GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a multi-state trip and now in Carlsbad, NM. Went to fill up Wing and find radiator fluid leaking on the left front bottol of the shelter onto the cowl and dripping onto the ground. Is this an overflow or do i have an issue.

Phone 281-685-6004 if you can help

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I do think you do need to look in between the radiator and fan to see if the fan is hitting the radiator. Has shown to be a problem on some models. Should try to find as dealer as the remedy is replacement. Good luck... others will offer help I'm sure, but if this is the case... no quick fix.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - How do I do tis? DO I take the shelter off?

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
You should be able to look in from the front and see if the fan is contacting the radiator. The LF fairing needs to come off to access the radiator. Best to find the leak first.

Hopefully, someone local can help you out.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
take a thin stick and use it to GENTLY "turn" the fan blade
... you might be able to hear it scrapping or rubbing..

Dennis

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Rocky has already phoned him..

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
help needed

Spring, If you "must" be home to go to work

Tuesday morning -------- determine if the fan

is rubbing the rad. If so disable it.

Remove the R pocket, attach 5/16 or 3/8

fuel hose to rad over flow. Use a clamp.

Use a fluid transfer pump (looks like a bicycle

pump) to maintain fluid in rad while under

way.

If you have a co-rider and no trailer

this would be too diffcult to be practical.

I would spend today trying to make this

work and travel at night. Cooler.

Test locally before leaving CB.

Oh and if the rad cap is loose (but locked)

but not tight there will be no pressure.

Or rent a storage locker and a car.

My hope is that you can wait untill repairs

can be made.

Flush system with antifreeze before final

fill to remove city water after repairs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Personally, i would try to find the cause of the drips before launching a complete teardown. 1) look under bike and try to see where wetness is - near overflow tank or elsewhere. 2) check the level of coolant in the filler under the right glove box. 3) if it isn't bone dry, refill with proper coolant and ride, watching the temp guage occasionally. If you have a cell phone, it won't cost any more to carry it from the side of the road than from a parking lot. 4) if it doesn't overheat, check the coolant level when you stop for gas just in case. (BTW- This is just what I would do, not what I would expect everyone to do).

It could be your bike got a little too hot while at low speeds.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Mine was one of the bikes with the fan/radiator problem. First I smelled antifreeze then next ride the leaks started. I had water on top of the valve covers. Leaking hose probably would do the same. Wouldn't ride it until I found out if I were you. Mine went from smelling to pegged out registering hot in about 50 miles. Had to park it and come back with 'injured bike transporter'(not a trailer);) I think the fan was grinding into the radiator like a sander into wood. Slowly but surely cutting a bigger hole at each mile. It was covered by warrenty but took a few days for parts.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rocky and all others - Thank you for your calls and assistance. One of the callers this morning directed me to Champion Motorsports in Roswell, a short 75 miles from Carlsbad. I will ad his name to the post when I find my paperwork because without him I think I would have been lost...

At the dealer, who has service on Saturdays, after explaining my prblen, the service Manager John had his tech, Josh drop what he was doing to take on my problem... What they found was a clamp problem, but not the one we thought we would see. After having the Wing serviced prior to this trip, service that included a new transmission, we find that the clamps were overtightened on the radiator hoses. So tight that they cut the hose causing the fluid to leak... Josh cut the bad part of the hose off, reconnected the hose and off we were!!!.

Great dealership, quality work and great people!!!!!!!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky and all others - Thank you for your calls and assistance. One of the callers this morning directed me to Champion Motorsports in Roswell, a short 75 miles from Carlsbad. I will ad his name to the post when I find my paperwork because without him I think I would have been lost...

At the dealer, who has service on Saturdays, after explaining my prblen, the service Manager John had his tech, Josh drop what he was doing to take on my problem... What they found was a clamp problem, but not the one we thought we would see. After having the Wing serviced prior to this trip, service that included a new transmission, we find that the clamps were overtightened on the radiator hoses. So tight that they cut the hose causing the fluid to leak... Josh cut the bad part of the hose off, reconnected the hose and off we were!!!.

Todd.It's good to hear that the shop took care of you ASAP.
Have fun on the rest of your trip.:thumbup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rocky! IN Socorro NM tonight and off to Flagstaff in the AM for a South Rim tour!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Glad to read you got all fixed and so easily.

As for the board members that called to help the rider. Your all the BEST.:yes1::yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Good news for you, but all I remember is the traffic on rte to the south rim on Holiday weekends. Worked for a little while in Williams, AZ., and traffic was worse then Manhatten on holidays. Keep an eye on left radiator for fan hitting down the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. Those guys at Champion have always come through for me when I need them. I am very close to a dealership here in Alamogordo, and one in Las Cruces, but will take the extra time and miles to go to Champion. Plus the ride up over the mountains is always enjoyable.

Enjoy your trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts