GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I limped my 07 GL1800 in to Denton Cycle Center, at closing time on Saturday 1/31, with the dreaded fork shift, blown tranny issue. I picked up my bike yesterday, Saturday 2/21, three weeks to the day after dropping it off. For the first week it was there the tech was out sick all week. So in two weeks time they had my bike tore down, that wasn't pretty to see, transmission opened up to identify the issue. One shift fork was charred and a few gears gone. The entire transmission was rebuilt, including all shift forks, gears, "dogs", and shafts to bring it back to life. On top of that I had the full meal deal Traxxion upgrade installed as the bike was already disassembled. All this in two weeks time and the bike runs and, most importantly, shifts better than it ever has, even better than the day I picked it up from the dealer brand new. So while this transmission issue is a problem for Honda, they never hesitated, or questioned any parts being ordered by Cycle Center. Does this absolve Honda from this issue, no. But in my case it was handled quickly, smoothly, and professionally by Cycle Center Center of Denton. I have my bike back and running like a Gold Wing should. A major tip of the hat to the folks at Cycle Center of Denton, Scott, Kenny, Carlos, Jimmy, and, most importantly, Johnny who work doggedly to get my bike done. Great folks, great dealer.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I limped my 07 GL1800 in to Denton Cycle Center, at closing time on Saturday 1/31, with the dreaded fork shift, blown tranny issue. I picked up my bike yesterday, Saturday 2/21, three weeks to the day after dropping it off. For the first week it was there the tech was out sick all week. So in two weeks time they had my bike tore down, that wasn't pretty to see, transmission opened up to identify the issue. One shift fork was charred and a few gears gone. The entire transmission was rebuilt, including all shift forks, gears, "dogs", and shafts to bring it back to life. On top of that I had the full meal deal Traxxion upgrade installed as the bike was already disassembled. All this in two weeks time and the bike runs and, most importantly, shifts better than it ever has, even better than the day I picked it up from the dealer brand new. So while this transmission issue is a problem for Honda, they never hesitated, or questioned any parts being ordered by Cycle Center. Does this absolve Honda from this issue, no. But in my case it was handled quickly, smoothly, and professionally by Cycle Center Center of Denton. I have my bike back and running like a Gold Wing should. A major tip of the hat to the folks at Cycle Center of Denton, Scott, Kenny, Carlos, Jimmy, and, most importantly, Johnny who work doggedly to get my bike done. Great folks, great dealer.
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with your dealer....My dealer is just as good! Seems rare these days!

Now get out & ride!:thumbup:

Mark

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I just know so many guys with Wings and none of them has had tranny problems...hmmm

Happy ending ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It is great to read good news.

Hector

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,548 Posts
"most importantly, shifts better than it ever has, even better than the day I picked it up from the dealer brand new."

Another satisfied customer! It is pretty clear that some trannys have issues from day one. Hopefully, Honda is taking note of these and has changed the way they are building the new trannys. Only time will tell.:shrug:

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Fred and Techdude;

We are sort of at a disadvantage compared to Honda when it comes to knowing what has gone wrong with these particular transmissions. I suspect some small % of the trouble to be driver error and the majority of the issue to be improperly hardened shifter forks. If my second suspicion is correct, it likely traces back to some third party parts supplier who is failing to do proper QC and failing to follow manufacturing protocol. The forks should not permenently bend. If they do bend, they will keep pressure on the moving parts and cause heat to build-up. Honda seems secretive (a guess all manufacturers are) and stubborn about making changes; but I bet they are most certainly aware of all of the issues -- being aware and taking overt action are different matters $ .

prs

·
Registered
477 Posts
Heel Toe Shifter

I'm curious - do you use a heel toe shifter? My Honda dealer told me Honda is cracking down on blown transmission warranty repairs if bike had a heel toe shifter. Thanks.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Great news to here.Glad everything worked out for you and you had a competent mechanic doing the work.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm curious - do you use a heel toe shifter? My Honda dealer told me Honda is cracking down on blown tranmission warranty repairs if bike had a heel toe shifter. Thanks.
That just chaps my hide!!!!!! I wish manufacturers would grow up and take responsibility for their junk.

I had a 2003 Ford F250 Diesel and I put a combination transmission oil temperature, turbo boost, exhaust temp guage on it because I pulled a trailer from time to time. Ford tried to tell me that since I modified the truck they would not warranty a seized carrier bearing on the driveshaft. They said the guages were an indication of someone abusing their truck. They wanted to know if I "chipped" it. Had I not stood my ground and just whimpered away I probably would have ended up paying that repair myself. Point here is that these idiots try their hardest to shirk responsibility for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Haven't had any problems with my 06, I have just under 20,000 miles on it.
Hopefully I don't have any trouble, but it's reassuring that Honda is stepping up to the plate on this.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Good news and better suspension:thumbup:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
A major tip of the hat to the folks at Cycle Center of Denton, Scott, Kenny, Carlos, Jimmy, and, most importantly, Johnny who work doggedly to get my bike done. Great folks, great dealer.

It's good to read that your dealer took great care of you when you had your problem. A good dealer sure does make the ownership experience so much better if there is a problem...that something that should be considered when thinking about buying a Wing from a discount dealer hundreds of miles from home. I also have a great dealer who took care of me when my frame had to be replaced.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm curious - do you use a heel toe shifter? My Honda dealer told me Honda is cracking down on blown transmission warranty repairs if bike had a heel toe shifter. Thanks.
Sam,
I do not have a heel toe shifter. Never have used one. I wouldn't buy that from your dealer. I would push it hard if you have transmission problems and make Honda pay for it

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
If mother Honda forbids dealers to sell and/or install HT shifters then they might have a leg to stand on. But we all know, they indeed do sell and install all the time. Dealers need to take responsibility for their own actions.

·
Registered
21,097 Posts
i'm not really against heal toe shifters but i have witnessed plenty of folks that continuously put some pretty extreme stress on transmissions with those things that they would not be doing with the stock Honda shifter

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sam,
I do not have a heel toe shifter. Never have used one. I wouldn't buy that from your dealer. I would push it hard if you have transmission problems and make Honda pay for it
I'm not experiencing any tranny problems. I just happened to spend some time talking to the service manager at my local Honda dealer in Delaware. He said he has done a few tranny jobs on the late model GWs and heel toe shifters have been an issue with warranty work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts