GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have these yet but pretty sure Santa will be bringing me a pair:wink2:. Looking over the instructions, I see about drilling the 2 holes & sanding/filing them round & smooth. Would it not be much simpler & neater to vacate that area with a hole saw? Anyone know how large the hole needs to be?

Tks, TM etc

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I installed these.

Two suggestions:1) check out Cruisemans video on the installation 2) do not use a holesaw. Invest a few bucks on the proper size step drill

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I just used a step drill bit, worked perfectly. Bought the two piece set from Harbor Freight for $13.99. A lot of their stuff is cheap but the bits had very good reviews. If you install a trunk rack you will need a set.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Two suggestions:1) check out Cruisemans video on the installation 2) do not use a holesaw. Invest a few bucks on the proper size step drill
I used a hole saw and it gave me a perfect cut, just go slow.

Honda install instructions suggest drilling multiple holes in a circle and sanding smooth. Good luck with that, this plastic is tough and very difficult to shape with a file or sandpaper. Cruiseman followed the Honda instructions and the results can bee seen on this link starting at the 1 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/vYAaqX3KZd0?t=61

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used a Forstner bit, mainly because I had a set in the tool box. Harbor Freight sells the set for under $10. Went through it like butter and left a smooth hole. I don’t remember the size I used, probably around 5/8”. Use a block of wood behind the housing to prevent the bit grabbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have several in my collection of 'stuff' over the years as well. Was asking about the size to know if I already had one the right size or if I needed to go shopping.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have several in my collection of 'stuff' over the years as well. Was asking about the size to know if I already had one the right size or if I needed to go shopping.
I’m not sure what size you’ll need for the air deflectors. I drilled the holes to mount my undermirror lights. The back side of the cover has a raised circle to indicate the location to drill. The circle might also indicate the size of hole that’s needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just used a step drill bit, worked perfectly. Bought the two piece set from Harbor Freight for $13.99. A lot of their stuff is cheap but the bits had very good reviews. If you install a trunk rack you will need a set.
Harbor freight also has a 3 pc step drill and it will do the job nice and easy and no filing or sanding. I picked it up on sale for about $9 with coupon,

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wow, that's a LOT more involved than the Baker Built install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts