GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first trike a 2009 Motor Trike conversion kit. So far I love the trike except the front end is a little rough. The bike has 4.5 ez steer. Does anyone have any suggestions on which upgrade I can get. Because it has the 4.5 rake I am not sure if it makes a difference on which upgrade to use. Thanks !

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
My trike buddy just had his front suspension Traxxionized, world of difference. He's very happy. Talk with Max @ traxxion. @Max McAllister

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
309 Posts
We rode to Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA about a month ago and had the kit installed along with a fork brace. They did the job in just under four hours while we waited. We've put about 500 miles on the trike (2008 GL1800 MotorTrike Razor) and it has made a noticeable difference in ride. The most noticeable ride differences to me are it seems to "float" over minor imperfections on the road. It also seems to be less "slidey or drifty " in corners. A harsh imperfection such as a pothole or surface height mismatch at say a bridge still gives a jolt. No way to smooth out the ride on imperfections such as that. So far we are satisfied with the Traxxion kit on our trike.
I'm probably the "trike buddy" that ssncob mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It's usually a combination of things that contribute to a rough ride.

Starting with the rear, what is your tire pressure? Many have found that 22psi or just under is about where you want it. You have to remember that these are car tires meant for much heavier loads which trikes don't have. Running at 28-30psi will ride rough. I have mine set to 22psi.

The front antidive valve on the forks. These are meant to assist on 2 wheels but not really necessary on 3. They can get locked, usually from poor maintaining, and this will give you a stiff ride and possibly blow out the left fork seal. I would suggest disabling it. Easiest way is to use a shim which can be found on ebay or other places. It's a matter of removing 2 bolts, slide shim into place, and then use the new linger bolts that usually come with the shim kit.

Next is the front tire. Many trikes will have been switched to one of 2 front tires. The Bridgestone Batlax or the Michelin Pilot Activ. These are actually rear tires used on the front because they have more tread depth. The problem is that they are bias ply and cannot help soak up the bumps as easy as a radial tire will. And in my experiences, running them at the same psi as many do up around 41psi, it provided a much rougher ride especially on roads that had a lot of bumps and potholes. What worked for me was running the front tire around 36psi up to a max of 38psi and this helped smooth things out. The best thing that made a huge difference was getting rid of the bias ply front tire and putting on the Avon Cobra Chrome Trike tire. This is a radial tire and was a night and day difference. For me, I think it was the biggest improvement in ride quality. I run mine at 41psi now and it gives a nice smooth performance. I should have done it years ago. Be aware if you do this, make sure to get the TRIKE version as Avon has 2 different AV91 ones that are both the same size. The trike one will have TRIKE right on the sidewall.

Finally the fork springs. Not sure what you have in there now. Like @ssncob and @alwrmcusn mention, many like the Traxxion upgrade. But a lot on the trikes actually prefer the stock fork springs because the tend to be a little cushier. But they do get worn out over time and need to be replaced. Those folks will replace them with OEM fork springs. Before mine was triked, I put Progressive Suspension fork springs in mine. I kept them after triking and have liked them. I have seen where some complained that the PS springs gave too harsh a ride but they have worked well for me. IIRC, I use 10w fork oil in mine. Personally, I think upgraded springs work out better whether you go the Traxxion route or the budget Progressive route like I did.

So sorry for the long winded post but fixing a rough ride is usually adjusting a combination of things. Using a 4.5⁰ rake really won't be a factor in the ride quality, it is more of an aid as far as turning. No rake on trike and you will really have to muscle through every corner and turn. The 4.5⁰ will help a lot. On mine, I have a 6⁰ rake. The longer the wheelbase, the more of a rake you want. Since my California Sidecar Viper has one of the linger wheelbases in the market, the 6⁰ is the best choice for it.

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just reread the post by @alwrmcusn and missed his mention of the fork brace. I have to agree with that as well and have one on mine. But he has the Traxxion one and I have a Superbrace version that was already on when I bought my bike. I had the Superbrace on my 1500 before and liked the improvement it gave so I decided to keep the 1800 one on. When on 2 wheels, it does help keeping both forks moving together which I feel is safer but helps especially when cornering. On trikes with rakes, I think it makes a more noticeable difference and helps improve the cornering. Without it, I think you end up with a "wobbly" feeling on the front end. No matter which one you use, Traxxion, Superbrace, Kuryakyn, etc... a fork brake just helps give a more "planted" feel IMHO.

Reactions: ssncob

·
Registered
89 Posts
I fixed the rough ride on my 12 by installing Traxxion fork springs, disabled the anti-dive valve and installed a Kury 3 piece fork brace. This made a great improvement in the ride. I run 36 psi in the front and 25 in the rear tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts