GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that most of the GL1800 fork updrades are either (1) Progressive fork springs, (2) Traxxion fork springs, (3) Racetech fork springs and fork kits, or (4) the Traxxion full cartridge upgrade.

There have been a lot of comments from those who upgraded to the Traxxion cartridges from the OEM suspension or the OEM suspension with Progressive fork springs but I don't think I have read any comments from those did an upgrade from the Traxxion fork springs or the Racetech kits.

Has anyone first tried the Traxxion fork springs and/or Racetech kits and then made the full Traxxion upgrade?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! About 180 views and not one reply. Does this really mean that nobody has upgraded from the Traxxion springs and/or RaceTech kits to the AK-20s or that only a very few have gone that route and have not responded to this question?

Lets change the question. Is anyone with the Traxxion springs or Racetech kits seriously thinking about upgrading to the AK-20s or are you totally satisfied with what you already have?

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
As far as I know, we have never taken a Race Tech fork and upgraded it to AK-20.

We have done about a dozen Progressive Spring only forks to AK-20.

I think we have only done a couple of Traxxion Springs to AK-20.

It may be hard to find someone to respond to this thread.

We haven't sold so many "spring only" kits, because we only got them ready around last summer, and most people don't know about our spring kits. Progressives are very famous, so it is more likely that we would have upgraded their spring only to AK-20, just because there are lots of wingers who got the progressive springs when they were the only real option available.

8)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have Traxxion front springs. (not the fork upgrade). I'm very happy with the springs. I am not planning to do any other work on the front suspension.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max McAllister said:
We haven't sold so many "spring only" kits, because we only got them ready around last summer, and most people don't know about our spring kits.
Max -- thank you for the response since I have really been curious as to what the GL1800 community has been upgrading from. I put the Traxxion rear shock and fork springs on my GL1800 last month and think that they were the highest value for $$$ of any after-market product(s) I have ever purchased. While the AK-20s are certainly tempting, my intended use for the Goldwing (which I bought from a friend last summer) are pretty smooth freeways and wide open secondary roads and the "ride" that I now have on those surfaces seems to be about as good as it gets. I'll know more once the temperatures here get above 50 degrees but right now I am a pretty happy camper. Its certainly nice to know that if I later decide to upgrade I will get a full credit for the cost of the springs which means that I either (1) spent $125 to meet my needs or (2) spent zero to find out that I really needed the AK-20s. That is what I call a win-win.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
All I can say is...get the full upgrade and include the AK-20's...get rid of the anti-dive...you have spent the majority of the cost...DO THE REST!!!...don't forget the All Balls bearings and the Kury brace...YOU WONT REGRET IT... :yes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Traxxion upgrade

I have installed the Traxxion fork springs and notice a serious improvement over the stock springs. I have an appointment on April 20, 2007 at Traxxion in Woodstock, Ga. for the entire upgrade front and rear. I will be able to tell you the result following that work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gwlrhfarm said:
All I can say is...get the full upgrade and include the AK-20's...get rid of the anti-dive...you have spent the majority of the cost...DO THE REST!!!...don't forget the All Balls bearings and the Kury brace...YOU WONT REGRET IT... :yes:
Jerry, thanks for the advice but I really have not spent the majority of the cost, far from it, my total cost to date, including shipping in both directions and fork oil, is under $650. I split my riding time between 3 motorcycles and the money I didn't spend for a full upgrade paid for a very trick GP Suspensions front fork rebuild on my FJR1300 and a Wilbers shock and Ohlins fork springs for my 1000 V-Strom. If the Goldwing was my only motorcycle and I rode it everywhere then I agree that a full upgrade would be the way to go but for the time being I am pretty happy with what I have. Besides, Traxxion may have something even better for the Goldwing next year! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Traxxion upgrade

Bob Kinser said:
I have installed the Traxxion fork springs and notice a serious improvement over the stock springs. I have an appointment on April 20, 2007 at Traxxion in Woodstock, Ga. for the entire upgrade front and rear. I will be able to tell you the result following that work.
Thanks Bob, I am looking forward to hearing your feedback. I think the AK-20s get a lot more comments and attention than the Traxxion rear shock but it also is very good and a real bargain for the improvement it makes.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Max McAllister said:
As far as I know, we have never taken a Race Tech fork and upgraded it to AK-20.

We have done about a dozen Progressive Spring only forks to AK-20.

I think we have only done a couple of Traxxion Springs to AK-20.

It may be hard to find someone to respond to this thread.

We haven't sold so many "spring only" kits, because we only got them ready around last summer, and most people don't know about our spring kits. Progressives are very famous, so it is more likely that we would have upgraded their spring only to AK-20
, just because there are lots of wingers who got the progressive springs when they were the only real option available.

That would be me!!! & I think my progressives are about DEAD as in REAL DEAD...chuck...D%$#@ I am waiting for the "NEW" penske shock

8)

·
Vendor
21,890 Posts
FYI, I have a complete review of the Traxxion Rear Shock posted here:

http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews

I have a lot of miles now on the Traxxion rear shock, and I am real pleased with it. It is a HUGE improvement over the stock shock and rear spring.

I will also be adding a review for the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges and springs to the site in a few weeks. I had Progressive springs in the bike before, which made a noticeable decrease in sag over the OEM springs. The Traxxion springs provide even less sag over the Progressives, as well as increased damping that the AK-20 cartridges provide.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Last spring Honda replaced the rear shock on my 03 under warranty, at the same time I upgraded to the Progressive front springs. That set up was an improvement however the bike still wallowed in the hard turns and the wife still got the whiplash effect on hard bumps. About a month later I installed the Traxxion front springs and their rear shock. That was a big improvement, the whiplash was pretty much gone and the wallowing in turns was reduced by about 90%. I rode the bike with that set up for a month and we then left for Wing Ding in Nashville. While in Nashville we upgraded to the AK20's. I was really impressed with the upgrade. The wallowing is completely gone as was the whiplash effect on the passenger. The bike feels extremely well planted with very good feel of the road. I am truly impressed with the full Traxxion set-up. I highly recommend the full system, however if money is limited the front springs are a big improvement over OEM and Progressive.
My $.02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fred H. said:
FYI, I have a complete review of the Traxxion Rear Shock posted here:
http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews

I have a lot of miles now on the Traxxion rear shock, and I am real pleased with it. It is a HUGE improvement over the stock shock and rear spring.

I will also be adding a review for the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges and springs to the site in a few weeks.
Thanks Fred, I had already read your Traxxion rear shock review and that is what sealed the deal for me to go that route. I am looking forward to reading your AK-20 review.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cal-D said:
About a month later I installed the Traxxion front springs and their rear shock. That was a big improvement, the whiplash was pretty much gone and the wallowing in turns was reduced by about 90%. I rode the bike with that set up for a month and we then left for Wing Ding in Nashville. While in Nashville we upgraded to the AK20's. I was really impressed with the upgrade.
Thanks Cal, from Max's response it sounds like you are one of a very small group that has gone from the Traxxion springs to the AK-20s. I sent you a PM for more information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Progressive cartridge

:?Just installed progress cartridges in my 06 gl1800. They raised the front 1.5 inches.
Also noticed much better bump cumplince and much faster rebound from brake dive.
It appears that most of the GL1800 fork updrades are either (1) Progressive fork springs, (2) Traxxion fork springs, (3) Racetech fork springs and fork kits, or (4) the Traxxion full cartridge upgrade.

There have been a lot of comments from those who upgraded to the Traxxion cartridges from the OEM suspension or the OEM suspension with Progressive fork springs but I don't think I have read any comments from those did an upgrade from the Traxxion fork springs or the Racetech kits.

Has anyone first tried the Traxxion fork springs and/or Racetech kits and then made the full Traxxion upgrade?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts