GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about air deflectors after Seth mentioned them to me in another thread. The Baker ones look easier to install, and are cheaper... but I think the OEM ones look better. Some forum searching reveals mixed reviews on what they’re like at directing airflow towards you on hot days though. Some people say they only work for blocking the wind.

So just thought I’d ask again for an updated view. OEM upper air deflectors, good for hot weather or just for cold?

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
I have the oem upper wings. Post 2 and 3 are correct

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
On my '06, I feel the Baker "mirror wings" are twice as effective at both blocking (particularly for hands and shoulders) and bringing in air. The standard Baker wings below them work, but not as much. If they increase riding time and comfort, I don't care how they look.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the oem upper wings. Post 2 and 3 are correct
My impression in hot weather is that you can position the upper wings to give you more airflow than what you get without the wings installed. I had the Baker wings on my F6B and don't find the Honda wings on the 2018 to be lacking compared to the Bakers. I prefer the looks of the Honda wings.

I have the Goldwing Standard with short windshield. Installing the upper wings noticeably reduced wind buffeting around my head and shoulders. My passenger reported a noticeable reduction in wind buffeting in the passenger seat.

Some time later I installed the lower wind deflectors. This virtually eliminated all the air on my arms and shoulders at interstate speeds. My passenger reported no noticeable change from the passenger seat with the lower deflectors installed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
On my 2018 Tour, the OEM upper wings work great, just as mentioned in post 2 and 3. I do notice decent airflow from the uppers when you turn them to deflect air onto the rider. I also have the lowers which I don't think they make as much a difference as the uppers. My feet still feel the cold when riding, but gets wind in Summer, which is good. I haven't ridden in the rain as of yet, but I assume if the wind is hitting my feet, ankles, lower legs, so will the rain. Uppers are worth it and they look nicer that any others, in my opinion. Lowers not so much. I do not like the looks of the Bakers at all, even though I had them on a previous Valkyrie and loved them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like if my number one priority is directing more air onto me in the summer - and it is - that the Bakers are the way to go then. I do prefer the look of the OEM though... it’s a tough call! Will have to think it over.

Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do the lowers help with the heat on your knees coming from the side radiators? Do you find the lowers make it a lot hotter in the seating area when installed? Are the lowers easy to remove and re-attach?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do the lowers help with the heat on your knees coming from the side radiators? Do you find the lowers make it a lot hotter in the seating area when installed? Are the lowers easy to remove and re-attach?
The Lower Air Deflectors do push the radiator exhaust out and away further. I installed ****-O-Pegs and with my feet on the pegs radiator exhaust would get funneled up into my torso area (TOO HOT). Installing the Lower Air Deflectors eliminated this problem. With my feet on the stock pegs it may be a tad cooler with the Lower Air Deflectors installed (a calmer cockpit but less radiator exhaust).

Lower Air Deflectors are easily removed. They are mounted with only 3 screws.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like if my number one priority is directing more air onto me in the summer - and it is - that the Bakers are the way to go then. I do prefer the look of the OEM though... it’s a tough call! Will have to think it over.
So get 'em in clear so the shape isn't as offensive to you :)
I do find they help in warmer weather - angling them 'in' definitely funnels air towards me. I wouldn't call it air conditioning or anything, but there's definitely air flow going on.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the smoked Bakers... Have had them on the last three Wings. Will always use them. I like the looks of the smoked on my red bike better then clear. I think the clear looks cheap in both baker and OEM.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the smoked Bakers... Have had them on the last three Wings. Will always use them. I like the looks of the smoked on my red bike better then clear. I think the clear looks cheap in both baker and OEM.
To each his own - for me it was about maintaining as much of the bike's looks as possible. I didn't want to take anything away from that. In a weird way, kinda like glasses. I have a pair with a heavy black rim, and a pair of rimless that look nearly invisible if I'm not feeling like wearing contacts. I wanted invisible for the Bakers to keep them close to invisible. As always, YMMV. :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How are the Bakers to install, chaps? The Wingstuff website says that no drilling is required, but the Baker website says it is!

·
Registered
2018 Tour DCT
166 Posts
It's not like without the air wings there isn't any air flow on the rider. Just ride the bike in cold weather and you'll realize how much air you'll get. That is why you need the air wings to block the air flow in the winter but not so much to increase it in the summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts