GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thanks to everyone for the overwhelmingly enthusiastic and positive responses so far. I'm glad that so many of you find the software useful and practical. :lol:

Many of you have already pointed out improvements that could (and should) be made to the software. Also, I found a couple of minor bugs that I've fixed.

But the biggest news is that MANY of you wished that there was a 'Gas Usage/Mileage' tab added to the software.

SO, the past two days I've been coding non-stop, and I now have an updated version (w1.22.14) that includes a 'Gas Usage/Mileage' tab, which lets you enter a log of your gas purchases with gallons, miles traveled, and automatic mileage calculations.

Each gasoline entry also has it's own notepad for comments, notes, etc. (but really, folks, how much can you say about buying a tank of gas???) Don't answer! I've found out that plenty of people are VERY thorough in their recordkeeping. :roll:

Anyway, the latest, updated, 'enhanced' version of MyRide can be downloaded and installed by clicking here. If you find any bugs I might have created in doing all this updated code work, let me know!
:lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow! I just want to say a big thank you to everyone for reacting so positively to MyRide-- even though it's been available only three days now, and privately through selected newsgroups only, response has been almost overwhelming. This latest update with the added gasoline usage tab seems to ring a bell with a lot of you-- I can see now I should have had that tab in there in the first place.

Writing software starting out (so many years ago) as a hobby that kinda got out of hand. I'll never get rich selling it so cheaply, but that's never been my intention all these years anyway. I just really enjoy making computer software of all types that others find useful and/or time-saving. MyRide is an obvious combination of my love for motorcycles and programming-- I really don't know why I didn't come out with it a long time ago.

Anyway, I'm glad that so many of you are enjoying it and finding it useful. If I can help anyone in any way, or answer any questions, please be sure to contact me, either here, or by email or whatever! :)

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Don't you think you should tell people that this is an evaluation copy only and not freeware?

I don't see anything in this software that someone with a copy of Microsoft Access can't design in about 5 minutes using one of the wizards.

Larry

·
Registered
407 Posts
There has to be one in every crowd... It was clear in the original posting that there was a $15.00 charge after the evaluation period. Look up previous posts before spouting off. Not everybody has the time or inclination to spend hours setting up and tweeking their own software... So design your own if you want to save $15.00!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Rad said:

Anyway, the latest, updated, 'enhanced' version of MyRide can be downloaded and installed by clicking here. If you find any bugs I might have created in doing all this updated code work, let me know!
:lol:
Rad, I have the "first " version that you offered here installed and have already entered some data, do I need to delete that version and install the newer one. Or can I just load the newer version on top of the older one? Thanks for the update :!: I just want to install it the right way and save my data if that is possible. :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick M said:
Rad, I have the "first " version that you offered here installed and have already entered some data, do I need to delete that version and install the newer one. Or can I just load the newer version on top of the older one? Thanks for the update :!: I just want to install it the right way and save my data if that is possible. :wink:
Rick--

You do NOT have to uninstall the 'first' version. Just install the 'newer' version right on top of the older version and you're good to go-- and you don't lose any data you've already entered! :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LarryM said:
Don't you think you should tell people that this is an evaluation copy only and not freeware?

I don't see anything in this software that someone with a copy of Microsoft Access can't design in about 5 minutes using one of the wizards.

Larry
Larry, I thought I did tell everybody that. I must have mistyped your email address when I sent you your personalized notice. :shock:

I am envious of your skills with Microsoft Access, because it took me about 50 hours to develop MyRide. I would love to see a sample of what you're talking about if you don't mind putting it together for me-- after all, it would only take about five minutes of your time, right? :roll:

I look forward to getting it whenever you've got five minutes to spare. Thanks in advance. :lol:

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Give em hell Rad. Some people would bitch if they got hung with a brand new rope!!! By the way, good job/price on your developement of My Ride.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I looked at the first 2 posts of the thread and I see nothing. If there is another thread going on with the info, I'm not aware of it. I don't routinely search the archives to look for other threads on the same topic. My comment was on this topic only. Also, I thought that vendors selling their wares was prohibited on this board. If I am wrong, then I apologize.

I simply gave an opinion on the software. If yours is different then post it. If 10 people post that they like it and I'm the only one that doesn't, readers will know that my review is in the minority. Simple.

Larry

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Rad, You made your post while I was typing mine. If you are a regular Winger on this board, I apologize for being so harsh. When I saw that you just registered 3 days ago, I figured, "great, another spammer". That was one of the things that got me so riled.

Larry

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best software I ever bought, Fantastic!!!

Ok it's obvious that Iam extreamly happy with this program but because of it I had to clean up my files of assorted paperwork to get the info. I needed. My wife has been after me to do that for a long time. So she to thinks that it's well worth the $15.00 dollars. :idea: Keep the other half happy!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LarryM said:
Rad, You made your post while I was typing mine. If you are a regular Winger on this board, I apologize for being so harsh. When I saw that you just registered 3 days ago, I figured, "great, another spammer". That was one of the things that got me so riled.

Larry
Larry, I've been an active member of the GWRRA board for a long time because I've been riding a Wing since 1975. I've been monitoring the GL1800 board for over a year now, but didn't register because I don't own a GL1800-- I'm just interested in what you guys say about it because I plan to own one one of these years. But when I posted on the GWRRA about MyRide, a couple of them said I should post on the GL1800 board also (and a couple of other boards, too, which I did). Well, that meant registering after all this time, so I did. I can see how that might not look right. But I'm just a happy long-time GL1800 reader, and an old rider who likes to write software programs and see others enjoying the results of my efforts. Take care.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Fair enough. Obviously a misunderstanding on my part. I'll delete my posts as soon as I figure out how.
Larry

·
Registered
249 Posts
hey rad
doing what lawman did and got all my files in one spot to enter the data in myride.
so far so good.
as i was doing this, it struck me that it would be cool to have a mileage field in the maint./repair tab.
i am moving my data from excel into myride to see how the reports will print. i don't know about others, but i like to sort things like oil changes by mileage.
just a thought
great job!!
geek

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought about that to glgeek. I just typed in the mileage on the same line with the item. i.e. 2-15-04 oil and filter change mileage 17982.
Something like that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim Mathis said:
I thought about that to glgeek. I just typed in the mileage on the same line with the item. i.e. 2-15-04 oil and filter change mileage 17982.
Something like that.
Or you could put it in the notepad notes. That was kinda my thinking, too.
:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dMac said:
Hey RAD,
Is there a Mac version?

dMac
Is that where 'dMac' comes from? :lol:

dMac, the compiler I use to develop software doesn't speak 'Apple'. Sorry! :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update:

A couple of people said that the Add/Edit/Delete buttons associated with the picture display weren't displaying properly. Other said they were displaying just fine.

Like most, I could't recreate the problem here either, but I decided to change the coding method by which MyRide detects whether or not a picture is being displayed (and the corresponding picture option buttons).

If any of you experience this problem, the updated version has already been compiled and uploaded for distribution. You can get it by clicking here. If you're already installed a previous version, no problem-- just install this version right on top of the version you're currently using-- you won't even lose any data you've already entered.

Thanks for everyone's support and input. You're already making this program better and better with your insightful and constructive feedback.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is that where 'dMac' comes from?

dMac, the compiler I use to develop software doesn't speak 'Apple'. Sorry!
RAD,
Actually dMac comes from my name. Unfortunately I work for part of the evil empire[Intel Corp.] and would never own any of their products.(Trust me a long story and not wanting to get into a computer debate) I wanted to check your software. If its Access based it should be easy to port to FileMaker Pro which is available on both platforms.

dMac

1 - 20 of 22 Posts