GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple upper tail light bulbs out. The three left side 8 mm nuts spun right off. However, 2 out of three on the right side are stuck, and spinning the whole stud. Anybody else have this problem? Any idea how to free those nuts up?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If your bike is under warranty they will fix it , it is a known problem, the studs have broken away fro the lens, if it is not under warranty a GOOD dealer should still fix it. the lights are under warranty also, i would take it in and ask to have the bulbs replaced and let them fix it . If you cant do that some of us have taken a dremmel tool and cut the nut off, be carefull, you will have to either epoxy a new stud to the lens or buy new ones, they ani't cheap. good luck. :biker: :croc: :biker: :croc:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I've never had mine off, so they should not be broken, YET. One of these days teh light bulbs will need replaced. Is there a trick to getting them free without breaking the plastic stud -- such as heating the screw with a soldering iron a bit and then backing it out with a moderately heated screw driver shaft. I've got extended warranty, but am leary of Honda backing that up.

prs

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you want to chance it I took mine off and put anti seize on them when it was new, I do not know of any trick to get them off without breaking them if they are on too tight. I would think that maybe just very slowly tuning them to the right and then try to take them off might work but its plastic bonded to metal. it may just break off. One of the folks who has had more experience with it than I have may chime in with a better suggestion.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tail light acorn nuts

Just took my tail lights a out of an 07 and 5 of the 6 acorn nuts broke loose and came right off. One didn't and spun the stud. Luckily it was not the stud in the deep recesssed mounting hole. Hind sight being 20/20 I believe if I had struck the ratchet handle with a good sharp blow with another wrench it too would have probibly broke loose.
I ended up using the dremal with a small cut off wheel and cut two slices into the nut on the axis of the stud at 180° apart and then used the side cutters to split the nut to remove the nut.
In retrospect I don't think the sharp rap with the wrench against the handle of the ratchet would have done it. The nut was corroided to the stud threads.
The heat of the dremel softened the plastic and pushed the light assy thru the trunk mounting hole. A washer fit in the recess in the trunk will suffice to remount and hold the light.
I had to drill three holes along the stud and epoxy the stud to the light housing to keep it from turning.
Anti sieze will be applied upon reassy.
They can be gotten out with out destroying the light assy. Just takes patience and a little thought to get em out.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Yesterday I found one of the upper left tail lights out. I started to remove the nuts and sure enough, one started spinning without coming off. Thanks to information on this site, I stopped immediately and took the bike to Lundsford Honda here in Houston and was provided with great service.

They got me in right away, found the same problem I did, tried to get it off with an impact wrench, a hammer and chisel and a drill. They probably spent an hour on the thing. They also found there is a lower cover that will simply pop off for access to the bulbs without the needed to take off the cover.

Obviously the cover was messed up with all the hammering and drilling. They have now ordered another housing fully covered by warranty but they left me with a fully functioning bike with all the lights and charged me nothing, nada. Not even for the light that had burnt out.

I'm impressed by their service and I learned something, you don't need to remove the cover or the nuts to replace a burnt out light bulb. Compliments to Lundsford dealership.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tail lights

"They also found there is a lower cover that will simply pop off for access to the bulbs without the needed to take off the cover."

WHERE IS IT?????? EXACTLY.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I guess all of us that still have a warranty left on our bike should try lo take these nuts loose and see if any of them are broke and have them fixed while we still have a warranty. I will check mine tomorrow, both trunk & saddle bags

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Use a hi speed cordless driver to spin the stud and heat it up.
Pry the lamp assembly out.
Remove the nut from the stud and glue it back in.
:agree:Just replaced my r-side with this technique. Old one was cracked

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
"They also found there is a lower cover that will simply pop off for access to the bulbs without the needed to take off the cover."

WHERE IS IT?????? EXACTLY.
It is underneath the back cover. Just feel around underneath and you will feel the lip that you can put your finger into to pry it off. It drops down and you have access to the bulbs. Pry slowly and it will come off. There is a plastic part that extends to the bottom of the case that keeps the cover from coming completely out when the bulbs are in place (why they put this there I don't know).

Here is a diagram I got from another site that is a little more clear then the one on Hal's site. I've circled the housing cover so you can tell what it looks like. The Cover fits into the trunk right under the section where the knurl nuts are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trunk Inner Covers

The inner covers on the tail light assemblies are connected to the bottom of the trunk to let any water that manages to get into the tail light area out without flooding the trunk.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I've never had mine off, so they should not be broken, YET. One of these days teh light bulbs will need replaced. Is there a trick to getting them free without breaking the plastic stud -- such as heating the screw with a soldering iron a bit and then backing it out with a moderately heated screw driver shaft. I've got extended warranty, but am leary of Honda backing that up.

prs

prs

Yes. use an impact driver as discussed in this thread: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296540

I read these boards for awhile before buying my '02. One of the first things I did when I got it home was to remove the tail lights before they froze up. I used an impact such as the ones listed here:

Here's a search of Sears" http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_1...=Tools&sid=ISx20070515x00001a&psid=21x1607118

Here's harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=cordless+impact+driver

You will need one of these for sockets:

they are not screws, they are nuts on studs.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
As has been stated there is no need to remove the entire fixture. I just changed one of mine out the other day. Simply remove the cover(covering the tailight area) on the inside of the trunk by prying up from the bottom. When it pops loose you have access to the bulbs. It is a pain to get snapped back into place, but beats the heck out of going thru removing spun out bolts and removing the whole lens assembly. JMO

Fred

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
the bolts are "bottomed" out in the "acorn" nut!! grind the back of the acorn nut out & they will loosen BEFORE breaking the tailight lense

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tail light removal

FYI being able to remove the bottom plate for replacement is not true for all model years. Mine is an 04 and this is not possible. Not sure what year it was changed.

I made a hole cut saw blade out of 1/4 inch copper tubing, because I could not find one. This will fit around the cap nut and you can then drill through the plastic inside the trunk, turning it by hand. There was only one that was seized on the right side.

Just to check I tried to loosen the three on the left. One came lose, one spun and the other I have been afraid to put anymore torque to it until the time it needs to be taken out.

Not sure what method to use next time, but more than likely it will be the copper tubing again, although it does take some time. I did try soaking over a period of weeks with a penetrating oil, no luck there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts