continue to remember him daily in your prayers.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Thanks for the updates Fred.
Lots of prayers and good wishes going out for Steve and his family.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I want to come up to see Steve when it is rasonable for him to have visitors. We never did hook up at Cracker Barrel, so this can be an alternate for a while.

Can not even imagine what put the person in his lane.

I hope that Steve's recovery goes very well and very fast. He has been more than a friend, and has given much of his time so we could enjoy ourselves. Riding or not, I will always remember Steve for what he has done for the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
That is what I figured. Maybe we could hook up. Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Fred & Tom,
Keep us posted on Steve. I know he thinks that his riding days are over. But time helps in healing more than the physical.

Andy

·
Registered
550 Posts
Steve

He and his family shall remain in our prayers.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Annette,

I know that Steve is not the only one hurting right now. Setting there with the one you love, feeling helpless and a little scarred. We know the docs are doing the best for Steve. Meby in one of the quiet moments, you can feel all the good wishes and support from your friends here.

God Bless

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
I talked to Steve this evening. He is still having a lot of pain, and it seems like pain managment is the name of the game right now. They hope to transfer him to a rehab facility sometime later this week I think. I was going to go visit him this weekend, but after talking to his wife, I think it is too soon, so I will wait another week.

The insurance company is in the process of settling on his bike, so at least that much is going smoothly so far.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Thanks, Fred.

I will try to find a powered wheel chair for Steve. I had a lift, but need to see if it is still here.

Bob Kirk is going under the knife in the am too.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I went and saw him last night. He is in good spirits but has a long recovery in front of him. I saw the pictures of his bike, and he is lucky to be alive. The frame is broken on both sides, and the engine timing cover is now by the right side drivers peg. The whole engine rotated about 90 degrees.

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts