GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our riding group of 2 Wings & 2 BMWs is meeting in 2 weeks to discuss our ideas of our annual 1 or 2 week trip for 2019. We have been nearly everywhere in the good old USA except for the Pacific NW. Three of us live in NW Illinois and one deserter who moved to Arizona a few years ago.

US 2 has always held my attention simply because of it's route designation. I'm sure I have touched/ridden on a small portion of it, but it offers an intriguing route if there is an consensus on the Pacific NW being our destination.

For those who live along or have traveled our starting (Duluth, MN) and ending (Seattle) route what are the impetus' for me to offer this road for this year's ride?

While curvy roads are enjoyable to ride and enjoy (we tend to ride rather aggressive when the opportunity arises) scenic/historic routes are always considered as well.

Can anyone comment on this as a route for this year's ride for us?

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
A small detour at Browning, MT will let you ride the Going to the Sun Highway. IMO, you will be close enough and it's a must do, IMO. YMMV

Reactions: JF11

·
Registered
391 Posts
I can only comment on part of the ride

When returning home (central IL) from Seattle, we rode Rt. 2 from north of Seattle to Spokane.
It was beautiful. You will see tumbleweeds blowing across the highway.
Some of the mesa were right out of a Louis L'Amour novel.
We only got off at Spokane as we needed to make tracks home...running out of vacation days, and speed became important.
I have hopes of riding a much longer portion of 2 again...it looks like it would be pretty all the way to Duluth.

good luck on the planning
bryon

·
Registered
679 Posts
We did that one year during a 3 week vacation, traveled Hwy 2 from end to end. I really enjoyed it, but, the wife not so much. I believe it was too rural and at times dull to her.

We did get in a situation one evening where we couldn't find lodging and had to travel much further than we really wanted to that day. After that we started doing some planning on where we could be the next evening.

An experience for sure!!!!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Nice ride, emerald green reservoirs to view from above, lot of glaciers. It's also very common for the tops of the mountains to be clouded over. Stop for the self kicking machine in Rockport.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
2 used to be mostly a 2 lane highway but the big oil business out there has pretty much changed that, now it’s mostly a 4 lane highway .

If you like riding through big timber and logging country I recommend highway 20 across Washington state.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Took rt 2 from Mi. to Oceanside, Or. It is four lane however due to lack of traffic travels more like x-way. As mentioned lodging can be difficult to find in Oil areas, W N. Dakota and Montana. We broke off and took the Columbia River road and was a great ride. Lots of good stuff to see and if the earth keeps warming will change a lot in the future.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I’ve run as far as Idaho on US2 3 times. If I head that way again I am considering a much more leasure pace and North Dakota Highway 200. If it becomes super boring, I can alway divert up to Hwy 2 or down to interstate 94. Last run out there was very busy on Labor Day weekend, so traffic sucked. God willing, I’ll be retiring before I go again. That 200 looks ‘different’.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You riders are a great source of rider info!!!!

I am awaiting more info from my riding bros...

farmerbk, my birth and mostly considered home town was Champaign...

ended up in Freeport because of employment

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, every poster
Ur comments will be considered

·
Registered
391 Posts
You riders are a great source of rider info!!!!

I am awaiting more info from my riding bros...

farmerbk, my birth and mostly considered home town was Champaign...

ended up in Freeport because of employment

Mike

always cool to learn about things like that.
I worked up and down a large part of the state to be able to settle 15 miles from 'home'...Ivesdale, Illinois
Thanks for the shout back
bryon

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, Ivesdale the one source of alcohol on Sundays back in the long a go days back then...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Tall on the bucket list in the PNW is
Banff, CA

Ice field Parkway
Lola Pass
Highway 212 (Bearthooth Pass)
Port Angles to Victoria and Vancouver Island (the Garden Island)
Passport required into Canada, there is a lot more this is just a start.

-
Pictures are the Black Ball Ferry from Port Angles....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Here's some suggestions for the Washington leg. Follow 2 to Wilber, then take a detour on 174 heading North to Grand Coulee. During the Summer, after dark, they do a laser light show on the spillway of Grand Coulee dam. It tells about the Columbia river and the Grand Coulee project. There's a camp ground near by. From there, return South along Banks Lake on 155 to Coulee City and 2. A bit further on 2, you'll come to Leavenworth. Leavenworth was a Silver mining town, and when the silver played out, it almost disappeared. A restaurant owner dressed up his place to look like an old Bavarian Hostel, with a screened in back deck so customers could watch the bears that would come down to the river while they ate. It caught on, and soon the rest of the town followed suit. Today, it's filled with clock, Christmas decoration, ceramic, and other specialty shops. It even has a German Glockenspiel. It's an amazing place. Depending on when you arrive, where 2 meets I-5 around Everett, there are massive fields of tulips that stretch as far as you can see. Then there's Seattle. The Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, where they have a carnival and the Space Needle, and the Boeing Museum of Flight, are all must see's. If you arrive during Sea Fair, they hold hydroplane races on Lake Washington. This year it's August 2nd-4th, Blue Angels, Unlimited Hydroplane races, Pro wake boarding, and BMX.

There you go, that's what I have to offer.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
If your looking for something on the return leg, there are three roads in the Northwest that I've had the pleasure of visiting several times. And when I get a chance I will be doing them again.

Lolo pass (highway 12) from Missoula to Lewiston
The Old Spiril Highway just north of Lewiston- Google it!!
Highway 129 from Clarkston south toward Oregon.

I like curvy roads and these are three that are worth the visit.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
If your looking for something on the return leg, there are three roads in the Northwest that I've had the pleasure of visiting several times. And when I get a chance I will be doing them again.

Lolo pass (highway 12) from Missoula to Lewiston
The Old Spiril Highway just north of Lewiston- Google it!!
Highway 129 from Clarkston south toward Oregon.

I like curvy roads and these are three that are worth the visit.
Good stuff right there! Hwy 12 is great, and Orofino is a very nice place to spend the night. The Konkoville Motel is very bike friendly, and Orofino has a few great places to enjoy.....shall we say, an adult beverage or 2. :grin2:

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Geographical Center of North America is on Route 2 in Rugby, North Dakota. After leaving Voyageurs National Park this coming July, I am also riding Route 2 to Washington State.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ah, Ivesdale the one source of alcohol on Sundays back in the long a go days back then...

Mike
were you or other family members at Chanute back in the day?
I have heard that refrain from my youngest days....and it was only allowed in Ivesdale as the town was actually in two counties (part of of the town is in Piatt county)

just a curiosity...thanks
bryon

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Bryon neither I or anyone in my family was in the Air Force or stationed at Chanute. My Dad's hometown was Thomasboro, just south of Chanute, so were around Chanute a lot, but only actually on the base when they had open house type events. I was a military nut as a kid and was always eager to go on base.

I was drafted in the Army in 1966 and spent my 2 years driving a semi around West Germany, having the time of my life. One year after I left the Army I was again fortunate to be accepted into the Illinois State Police academy and I spent 33 years in the ISP stationed out of the District 16 HQs in Pecatonica, west of Rockford and lived in Freeport, where I still live.

Regards,
Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts