GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please only help from people that have done the upgrade, I'm upgrading to version 8 with My second unlock feature how do I looad the maps to the card and keep them in the file gmapsupp , and the unlock code into gmapsupp.unl I try and open these files after backing up old of course and I can't open them to write in new info, I have loaded all version 8 maps on computer and have the unlock code, thanks much, snow...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I upgraded my nav to V8 about two weeks ago and it was not too difficult but was time consuming. There were 4 major steps to the process:
1. Remove CF from GPS unit in trunk. Insert CF card into CF slot on computer and copy entire contents of card to a file in case of update failure (VERY important).

2. Unlock maps in City Navigator. The first disk I got from Garmin was City Navigator NT and when working with the Garmin rep to unlock it he said I had been sent the wrong program and he then sent me City Navigator which I did the upgrade with. I don't know the difference between the two I just know what worked for me.

3. I then used the steps in this post http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67191&highlight=impatient and built a file of all the maps of the North American continent. Having never worked with the Mapsource program before I had some confusion on how to build the file but found that I first needed to name the file ( 'gmapsupp' with no file extension ) using the 'Map Set Name' button on the lower left of the screen. I then selected all the maps of the North American continent by using the map tool and clicking on the upper left corner of the world atlas and draging it to the lower right corner. As I did this the maps selected turned yellow in color and were individually displayed on the left side of the screen. I then saved the file. This took about 45 minutes to build.

4. I then used the 'Transfer' button at the top of the screen and then the 'Send to Device' button followed by selecting the CF card to start the transfer. This took about another 45 minutes.

5. I re-installed CF card into GPS unit in trunk and turn key on. It took about 5 minutes for the GPS of 'Acquiring Satillites' message before it was ready to navigate. I don't know if this was because of the update or because I had the bike indoors for serveral days with the battery disconnected part of the time.

I have not noticed any difference in operation since the update but then I have not been outside my normal area.

Good Luck
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cakeman thanks much for help I have the maps on the card just by selecting them and sending to card and mapsource automatically sent them and naming them gmapsupp correctly but I can't figure out how to get the new unlock code onto the card into gmapsupp.unl any idea how to put new unlock code onto card? Bob...snow...

·
Registered
927 Posts
That unlock code 'gmapsupp.unl' I believe just locks the CF card to the appropriate GPS unit. You should not need to do anything to it inorder for your updated CF card to work in your bike but it will not work on anybody elses bike.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I though this is where the new unlock code has to be to unlock the new version 8 maps, otherwise why do We use the second unlock feature to unlock maps? let Me try the old code

·
Registered
927 Posts
All I had to do was update the 'gmapsupp' and stick the card back to the bike.
Ken

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cake man, ok I just loades the old gmapsup.unl to the card and it unlock version 8 just fine good deal I still have all the Honda shop waypoints they must be in the firmware of unit instead of mapset, and My neighborhood is only on version 8 not on 7 and it shows up, so 8 is unlocking good deal thanks so very much, for thise whowant to try it

just get unlock code from Garmin using second unlock option erase old mapset from card, go to Mapsource unlock version 8 maps, with new unlock code using unlock wizard, then select all the USa ans Canada if you want it also, select send to card using card reader and thats it stick in card into bike navi and good to go , it still sucks We cannot operate the unit while moving but thats our next fix

·
Registered
927 Posts
Congratulations !!
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more point for everyone is that My navi had bad reception a lot especially runnning north, here around Chicago, lots of times I had no reception or poor reception of Satellites, I talked to a mechanic friend and he had said to take the gps unit apart in trunk and put Di-electric Grease on all the connections antenna and wires, I was thinking of re mounting the antenna on the dash and asking Him how to get a t it and he said first try the di-electric grease on the connectors the big one with all wires and the antenna connection put lots of grease on it and put it all back together and it is great now full 7 satellite reception in the garage where I use to not have any signal in the garage, and is great outside now the connectors must have bad connection sometimes new so this is a easy fix for poor reception :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts