GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.. I have a 2005 gl1800 that I wish had the ABS feature. Is there a conversion package that would upgrade to ABS and How much would it cost?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Someone worked up a price list just for parts a few years ago. Parts alone were over $5,000.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
How about a boat anchor and some rope? Spring load the sucker on top of yer trunk with an electric launch button on the bars. That'd pull ya to a straight stop in no time! :shock:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
fortsand said:
Someone worked up a price list just for parts a few years ago. Parts alone were over $5,000.
Anyone remember that insurance company that did the same thing to a 70's-era Chevy sedan? The car, which sold for something around $5,000 new at the time cost over $37,000 in parts (not counting the labor required to assemble it).

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
Unless you just like trading bikes or having the newest edition; the "benefit" of ABS on this bike does seem to justify the beating you will almost certainly take in your trade equity. Its not that the ABS is not GREAT and highly recommended, but rather the standard brakes are top notch too. Seems odd to me that Honda does not make the ABS standard, but in recent editions they have actually made ABS availability more limited :roll: .

prs

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
Seems odd to me that Honda does not make the ABS standard, but in recent editions they have actually made ABS availability more limited :roll: . prs
Wouldn't dealer orders drive manufacturing?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Notice the ABS is only on the high end priced bikes. I have ABS on my 02 and would not buy a bike without it, but I don't need the GPS and heated seats just to get ABS. That stopped me from buying a 07. What Honda thinks people will pay for is what drives the manufacturing.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
topster said:
What Honda thinks people will pay for is what drives the manufacturing.
For the initial manufacturing run I agree with you but once there is some feedback from the critics and customers it seems downright stupid if Honda didn't listen to their customers as to the desired options.

I was in electronic parts and pieces manufacturing for many years and the driver there was "industry standard", i.e., build what everybody else was building but make it cheaper/faster/more reliable or spiffier. But we didn't sell to the general public.

I would think any manufacturer who stocked dealers floors with options no one wanted would totally piss off their dealer network and damage everyone's bottom line.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
LT, Honda does listen to its customers, the current pricing steps are an example. It gathered info that "everyone" wants ABS and a lot of the other brands will or do have ABS. Honda then says, ABS, GPS and heated seats seem to be a big thing in the GoldWing world per all the conversation on the boards. Lets give them to the customer, but the customer must buy all to get the ABS which seems to be the most desired item. And we can make a bundle doing it. So now you must buy all the other stuff just to get ABS. Honda will give us exactly what they say we want, not what we say we want.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
topster said:
..... but the customer must buy all to get the ABS which seems to be the most desired item. And we can make a bundle doing it. So now you must buy all the other stuff just to get ABS. Honda will give us exactly what they say want, not what we say we want.
Which is exactly why I just bought another '03 w/ABS rather than a new '07.

Don't like bundles.....in cable TV or in motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Exactly why I didn't buy a 07 and will keep my 02 ABS IB and add a new CX-14 when the new K sport tourer comes out. ABS, power windshield, hetaed grips and MUCH more hp and get up and go. That way I will have the best of both sides.... A tour bike and a sport tourer..... :D

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
No such thing as "too many bikes"! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts