GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the older posts I'm not sure if it can be done or not. Can anyone tell me if I can do it and what procedure will work. Also what do I have to do about locking codes. I don't have a Garmin but I have a friend who has one.

Also can a larger card be used to get more detailed maps?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you have the new version of mapsource and a CF card reader? You will need the UNIT ID # from your GPS (not ser#). Register the UNIT ID # to your software to get the unlock code. Backup your CF card with original maps someplace where you can reuse if need be. Then select all the maps that you need ( the 2 GB card will hold every map) and down load on card. Stick the card in the GPS and fire your motorcycle up and let the GPS do its thing. Hope this helps Richard

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I read that correctly only one GPS (in addition to the Garmin that is already registered) can be updated. Is that correct?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard how do I tell which version of mapsource I have and what difference will it make? My bike is one of the earliest '06's sold in Canada. Bought it in Feb '06.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Unless something has changed in the past few months, Garmin allows two unlocks per license for the V8 upgrade. I have my bike and my Garmin V on the same license. Lots of informaiton in the "my garmin" area on their website.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Garmin does allow 2 unlock codes for one mapsource. If you have not updated at all you will have version 7. That is as far as Honda has done. To unlock the second code, go to mapsource, Utilities, unlock maps. hope this helps Richard

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a Garmin 2610 which uses a ver 8 and a 2720 which uses a ver 8 NT. Which does the Nav system use? NT or not?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have an '06 Navi that I bought new in May. I've been following this thread and the one pointed to by BillytheKidd, and if I've been reading right, since I don't own another Garmin model, am I basically hosed? I can't update my maps to v8 from v7, because I don't have an unlock code for the first unit??

·
Registered
203 Posts
royrcjr said:
Hi Guys,
I have an '06 Navi that I bought new in May. I've been following this thread and the one pointed to by BillytheKidd, and if I've been reading right, since I don't own another Garmin model, am I basically hosed? I can't update my maps to v8 from v7, because I don't have an unlock code for the first unit??
No you buy mapsource & unlock it to your GPS unit. Download it to your CF card put it in and go. Richard

·
Registered
755 Posts
royrcjr said:
Hi Guys,
You just need the "full install" version instead of the update.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts