GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
frist some history been going on for 2 years,been to 2 doctors 1 chiropractic had x rays and scans spine ok, trouble all in the lower back and hig muscle, been doing all kinds of exercise even yoga I like to thank the person that said walk and then walk some more I started 4 days ago got 2 hunderd yards from house hurt like hell if the wife had been home I would had her pick me up any way by the time I got back my leg started moving better Im now walking a mile and half twice a day pain is about half what it was I even went for a short ride on bike today so thanks again for the info Jim

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey,
I read your first post. I wanted to type some things to you then, but I wasn't sure I could help. I'm glad you're feeling better.

I'm 45 and had lower back surgery (laminectomy and a repaired herniated disc) 13 years ago and it was a real life saver for me...I could hardly walk before the operation. I crawled from room to room and lost 2 months of work.

Every once in a while, I get a little bit of pain...but you have to understand I still ride pretty hard in the dirt, jump, etc. on an XR650R...which tends to land a little hard at times...LOL.

I have found a couple things that help me when I feel even the slightest hint of pain.

I immediately begin to stretch out the backs of my legs...hamstring muscles. I put my leg (heel) up on something that is about waist height and try to pull my toes back with my leg straight out. Even if you can only come close to doing this, you'll probably feel it stretching the backs of your legs. For some reason, this really helps relieve a lot of the pain.

I also use a Hang-Ups inversion table. If being upside down bothers you, I wouldn't recommend it, but with the table set up properly, you can set limits as to how far it will go. I think the key to inversion tables really working is that you have to relax while using them. For me, it's the best form of traction at home. I thought about gravity boots, but you can't regulate the inversion...it's also difficult to come down and you could pass out.

One last thing...I take some kind of inflammatory like Advil early...don't wait till you can't walk...and go easy on yourself for a while...don't go out and chop a cord of wood or mix a bag of mortar with a hoe!

Well, like I said...these are things I do for my situation. They may or may not help you.

Take care,
Russ

R

·
0 Posts
frist some history been going on for 2 years,been to 2 doctors 1 chiropractic had x rays and scans spine ok, trouble all in the lower back and hig muscle, been doing all kinds of exercise even yoga I like to thank the person that said walk and then walk some more I started 4 days ago got 2 hunderd yards from house hurt like hell if the wife had been home I would had her pick me up any way by the time I got back my leg started moving better Im now walking a mile and half twice a day pain is about half what it was I even went for a short ride on bike today so thanks again for the info Jim
Your post was thanks enough I'm sure. Keep on walking.

·
Registered
931 Posts
So glad to hear you are doing better. Unless you have had sciatic nerve pain you have no idea how it bothers you. I had to have surgery in 1983 to remove a ruptered disc L4 or L5, I can't remember. I went to a chiropractor for 3 months,no relief. Went to another chiropractor,he said there is a way to find out if it is a disc. He found out it is a disc. I had a friend who had his surgery done at Hartford hospital in Conn. Ihad my surgery there .My doctor was 76 yrs. old & he said it was the worse disc in the thousands he had done. It took a month to get my leg strength back. A word of Warning to anyone needing surgery. Surgery should be a Last resort. Find a surgeon that has done allot of this type of surgery,or you could end up a cripple. After surgery it is IMPERATIVE that your doctor gives you excercises to prevent SCAR TISSUE. If you do not do the excercises to prevent scar tissue it will land you back in the hospital for surgery just to remove the scar tissue build-up. Also do not sit in anything TOO SOFT. Sit in a more natural upright position. Do not cross your legs. Do not have a fat wallet in your back pocket. If your back bothers you, one thing to do is lay on your back and put your legs up on a chair or a couch at a 90 degree angle and relax. This is one position that will relax your back muscles. I saw allot of other great info from other members. I do plumbing for a living so I know back pain.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Cool! Here's my cane still in the corner.... been there since 1988.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well now it is my turn! Last few months it has been starting. Someone told me to sit in a chair, and raise one leg at a time and hold it. This seems to put the back a little bit back in line. Have to agree, not walking much for the past years is catching up to me! Now I need to exercise.:bow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts