GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding season is over thanks to a drunk. While I have the bike apart repairing the damage a side project I thought about was replacing my radiators with the larger version offered in the 2006-up bikes. I know it won't be a remove and replace project and there will be some fabrication involved, but does anyone know any reason why they absolutely wouldn't fit? Has anyone did this and found it didn't help with cooling?

·
Vendor
18,409 Posts
My riding season is over thanks to a drunk. While I have the bike apart repairing the damage a side project I thought about was replacing my radiators with the larger version offered in the 2006-up bikes. I know it won't be a remove and replace project and there will be some fabrication involved, but does anyone know any reason why they absolutely wouldn't fit? Has anyone did this and found it didn't help with cooling?
When I look at the parts fishe, the air guides and fan motors are different. I've never compared any of those or the lower stay they rest on, I do notice the blow is greater on the newer Wings. It looks like the grills are different too. Make sure you compare the hose part numbers on all 8 hoses that attach to each. Also, check the stay on each side above the valve cover that the air guides rest on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ive done it on the other way .. i used the older radiator 01-05 on a 08 bike .. it fit without any fabrication and same hose connection .. a little problem in fixing the the front inner covers .. but at end will fit without any modifications ..

not sure .. but to do it your way i think the only problem is the lower radiator support .. since the newer is bigger with 21 lines the support should be lower ..

another thing is that right side radiator cap support is diffrent .. but again should not be a big deal ..

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Do not know if this is going to be a concern or not.
I bought Baker Upper/Lower Air Wings for my 06 when it was new.
After mounting them, I could not fully open either fairing storage lid. The hit the Baker mounting brackets.
A call to Baker resulted in a new set of brackets being shipped as there was a change(don't know what-never asked) in the 2006 fairings and the older mounting bracket would not work.
I have no idea if this was needed because of the new radiators but, maybe a call to Baker (800) 451-9464 (419) 965-2646 is needed to ask if he knows why the fairing change was made.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Were you having a cooling system problem before being wrecked, beyond what was typical of '02s and even the new bikes in parade mode? If so, check the coolant capacity of the heads (even if they were checked by Honda) and make sure they did replace that wire harness (if not, chem flush the cooling system to rid it of galvonic corrosion). Another option, once your system is clean, would be to use Evans NPG+ coolant. The bike temps still rise, but so far as I can determine you just can't make that stuff boil and thus the heads are protected eve youn do run hot; plus it will not corrode as there is no water in it.

prs

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No cooling problems to speak of other than the reported 'getting hotter going uphill at slow speeds'.

The weekend of the crash we were staying in a cabin near Pigeon Forge. It's at the end of a 3/4 mile curvy road that's probably 30-40% incline most of the way up...so it's first gear all the way in the 15-20mph range. With two people and pulling a loaded trailer, by the time I reached the cabin the bike was truly overheating...puking coolant.

Without the trailer the trip up would cause the bike to get close to the red. I have reversed fans and a manual fan switch. When I turned on the fans at the bottom of the hill the temperature would go maybe 1/2 a line above normal.

I like to piddle with things, and since I'll have the bike apart, I thought putting the larger radiators in there might make the cooling system a little more robust.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,542 Posts
So it still puked collant with your manual switch running the fans? Did you flip the blades when you reversed the motors?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it still puked collant with your manual switch running the fans? Did you flip the blades when you reversed the motors?
No. On that trip up the fans were off most of the way. It was about the third trip up the mountain I decided to turn the fans on manually from the beginning, and that worked well.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Do not know if this is going to be a concern or not.
I bought Baker Upper/Lower Air Wings for my 06 when it was new.
After mounting them, I could not fully open either fairing storage lid. The hit the Baker mounting brackets.
A call to Baker resulted in a new set of brackets being shipped as there was a change(don't know what-never asked) in the 2006 fairings and the older mounting bracket would not work.
I have no idea if this was needed because of the new radiators but, maybe a call to Baker (800) 451-9464 (419) 965-2646 is needed to ask if he knows why the fairing change was made.

The faring change that caused the Baker AW bracket change is actually due to the hinge being different. The lid is on the faring on 01-05, but it is mounted directly to the pocket on 06-10 and it fits under the trim. This different hinge is what caused a problem with Baker AW. I doubt the pocket lid change was due to radiator change. I think it was due to Honda mechanic's complaints about breaking off lids when changing the air filter. I know I almost broke one off one day catching it on the handle bars while lifting the top shelter off.

·
Vendor
18,409 Posts
I'd check and repair your cooling system. It should nto do that and repairing what you have should work.

When I pressure test radiator caps, many fail and need replacing especially on older Wings. Every lost lb reduces the boiling point by 2.75 deg. Pressure test your system too for leaks ... high at 16-20 lbs and low around 6-7 lbs. Let the pressure test it over night after you have rode it so you can detect any leaks as it cools. Put the tester on about a hour after you have rode it; there should be no pressure under the cap then.

Make sure your radiators pass air flow. At that age, they may need to be remove and taken to a radiator shop for professional cleaning. When hot, turn your fan switch on and place your hands up front to feel the hot air from each. The blow should feel the same and same temp. Make sure your coolant is newer, and inspect your recovery system making sure all 4 hoses are not leaking and check the resivior too.

Usually doing a visual inspections from above will reveal your problem.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The faring change that caused the Baker AW bracket change is actually due to the hinge being different. The lid is on the faring on 01-05, but it is mounted directly to the pocket on 06-10 and it fits under the trim. This different hinge is what caused a problem with Baker AW. I doubt the pocket lid change was due to radiator change. I think it was due to Honda mechanic's complaints about breaking off lids when changing the air filter. I know I almost broke one off one day catching it on the handle bars while lifting the top shelter off.
Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts