GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 2005 Wing we purchased in 2011 after totaling our '94 in a deer collision. Since 2012 we have put on a total of 1200 miles because I just didn't like the bike. PERIOD!!!!!!

2005 has 18,000 miles on it and is in perfect shape. We've decided to upgrade it
New Hartco seat on the way.
We are thinking of going with the Traxxion Dynamics Mega Monty suspension upgrade. Anyone out there with this conversion?
How about some pros and cons?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
494 Posts
The wind protection is poor. The fact that it is "sportier" and quicker means absolutely nothing to me.
So you went to a bike with even less wind protection (not less wind "management") and is even "sportierer" and "quickerer" . :joke:

I'm glad that you are happy with your new bike, albeit a bit perplexed. Maybe there was something wrong with the '05?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I've come to the wrong boards. My question was about the Traxxion Dynamics upgrade not about my reasoning on keeping my bike. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Traxxion has been around a long time on Gen5’s lots of posts and YouTube videos, really depends what you are looking for, if you want to really clean up the handling and soft suspension it’s great but it will still be a Gen5 Wing, not the best around town bike but probably still one of the best long distance highway bikes made.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You are not going to get a 1500 ride by going with Traxxion. What I got on our '06 was a more compliant ride that doesn't bottom on hard bumps - and what surprised me - you no longer drag pegs as as easily. Curves are mouch more confident. My wife likes it better, and was actually the one that duggested it after riding on their shop bike.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I think we need to know what it is that you don't like about your '05. Did you like your '94? If you did, why, what is the difference that makes you not like the '05?

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
The Mega Monty upgrade will make the front suspension more compliant and get rid of the harsh feeling from the handlebars when you hit bumps. It will make the bike ride better in the rear and will soften the passengers ride. It will also make the steering more precise and responsive and get rid of the flex in the front forks and steering system. This improves both high and low speed handling characteristics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have answered my questions.
My 1500 was a Progressive set up and it made the bike much more pleasant to ride.
The advice you have all given me is exactly what I am looking for as far as the performance of the ride. Thank you for your help. Looking forward to future advice

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you explain what you mean by a Gen5 Wing? Not familiar with this term.
What did I like about my '94 1500? After the Progressive suspension upgrade, just about everything. Our first Wing was a '91and after upgrading to Progressive it was great also.
We were contemplating a new '19 DCT after the test ride but after watching the You Tube videos about needed upgrades we decided to upgrade our '05 and see how the DCT pans out over the next couple of years before dropping $24,000 and another $3,000 right away. Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
530 Posts
Smart. You may like your modified 5th gen so much you don't need or want to change to a GL1833. That's where I am at this point.

Can you explain what you mean by a Gen5 Wing? Not familiar with this term.
What did I like about my '94 1500? After the Progressive suspension upgrade, just about everything. Our first Wing was a '91and after upgrading to Progressive it was great also.
We were contemplating a new '19 DCT after the test ride but after watching the You Tube videos about needed upgrades we decided to upgrade our '05 and see how the DCT pans out over the next couple of years before dropping $24,000 and another $3,000 right away. Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You have answered my questions.
My 1500 was a Progressive set up and it made the bike much more pleasant to ride.
The advice you have all given me is exactly what I am looking for as far as the performance of the ride. Thank you for your help. Looking forward to future advice
Sounds like you’re going ahead with the upgrade. You will like it. I thought the triple tree was the best of the best of this upgrade. I also did the Heli-bars and now it rides better and handles better than ever. I hope you come back and give us your report afterwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts