GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to the upper peninsula in August (copper Harbor) any suggestions on things to see?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did the trip a couple years back. Porcupine Mtns, Copper Harbor, Munising(many things inc. Pictured Rocks), Whitefish Point, were the main places. Lots of waterfalls, lakeshore, lighthouse. Very scenic area. You will love it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you are camping, make sure you have plenty of bug spray. The mosquitos will carry you away! At least they did the year I was up there. A can of fogger would be good also.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
There are a lot of "big" women in Newberry and you can drink with the Mayor! Don't ask any further questions....

·
Registered
928 Posts
Adding to what has already been suggested. Mackinaw Island, the Soo to watch the freighters lock up or down into lake Superior. US 2 along the Lake Michigan shore is a nice drive. Tahquamenon Falls, is another must see in my opinion. Actually any where you point your scoot will be a nice ride. As a Michigander a bit prejudiced, and spent 4 years of college in Marquette, almost forgot - make sure you try a Pasty, best eating there is. Ride safe and enjoy the ride. Hope this helps.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Last year I rode with my son-in-law (he lives just west of Ann Arbor) up to and through portions of the UP. Both of us being from New England we agreed that we would never do the trip again, but we are more into the thrill of the ride rather than the scenery. Route 2 along the upper shore of Lake Michigan is as straight as an arrow and the speed is as fast as the interstates. The road to the Pictured Rocks was blocked due to construction and the parks with the waterfalls had long lines of cars waiting to get in. At least half of the businesses and stores had been boarded up. The description we read of a pasty described the filling as "meat like" - not exactly a mouth watering description. The most beautiful scenery I saw was the blue-eyed, blonde waitress at Pickles, a small restaurant somewhere UP there. We did stop at a small restaurant on our way out of the UP and had a breakfast pasty. It was good, but not great. Thankfully not everyone has had our impression of the UP. Please post your impressions of your visit!

Attachments

Reactions: shojac

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife and I just did the counterclockwise circle ride. Started in Duluth and ended in Duluth.
One day to get to and from Duluth, 4 days around the circle.

I found some pot holes in Duluth and Superior that were very bad. All highways were good but enjoyed the Canadian highways going west the best. We traveled on the weekend so not too much construction delays.

1. The road leading up to copper harbor is still a unique experience and worth the ride.

2. We haven't stayed in about 10 years but Gitche Gumee Campground just east of Marquette is an experience.

If your heading into Canada.

3. The Red Rock Inn in Red Rock Lake Ontario is also an experience. The place is about 90 years old but Donnie the owner bought it 2 years ago and is working towards restoring the grand old facility. My wife and I will be returning here when we are in the area.

Hope you have a great trip!

Tom

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Adding to what has already been suggested. Mackinaw Island, the Soo to watch the freighters lock up or down into lake Superior. US 2 along the Lake Michigan shore is a nice drive. Tahquamenon Falls, is another must see in my opinion. Actually any where you point your scoot will be a nice ride. As a Michigander a bit prejudiced, and spent 4 years of college in Marquette, almost forgot - make sure you try a Pasty, best eating there is. Ride safe and enjoy the ride. Hope this helps.

Crabby Bob

I love them, I've eaten my fair share on my trips through the U.P. :grin2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Enjoy the ride over the Mighty Mac bridge, it can be a real pucker. The Soo locks are very interesting if there happens to be boat traffic going through.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just a warning... Some of the towns come up fast and the speed limit goes from 65 to 45 with very little warning. I use a radar detector in my truck, not because I speed but because troopers will sometimes watch when you come into that speed zone.

I love traveling up there. I live in lower Michigan but Tennessee and the UP are a couple of my favorite places to ride.

Reactions: Corkster52

·
Registered
293 Posts
Try the JoeIda Campground, LLC / The campground is located twenty-eight miles East of Munising, MI and eighteen miles West of Grand Marais, MI. We are located one-mile South of Kingston Lake and one-mile off Highway H58. The access road is what we would consider primitive, therefore the campground is better suited for tents, truck campers, truck/ trailers under forty foot in length. We have had larger units access the campground with no issues. We also are pet friendly and off-road vehicles are permitted. (906) 387-1221 That is if you want to be off of the beaten track. The campground is on FB.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Copper Harbor

We were there last year in August. The weather was great. The afternoon we rode up to C H it was so foggy we could not see very far, went back the next morning and it was clear. The ride up and back is nice, from Houghton where we stayed. The fog added to the scenery, however not a lot to do up there.

Between Grand Marais and Munising on H58 is defiantly a must ride. Lots of interesting stops along the lake.

20180820_163655.jpg 20180820_182336.jpg

:thumbup:hobo

·
Registered
832 Posts
We crossed the UP on route 2 just a week ago in a car. As mentioned the road is very straight, tree lined and fast. I did not think there was that much to see.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My only experience riding in the UP was on snowmobile. Stayed at a resort on Gogebic Lake and rode all over the area. Lots of snow the first couple days and then the rain came and really made a mess.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rode there last year, took a full loop of the UP from St. Ignace to De-Tour Village Then up to the Soo Locks then over to Whitefish Point then over to Picture Rocks then up to Copper Harbor then down to Menominee and over to Escanaba. Staying as close to the coastline as we could. Was a great ride. As far as anything specific to see I would take in the Copper Harbor Lighthouse, Brockway Mountain Lookout, and some of the local shoreline parks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Out of Ironwood on Highway 2, left on 28 in Wakefield and then left on CR 519 about 1.3 miles out of Wakefield. Follow to Lake Superior and then left to Lake of the Clouds. Once done at Lake of the Clouds, continue up to Copper Harbor. Be sure to run 26 (hugs the coastline) either on the way up or on the way down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts