GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 wing and have just hit 93k miles. Thinking of upgrading by end of year. There are several NEW 2018 around the area with about $6k mark down. Any real differences between the 2018 and 2020?

·
Registered
95 Posts
And yes, there are differences:
In addition to the new colors, some new features and refinements have been added to the 2020 models:

• Fog lights standard on Tour models, for improved visibility in varying conditions
  • On Tour models, reshaped rear-seat grab handles provide improved ergonomics for passengers of all body types
  • Saddlebag-mounted USB charger on all models (previously standard only on Airbag model) joins dash-mounted charger for increased charging options
  • Updated front and rear suspension settings
  • Revised button on center storage pocket features improved action
  • Minor software updates on navigation system
  • Blacked-out engine, frame and wheels now available on Pearl Glare White Tour and Tour DCT
  • All-new black with anodized surfaces available on Gold Wing and Gold Wing DCT

·
Registered
62 Posts
Part of riding was running thru the gears, don't know if I would like the DCT or not. Have not tried one yet.
You should at least test ride a DCT. You can still run it in manual if you want to shift yourself. Paddle shifting like in a new car. After close to a dozen bikes over the years I picked up a 2018 DCT and love it. You can even shift it up or down while it is in Auto say to engine brake or drop down a gear or two to pass. As for the difference in year models the 2019 + have a slightly refined transmission that is a little smoother. I can't think of anything else. I would go for a 2018 and use the savings to purchase accessories
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I bought a 2020 when they first came available. I could have saved about 4 k for an 18 but decided I wanted newest updates and if I sell it down the road it will be worth more than the 18. It’s a wonderful bike and I’ve had four gold wings but this DCT is the best. I never thought I would want any automatic bike but when I rode it over 4 hrs I wouldn’t trade for two manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of the feedback. This is my 3rd wing. Put 150k miles on first one, 100k on 2nd one and this one creeping towards 94k. I love the wings, would want the touring model.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you'll really like the DCT Tour.
I would say though that a few hour demo or even a week ride will not let you fully understand the nuances of the DCT, and you might be put off at first.
It's taken me a full month to fully understand the personality of the DCT and I'm glad I didn't go with the manual.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The only chance I have had to try one of the new Goldwings was a 20 minute demo ride of a 2018 model two summers ago. At the time I felt that the seating position was a bit more sporty with more lean forward needed to get to the grips. I guess that adding risers (as I did on my 2016 Goldwing) might alleviate that concern. For those here that had an older Goldwing and then went with a 2018 or newer model, what is your thoughts about the Goldwing moving too far on the spectrum to a sport touring bike rather than a luxury tourer?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
You do not need to be in manual mode to shift the DCT. It is as easy as an index finger to up shift and the press of a thumb to down shift. Great bike. Extremely happy with my 2018.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Just a change of Colors and updated electronics, which you can upgrade yourself.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Just a change of Colors and updated electronics, which you can upgrade yourself.
Not exactly. There is also a second fob and an updated something or other on the DCT to make shifting smoother, though mine shifts nice and smooth already.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yes there is a second fob, but no one has found anything different on newer model DCT Wings

1 - 14 of 14 Posts